Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 497268 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »

Uninspired sequels
Unending sequels that only add marginal changes to the game mechanics, as a desperate attempt to cash in on the first game success. So many time a game could have been good, but there are so many concessions for the sake of being like the original that it end up being bad. There is nothing wrong with taking a good game, and making a sequel that is different gameplay-wise as long as the spirit of the first is respected. The worst is that fan will go rabid if they dare change their beloved game in any significant way, so the blame is not solely on the developers here.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 12:57:17 pm »

Uninspired sequels
so like that gears of war game that no one bought?

edit: the one after 3

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 01:16:04 pm »

There was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem where you have a sanity meter as well as a health bar, and the more crazy crap your character witnessed the more sanity they lost and the more they would hallucinate. The game even broke the fourth wall just in an attempt to try to screw with your head when your sanity was low (controller has been unplugged messages, things like that).
I'm tempted to go through all of these and throw my two cents in.

"Slow walk communication"
This I feel is somewhat related to invisible walls, unless it's an open-world game. The developers don't want you moving past a certain scripted area but they want to provide the illussion of free movement, so they slow you down to a point where you possinly can't run forwards far enough to trigger the next sequence. In the case of open-world games, I suppose it's just a way to get you to try to focus on the conversation rather than screwing around with stuff, I dunno. We should be able to choose whether we care about the conversation or not, right?

"Highly stylized menu screens" and Orange Deus Ex floating graphics nonsense
This is a problem with graphics design as a whole. Generally you want graphics to give clear information to the player without being intrusive, whether it be a GUI, a menu, or objects in a game world. In Uncharted there was a fairly clear path without making it glow brightly with a 'jump here' symbol. The thing is the whole 'augmented reality' thing is 'cool' so they're trying to find ways to put that into games. Watch Dogs is a big example, where you're supposed to be using your character's cellphone to see all the floating GUI stuff.

Unskippable and flow breaking tutorials
Once upon a time you read the instruction manual to learn how to play the game. Nowadays people don't want to read the instruction manual, they want to play the game, so they plug the instruction manual directly into the first chapter of the game. I remember that Half-Life had an in-game tutorial separate from the actual game, there should be no excuse to have to spend so much gameplay/story on teaching the player basic functionality of the game. It's fine to introduce concepts at a steady pace but we shouldn't need our hands held the whole way through.

Regenerating health
It kinda depends on what brand of regenerating health and the context used in-game. I remember one game where you had health chunks and if you lose a whole chunk it wouldn't regenerate, so you had to use health packs, which is a fairly decent compromise IMO. Assassin's Creed had a 'health' system that I had been imagining for some time, where you only had one or two hit points, but you had a 'composure shield' where doing well would keep the flow going, but as your character/the player struggled to block hits he would lose his composure until he's unable to block them/loses his composure and is hit hard. I think Overgrowth may have something like this but I haven't tried that in a long time. I suppose it's the same principle as a shield, only you'd have much less health underneath it.

No inventory screen
I suppose people feel that inventory screens break the flow of gameplay too much? Lots of games only allow you to carry one or two weapons at a time, for example, because swapping weapons would require you to open an inventory screen, cycle through a list of weapons with one or two buttons, or be playing with a mouse and keyboard.

Needless RPG elements in multiplayer
This is what's known as 'the treadmill'. You might not like playing the game so much, but you have a desire to reach the next level or unlock the next set of gear so you keep playing.

Awful FOV/locked low FPS (Also colorblind mode)
I feel this is primarily a console issue, as increasing/messing with the FOV would require toning the graphics down so the hardware can handle it. Also, colorblindness, it's a thing that actually happens. I'm not affected but it must suck looking at some GUI's and not knowing what the hell is going on. Just have an option that changes a few colors around and you should be set, right?

Long scripted set pieces that add nothing to gameplay
There's lots of instances of the player character doing things during a sequence that is completely impossible for them to do during gameplay. Jumping really high, running up walls, sliding under debris, that kinda thing. If you can't do it during gameplay there had better be a good reason to be able to do it once the controls are taken from the player.

Too many QTEs
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about QTE's. Some could argue that many games are just QTE's where you have to press the same buttons you would in a QTE but you actually have freedom to control yourself. The problem with QTE's is that failing one shouldn't mean instant death/game over, it should instead lead you down a different path or take a chunk of health off. The game shouldn't punish you for putting the controller down during a cutscene either. A cutscene should be a cutscene. Imagine if you put the remote down while watching TV, but the program restarted every time you didn't press certain buttons at certain times. Yeah, nope.

Slow movement speeds + lack of decent sprint
I'd like to chalk this up to the amount of buttons on a controller, but games like Assassins Creed do it well enough that there should be no excuse. Just having a single button on the controller be a 'modifier' button essentially doubles the amount of button presses available on the pad. it could also be a gampeplay thing, though it is still pretty annoying especially when having to travel long distances or get back into a fight etc.

No rebindable keys
There is no excuse for this, is there? I can't really think of a single one.

