Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DFHack Plugin: Digging Invaders Version 0.6  (Read 56491 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack Plugin: Digging Invaders Version 0.5
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2013, 08:57:47 am »

They mine and build up/down staircases. :)

I really want to include this in MasterworkDF, but I have to wait till I am back in Germany. Otherwise I cant make it an optional setting in the UI (I left the source code at home), and I know most people will find this too hardcore.

So, since they go up and down too, the new way to make your fort completely secure is to have a magma/water/air moat that goes all the way down to SMR around your fort (or also underneath your fort, submerged floors supporting the sides, and a separately drainable accessway for going even deeper), and only a drawbridge across for access? So dwarfy. Reminds me of some Terraria houses that had a bit of lava around and under them against worms (which are apparently immune to lava in more recent versions, so I can't find the picture).

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2013, 12:49:14 pm »

Basically. They also might not path if it requires removing bridges that are above down stairs. It was too hard to make them not destroy bridges that are necessary to path across but still destroy bridges that are necessary to destroy, so if I remember correctly, they just don't destroy any.

They also might have issues if there's a complete planar magma moat. I forget if I checked for that. They might try to dig through magma, which would be problematic.

And all the other things that I mentioned in the first post.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:54:43 pm by expwnent »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 11:44:17 pm »

I'd actually like the idea of them digging wet/warm rocks into water/magma. Even if it might hurt FPS, it will lead to fun and randomness... and they might even breach your moat this way, sooner or later.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:49 am »

So does this apply to all members of a race with Invader tag, even if it's just a lowly thief or ambusher still in stealth?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2013, 02:55:46 pm »

For now, yes. It's per species though, so you could make goblins dig and kobolds not dig.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 12:52:53 am »

Can I also add this to non-civ creatures, like megabeasts?

"The giant something something has come, the super epic enemy of all dwarves. Beware its ability to look helplessly at your wooden walls and do nothing."

Same goes for FBs. Digging FBs would be fun, plus wall-razing megabeast & titans on the surface.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:48 pm »

I guess, but they'd have to be treated more or less homogenously. They're generated randomly during worldgen and there'd have to have a way of deciding which ones should be in which category.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 07:03:06 pm »

I guess, but they'd have to be treated more or less homogenously. They're generated randomly during worldgen and there'd have to have a way of deciding which ones should be in which category.

But it could be applied to custom megabeasts?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:26 pm »

If custom megabeasts are just creatures, then they work the same as any other creature.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:05 am »

Yes, they are creatures just like any other. The procedually generated ones (demons, titans, fbs) are a bit more complicated, but their naming scheme is always the same.

CREATURE:FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1 is the ID of the first, and so on. I'd just copy paste that from 1 - 100 or so, and let you know if that has any effect, once I see one ingame. I havent added the script to the mod yet (because I couldnt make it optional) but next release might have it. :)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:59 am »

Looking at the source, that ought to work.

It wouldn't be that big a deal to switch it to something like "every race that begins with this string has these attributes". That would be easier for modders if you want to do stuff with multiple subraces or with forgotten beasts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 10:21:55 am »

I'm always a bit confused when you speak of races. There are creatures and there are entities, and I never know which one you mean with race. ;)

Procedually generated creatures are just that, creatures, not a civ/entity. But if you can do this, it would be a great improvement, because that would be the first time that dfhack (or modders in general) have done anything to mod procedually generated creatures. Making FBs and Titans better is awesome, and if they can be targeted with scripts, I wouldnt even mind giving them a metal-skin layer or a material-force-multiplier that protects them. Because atm most of them are pushovers.

I wont do much with multiple subraces, I just thought it would suck if too many diggers come all the time, so rather have a rare, single digger approaching you, instead of every unit in a big army. Thats where the idea with the skulking race (like kobolds) comes from. First you get attacked by goblins... then you get attacked by goblins and maybe a lone goblin will come and open a path. I can even make him look like a miner/sapper and give him appropriate names and professions. Fits a lot better then just making any creature dig. I think it will work out great. :)

Megabeasts and Frost Giants and Titans could approach from the surface and deconstruct walls, while some sneaky miners come and dig into your fort, together with FBs and one digging race from the caverns. :)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 11:33:07 am »

When I said race I meant creature.

I'm not sure what you mean by targetting them in scripts. If you know how to give skin layers and such to a creature in runtime when they don't have them in the raws, then you should be able to do that with forgotten beasts and any other randomly generated creatures in the same way.

I could make things settable by caste instead of by creature. It'd be slightly awkward, but not difficult.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:01 am »

By caste you would give modders more to play around with... but honestly I havent seen any mods running this. Which greatly suprises me. Its one of the most wanted features in the suggestions forum, and here it is... but no one includes it. Weird.

I'd be fine with the script as is, but if you want to refine it more I wouldnt say no.

What I meant with targetting procedually generated creatures with scripts: Usually modders change content by rewriting the raws. Thats not possible with titans, demons and fbs. Not at all, no modder can access those. You can extract the raws from the world.dat, but there is no way to automatically extract, mod, and put them back in. And I dont know how to give skin layers and such to a creature in runtime, I only know how to do that by modding the raws. ;)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »

It's more of a niche plugin. I can certainly understand why a lot of people wouldn't want it. It does have the potential to uglify your fort, if only a little.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6