Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: XKCD features Dwarf fortress.  (Read 10693 times)

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD features Dwarf fortress.
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 09:12:26 am »

Man, this thread derailment made me remember that I had to get our henway replaced.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »

Just because government is the one making the laws doesn't mean they are above the law.
That's one of the reasons we live in a democracy and not a dictatorship.

The US is not a democracy. It is a serial dictatorship with highly pluralised powersharing amongst the oligarchy. This isn't to say that areas aren't given a degree of autonomy, but defiance of the state is met with brutal aggression. If the people were free to rule their own lives, that would not occur.

There was a time when the people were capable of indicting the President. That is no longer possible. The Law is a stick that the rich and powerful use to beat the poor and keep them in their place. Of course, capitalist enterprises also use the law to extort money from one another- although, that is an example of futile and useless legalism is as a means of social organisation.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »

Just because government is the one making the laws doesn't mean they are above the law.
That's one of the reasons we live in a democracy and not a dictatorship.

The US is not a democracy. It is a serial dictatorship with highly pluralised powersharing amongst the oligarchy. This isn't to say that areas aren't given a degree of autonomy, but defiance of the state is met with brutal aggression. If the people were free to rule their own lives, that would not occur.

There was a time when the people were capable of indicting the President. That is no longer possible. The Law is a stick that the rich and powerful use to beat the poor and keep them in their place. Of course, capitalist enterprises also use the law to extort money from one another- although, that is an example of futile and useless legalism is as a means of social organisation.
If the US wasn't a 'dictatorship', then DF wouldn't exist. So there.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 10:55:58 pm »

That makes us an aristocracy, not a "serial dictatorship."

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 11:47:49 am »

That makes us an aristocracy, not a "serial dictatorship."
Uh.. is that better?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »

Hey, look! A webcomic and Dwarf Fortress!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 01:27:03 pm »

Oh, it's all about the US government now. Now you know why you fear the derail!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »

Indeed. The most dangerous thing about PRISM is not that they could very easily use this metadeta to blackmail members of congress and single handedly own the political powers of the most annoying country on the face of the Earth nor is it that they can use it to very easily find and destroy political dissent.
No, the most dangerous thing about what the NSA is doing is that they could be attempting to steal Dwarf Fortress all for themselves. Those pricks.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 05:27:40 pm »

Indeed. The most dangerous thing about PRISM is not that they could very easily use this metadeta to blackmail members of congress and single handedly own the political powers of the most annoying country on the face of the Earth nor is it that they can use it to very easily find and destroy political dissent.
No, the most dangerous thing about what the NSA is doing is that they could be attempting to steal Dwarf Fortress all for themselves. Those pricks.
*gasp*
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:17 pm »

Looks like its time to stop paying taxes.

FortressMinimus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

jtfc!  ::) Just slap a "Well, that escalated quickly" on this and let it go.
I looked at this thread because I didn't know Dwarf Fortress existed before that comic came out.  After playing it a while and reading other threads on this forum I wasn't expecting Art Bell's audience to show up.
protip: get past denial, anger,bargaining and depression.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 06:22:08 pm »

Allow me to be one of the first to welcome you to our corner of the internet.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:32 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]