Lazy level design/linear walling
You have to keep in mind things like Call of Duty and Warfighter are primarily multiplayer games, at least these days they are. It is entirely possible to create linear games that aren't limited and aren't just a corridor.

Bad checkpoint saving
I can't think of a game I recently played that had a bad checkpoint system, it seems to me every single encounter has a checkpoint to make sure that you can get through the encounters. Players should have the freedom to save whenever they want though. I really hate those open world games that require you to move to a certain spot in order to save (save points). What if I have to shut the game off right now? Too bad, all that progress is lost or you have to wait while I walk all the way to the save point and I don't have a sprint function =p

Lack of health bars
This may be loosely tied to the regenerating health issue. Seeing your health bar get close to zero and have it mysteriously fill back up probably isn't as acceptable to people as opposed to seeing the fading vignette. The vignette is more subtle. I would personally prefer health bars though, I like seeing exactly how much health I have. Bonus points if you can enable numbers so you can see just how many points of health you have as opposed to an estimate.

Quest compasses
In a linear game this should be completely unnecessary. In a game where you have something like a GPS I can see it being more reasonable. If anything, more games should have the quest compass point in a direction, but the objective shouldn't be directly on that point. You should have to discover it yourself, or use observation to find it instead of the game taking all the exploration out of it.

Make failure an option
I used to play the demo for Operation Flashpoint back before it came out. I loved that demo, and it only had one or two missions, and yet I remember one of them fondly. You and your squad drive up to a town in Malden and make a downhill assault into it, and then you prceed into the more densely structured area. After that your squad spots a tank column approaching and you have to retreat since you don't have the firepower to take them out. That is, if everything goes right. If all of your squad dies (es they can die, what a novel concept) then you radio to Papa Bear and they tell you to fall back while you can. The game does not abruptly end, you have to fight your way back out and retreat.
I believe there were also branching missions where failure to hold a town meant assaulting it in a later mission, that kind of thing.

Cutscenes
On top of unskipable cutscenes, unpausable cutscenes are a bad offender. If something comes up I should be able to pause the scene and com back later. Huge bonus points if the cutscene has a scrubber and I can fast forward and rewind through it.

Sequels
I'm fine with sequels being similar to their parent games, otherwise they wouldn't really be in the same franchise, right? What I don't like is the game not changing at all or to such a minor extent that there's no purpose to owning the sequel over the original. Sure, stories can continue, but I want some new interesting game mechanics or some feature that keeps me interested during the meat of the game.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »

Gimped/No Jumping
In way too many games the jump bar just an apathetic and useless hop. Fuck realism, I want to be able to scale buildings with my godlike thighs, and double jump with my god-knows-what.

No Mod Support
Your game isn't that great. It may be great, but it's not that great. You didn't even let me double jump. Let someone make it better, even if it means putting up with the dozens of obnoxious pony mods.

Bad Optimization
Anybody enthusiastic about gaming who can't afford an expensive gaming computer is severely limited in what they can enjoy. Graphics really aren't important to a lot of people, and if given the option (or modability) to downgrade it to minecraft level ugliness, they'd do so in an instant to just play the game.

Youtube Based Community
Out of the developer's control, but the single largest thing standing in the way of me enjoying many games. If a game gets bandwagon'd by a bunch of channels doing moronic playthroughs, then you can expect that game to be forever tainting by the herds of socially retarded 12 year olds that watch that stuff. The multiplayer becomes barely playable out of private matches, and even in single player I'll feel their dirty presence. It's depressing when a good game succumbs to something like this.

Causality
I feel like any game that has ambition to be great needs to be able to withstand the trials of a million nerds. Streamlining for people who are new to the game or gaming in general is fine if that streamlining leads to a future sunset period of challenge and difficulty that'll satisfy the people who are actually really interested in your game and genre.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:15 pm »

Pretty much everything has already been covered except for

Idiotic characters

If you're going to put someone in a game, make their actions make sense, or provide some justification for their stupidity. If a story makes no sense whatsoever in the context of the player's actions, you've screwed up. No Archmage, you don't need to kill yourself to fill a black soul gem. I have one right here.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:57 pm »

Some of my own pet peeves:

Strategy games with inverse difficulty curves (some games I feel like the challenge is gone before I even reach the halfway point, the rest of the game is just spent cleaning up/winning).

Easy/Boring boss fights (a lot of action rpgs games suffer from this)

Bad AI

Games with an over-abundance of "loot" ( I feel like it breaks the flow of the game when there is an "emergency" but you still have to check 20 crates because there might be something in it. Also I feel in games like borderlands I spend too much time managing my inventory because that one gun might do a tiny bit of extra damage).

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 02:07:40 pm »

Games with an over-abundance of "loot" ( I feel like it breaks the flow of the game when there is an "emergency" but you still have to check 20 crates because there might be something in it. Also I feel in games like borderlands I spend too much time managing my inventory because that one gun might do a tiny bit of extra damage).

