Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 4  (Read 15779 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 4
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2021, 04:11:55 am »

All this talk about CoE made me load up CoE4 again, and I ended up turtling with dwarves while two big AI swarmed around my mines with massive armies. And then I realized.... My ballista have a range of 16 for their siege attack. Does this mean that if I have so many units in my fort that the siege weapons are more than 16 tiles away from the enemy, that they won't fire?

I hope not, because that would make the inability to place units manually inexcusable.

yes if its not in range it cant shoot anything. but than again ballistas will be placed on walls i think if you get attacked. well right click the place and it shows you how it will be setup if you get attacked.

similar problem with mages... i was attacking kobolds and one kobold had a spell that set 10 units of me on fire every 2 turns... but i had so many units that the mage in the back had no range to cast the fire protection spell to the front row.
and near the end of the fight that mage with the fire protect spell got set on fire by that kobold..... and yea... he never cast that protection spell on himself and burned to death over several turns. *sigh*
i guess what spells they cast is afterall just random... and not what makes sense. (might need to micro manage turning spells on/off for some cases)

the mage i have with a lvl 3 sleep spell for the entire battlefield is way good though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:15:46 am by Nelia Hawk »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2021, 04:41:15 am »

but than again ballistas will be placed on walls i think if you get attacked.

Nope.  :(

Are these same problems in CoE5? Because wow is it painful watching your men be like "O shit, we put the ranged units too far away from the walls to actually be useful".

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2021, 05:27:03 am »

Are these same problems in CoE5? Because wow is it painful watching your men be like "O shit, we put the ranged units too far away from the walls to actually be useful".

hmm i never used siege engines much in CoE4, so never noticed if they are placed "too far away"... but it could also just be the "problem" of having a giant army, so the 10 infantry rows have to fight eachother first till the archers can get in range after most of the infantry died. but armies the size of 200-400+ "work better" in dominions5 than in CoE4/5. still teh combat in CoE with the grid is fun to watch.

here a pic of the sleep spell setting the enemy army to sleep while the two golems are basically the only things that squeezed through that tiny gap and cleared out the enemy units.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

after the fight it seems that my two animated ballista are placed right on the front walls... than the blob of infrantry to hold the gates and the archers in the back. but there isnt alot of "walls" to place ranged units on. ofcourse all the bows cant hit anything till the whole infantry is basically dead.

here another random army i found... seems there they did place the catapult behind the walls and not in the far back.

so far i havent seen "weird placement" of units in CoE5... i noticed the terracotta soldiers are set in rank "front-" (the last front row) with their range 2 pikes. (well that is not weird but i found pretty good its set up like that)
not sure how usefull the two units in the back tower are over on this one... but than again not like i have many units here... i guess mages would go on the back tower? and archers would fill the front wall first and then get added to the back tower?

but i like all the new bits added to the combat maps like bushes and rocks and trees and houses, like here in this port town the extra houses make some little choke points after the walls:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:29:22 am by Nelia Hawk »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2021, 06:12:01 am »

First off, that's a lot of cool stuff I haven't seen before. Mods?

As for the artillery, I guess it's just dwarf mines that don't allow ballista on the walls, because my ballista are on the walls in a town just fine. Maybe an oversight by the devs?

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2021, 06:41:20 am »

First off, that's a lot of cool stuff I haven't seen before. Mods?

no mods its just CoE5

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2021, 10:24:47 am »

That was one of the advertised improvements in CoE5 - I wanna say better siege unit placement in particular, but better unit placement in general. It seems an awful lot like defending siege units now get priority placement in sieges, as do archers. I'm tempted to say attacking ones might not, though. The flip side is that - as Nelia notes - different forts can have very different maps so "center block of infantry to guard the gate" does seem to have a higher priority than ranged.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 10:27:23 am by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2021, 06:57:03 pm »

Never bought 4, but I picked up 5 today. Having good fun with a Necromancer right now fighting a 2 front war between a couple of AIs. It would be manageable, but somehow spirits from Hades are invading the mortal plane and capturing all my towns behind the lines, so instead it's complete chaos.

Also can confirm ballistae get placed on the walls, even if there's hundreds of defenders in the town.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2021, 04:24:28 am »

Should someone start a thread about CoE5 specifically?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2021, 12:30:01 pm »

Should someone start a thread about CoE5 specifically?
Probably?  :P

I don't own it, so Not It;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]