Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: XKCD features Dwarf fortress.  (Read 10690 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD features Dwarf fortress.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:16:37 am »

There's a "Yo Dawg" joke in there somewhere...

Like this?

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 10:25:18 am »

There's a "Yo Dawg" joke in there somewhere...

Like this?

And after many months of searching a new desktop wallpaper was found, and there was much rejoicing
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »

No but I work in Surveillance surveillance, I like my DF 3 layers deep.
Big fan of nether-caps I take it?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 02:51:41 pm »

Obviously, those who work in surveillance would not say they work in surveillance, therefore, given that King Mir asked the question, which he would have known the answer to if he was a spy, and thus wouldn't have asked, and Akhier and Man of Paper answered the question in the negative, we can deduce that those who did not declare themselves not in surveillance are in surveillance. Thus, we can deduce that Fien, smirk, Chessrook44,Draco18s, Dorflord and Buttery_Mess, are all spies. UNLESS, MoLAoS's statement that, quote, "You're all filthy ninjas", end-quote, is to not to believed (if it is, then it is merely further proof of their status as "The Man") in which case MoLAoS's is the only spy here at the time of this report. Does that answer your question OP?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »

Anybody here work in surveillance?

No, but this guy does and he's just a contractor dwarf with economy set to on.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One of the things that many people don't understand is that the government has been keeping tabs on US citizens since the Hoover era, but only those who are linked to overseas terror/spying. While this hysteria may get to insane extremes, i.e. the Palmer Raids and the Japanese internment, this is by far not something that's exactly news. The NSA works primarily in overseas signals intelligence, and is only allowed to investigate domestically through a lengthy warrant from a federal judge and if there is ample evidence that the case is tied to overseas. However, if it's something crucial and cannot wait for a warrant, then they maybe able to go ahead and tap.This is the exception though, not the rule.
Another thing to note is the fact that the NSA, FBI, or CIA does not have the time, money, or resources to continually keep track of 320 million American citizens. Tech companies such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, and so on keep a closer eye on American citizens out of the interest of advertising and sales. PRISM is essentially a giant dumpster for data, and simply means they have data on hand so it doesn't expire.
The highest irony of this is people who post about how horrible this is on Facebook while on Google Chrome, without using adblock, noscript, or ghostery.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »

The following spoiler cotains a extremly cotroversial snarky and sarcastic opinion of mine. You are warned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:29:02 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 06:30:42 pm »

Ehhh My Happy Face the thing about me is I try to have an opinion on everything.

Yet I can recognize when I have an informed opinion, highly informed opinion, uninformed unmoralistic opinion, and moralistic uninformed opinion.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 06:32:32 pm »

Who oversees the Overseers?
The OVERSEERS, of course.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 06:47:12 pm »

Who oversees the Overseers?
The OVERSEERS, of course.

Huh not the Therapist?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »

Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »

One of the things that many people don't understand is that the government has been keeping tabs on US citizens since the Hoover era, but only those who are linked to overseas terror/spying. While this hysteria may get to insane extremes, i.e. the Palmer Raids and the Japanese internment, this is by far not something that's exactly news. The NSA works primarily in overseas signals intelligence, and is only allowed to investigate domestically through a lengthy warrant from a federal judge and if there is ample evidence that the case is tied to overseas. However, if it's something crucial and cannot wait for a warrant, then they maybe able to go ahead and tap.This is the exception though, not the rule.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
-->
Weather Underground
COINTELPRO
------
The "terror cell" in Florida that was fully led by an FBI or CIA agent (I forget which).
The FBI spying on US Muslim citizens in California, planting "converts" to frame some of them.
^Patriot Act, basically^

The biggest issue here is that the whistleblower is a private contractor. The spying is nothing new. The other issue is how little they are able to sift through because the data mass is enormous. Flimsy connections will be good enough because there's nothing better.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:03:06 pm by BigD145 »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »

The comic has nothing to do with the NSA leak. It's not political commentary. XKCD doesn't do political commentary. The closest it has are some very detailed pages of charts of various things.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
-->
Weather Underground
COINTELPRO
------
The "terror cell" in Florida that was fully led by an FBI or CIA agent (I forget which).
The FBI spying on US Muslim citizens in California, planting "converts" to frame some of them.
^Patriot Act, basically^

The biggest issue here is that the whistleblower is a private contractor. The spying is nothing new. The other issue is how little they are able to sift through because the data mass is enormous. Flimsy connections will be good enough because there's nothing better.
I'm not surprised, considering how vast and sprawling the government is. Having constant infighting and extremely bizarre, autonomous actions is one of those things that will always be around I guess.
But yes, I agree the fact that it was a private contractor working for an independent company that was the biggest issue, not necessarily what was revealed. I feel only pity for the guy who approved his clearance. Guess the US intelligence community will keep closer tabs, hehe, on who they decide to hire.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:00 pm »

The comic has nothing to do with the NSA leak. It's not political commentary. XKCD doesn't do political commentary. The closest it has are some very detailed pages of charts of various things.

Except when he talks about DRM. Then it's a filibuster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4