I've always felt that amount of loot vs. amount of fun has a very non-linear correlation. More loot, particularly random loot, tends to make games more fun for me (I'm a roguelike fan), but once you hit critical mass for the amount of loot, the whole thing becomes a chore and I start ignoring loot altogether. Littering barrels and crates everywhere is a pretty good indication of when a game is hitting critical loot mass.

In the loot department, sometimes less is more.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:12 pm »

Sometimes, that is.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 02:26:38 pm »

Some great points and discussion going on here.  :)

snip
Couldn't agree with that more. I've always liked a bit of random drops and some number crunching but I could never get into the aRPGs that load you up with endless loot, 90% of which is useless.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »

Some great points and discussion going on here.  :)

snip
Couldn't agree with that more. I've always liked a bit of random drops and some number crunching but I could never get into the aRPGs that load you up with endless loot, 90% of which is useless.
Looking at you, ME1.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:20 pm »

So much ... omni-gel ...
I'm sure Commander Shepard was smearing it on toast by the time s/he left the citadel.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »

Monotonically decreasing average game quality

Monotonically increasing average game price

Monotonically decreasing average Quality/Price

Elaborate instead of using meaninglessly broad terms so that this makes sense? please?
If f(t) is a function (game quality, game price or Quality/Price) of time t, then f(t) is monotonically decreasing iff for all t1 and t2 where t1 < t2 and f(t1) >= f(t2)

YMMV, but it's just a trend I've noticed over the years (on consoles at least). Might be rose-tinted glasses, as well.

You may have thought you elaborated. But I have no idea what you just said.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 02:53:12 pm »

EDIT:gah massively delayed double post sorry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:00:58 pm by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

Monotonically decreasing average game quality

Monotonically increasing average game price

Monotonically decreasing average Quality/Price

Elaborate instead of using meaninglessly broad terms so that this makes sense? please?

I'll take a stab at putting words in his mouth:

As video games have become more mainstream, more developers are releasing lowest-common-denominator and shovelware titles to cash in. Let's say that in 1990 we had 30 games released and 20 of them were of high quality, and in 2012 we had 300 games released and 150 were of high quality. The average quality has now decreased thanks to the saturation of the market in general.

As for his second point: The price of consoles, games, and accessories has been steadily increasing. This, however, may or may not take into account inflation (I seem to recall the Wii being one of the cheapest consoles of all time when variations in the price of the dollar were taken into account).

His third point: "AAA games" are much shorter and generic. This makes the Quality/Price ratio decrease.

Not sure if I agree with these points, but I think that's where he was going.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 03:09:25 pm »

My biggest pet peeve? Artificial game extension. Don't force me to check every crate, don't force me to backtrack needlessly, don't stretch things out. Seriously. I'd much rather your game was shorter, but more satisfying. I love the Mass Effect series, but have little desire to replay them (again) because of the sheer amount of grinding. Especially the first one.

And yes, you could usually skip it - but that just makes the game harder and less satisfying. Mass Effect 2 had much better "grindy" mechanic; Mass Effect 3 actually nailed it for me. Same with Dark Souls - if I want to, I can go and grind for the best items (and I have) - but, it is not in any way necessary; you'll be just fine with what you find throughout the game.

Even bigger is the "trash mobs"/"grunts". Just the fact that they are not The Level Boss does not mean they are idiots. How did this village survive if everything here kills them in one hit? Conversely, if the guards instakill everything, why do you even need my help? Enemies should be challenging and intelligent, the bosses should simply be superior. I'll quote Dark Souls here again as being the best on my memory - the regular enemies are challenging, and the bosses have unique mechanics. win/win. Baldur's Gate was another good one in that regard.

And my absolute least favorite - RPG's that FORCE you into a position, often disadvantageous. Dragon Age is by far the worst offender, as practically every major engagement you are blissfully teleported into a circle of enemies, where they have range/height/cover and you just derp into it. Maybe it's fine if you're playing a full frontal character, but I like tactical play with rogues. A rogue does not do well when forcefully unstealthed, thrown into the middle, and unable to stealth (OMG SOMEBODY IS WATCHING I'M TOO SHY TO HIDE). Almost every single major RPG in the last many years does this; WHY?! At least give me a REASON why I'm teleported to a bad position. Stupid game. I've ragequit over this a few times.

To respond to a few:
- QTE - I actually really like QTE's, the way they are done in God of War (at least 1 and 2) and to a lesser extent Witcher. I especially like the option to turn them off. It makes me feel more involved in that epic boss fight, and as long as it's not an insta-lose, I'm fine with it.

- Abundant loot - I like this when it's balanced, as it makes the enemies more real. Rage of Mages comes to mind as a good game for that - if you see something on the enemy, they will drop it. At the same time, not everything is worth selling.

- Regenerating health and no inventory - I used to hate it, but I learned to live with it. The purpose is to make the game's action flow better, and to make the game require less effort. That can be quite fine for a relaxing gaming session. The opposite is fine as well, as games like Cataclysm and Don't Starve can easily descend into Inventory Management Sim.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 324