Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 497287 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4455 on: June 27, 2017, 12:46:48 pm »

Sediment Pool killed my desire to beat the game on anything higher than Hard, and it sure ended my all-dogtag game-over-if-spotted run.
It's one of the few rooms in any MGS game where the guards can spot you right when you enter an area. The guards in that room have such high vision on EE that if you don't move for a few seconds when you enter through the top level the top guard will spot you. The way I eventually started doing it was to come from the helipad and start on the lower floor on the east side, take out the lower guard and dump him in the water, then evade the upper guard when he comes down to check it out.

I never beat it without being spotted but I did a no-kill all-dogtag EE run and that was enough for me.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:13 pm »

Yeah grabs and throws can be tough to time in MGS1 unless you practice them, but you don't need to attack guards at all in MGS1 except during the battle in the basement and the running gunfight up the tower. IIRC in the hangar you just run to the left and up the stairs to get to the elevator, and there's only one guard up on the catwalk. Watch him in first person and run up there when he's not looking. It's only one area that has this restriction in the game and the guards are easy to avoid.
You can only use first person in The Twin Snakes, though.

The way I always get through the nuclear warhead storage building is to wait until the guard who patrols around the missiles on display walks past the slightly-open door, crawl through, then put on a box. I go north and use the box to sneak past the security camera, then run up the stairs on the east wall. After that, you slip past the camera and hide behind the boxes. Wait until the guard there comes through. When he turns around and starts walking the other way, knock him out. Throttling was never a problem for me in MGS, but I think this guy is far enough away from the others that you can just punch the hell out of him. After that, you're at the elevator, so mission accomplished.

This method avoids the problem of the guy spotting you while you go up the western staircase or getting past the guard who patrols around the deconstructed missiles.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: June 27, 2017, 08:12:15 pm »

First Person View mode. Not necessecarily shooting him, just making sure he wouldn't be looking right at you when you ran up the stairs.

The stairs are normal tile thankfully so you won't have to worry about your footsteps being heard.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4458 on: June 27, 2017, 11:34:54 pm »

Yeah grabs and throws can be tough to time in MGS1 unless you practice them, but you don't need to attack guards at all in MGS1 except during the battle in the basement and the running gunfight up the tower. IIRC in the hangar you just run to the left and up the stairs to get to the elevator, and there's only one guard up on the catwalk. Watch him in first person and run up there when he's not looking. It's only one area that has this restriction in the game and the guards are easy to avoid.
I'm pretty sure the original game has first-person view if you press triangle, you just couldn't pan up and down, but if you're against the wall in the nuke storage facility I think you can see the guard on the catwalk. If not pressing triangle to look, I'm positive you can use the Binoculars to look around in first-person.

E: Going all the way around like that is unnecessary and far too slow. If Azy could improve the timing on his throw he wouldn't even need to stop to wait for the guard on the catwalk to turn around, I'd recommend he do it the optimal way and shoulder throw him as he runs up, and then you can get into the elevator before he wakes up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:43:24 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:41 am »

I'm pretty sure the original game has first-person view if you press triangle, you just couldn't pan up and down, but if you're against the wall in the nuke storage facility I think you can see the guard on the catwalk. If not pressing triangle to look, I'm positive you can use the Binoculars to look around in first-person.

E: Going all the way around like that is unnecessary and far too slow. If Azy could improve the timing on his throw he wouldn't even need to stop to wait for the guard on the catwalk to turn around, I'd recommend he do it the optimal way and shoulder throw him as he runs up, and then you can get into the elevator before he wakes up.
Oh. I've only played Twin Snakes, I assumed that first person was a feature exclusive to it. Never really separated the ideas of first person aiming and first person viewing :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: June 28, 2017, 09:30:48 am »

Updates without permission
Don't get me wrong, I like free updates, but I hate it when it doesn't give the option of not updating. What if I actually preferred an old version? Now I'm just stuck with the new one.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: June 28, 2017, 12:02:46 pm »

How about a software developer pet peeve?

Users who refuse to update, resulting in reports of bugs you have fixed, along with other issues that can be really annoying.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: June 29, 2017, 12:04:55 am »

Reminds me of one of the XKCD strips. Developer had fixed an issue causing the CPU to overheat, and a user bitched about it because they had rigged up a rapid temp rise as a control key and wanted the option to overheat the CPU again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: June 29, 2017, 02:26:54 am »

That said, using a specific, not necessarily up-to-date version can be a good thing, notably for speedrunners, especially when they rely on a glitch that has since been patched out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: June 29, 2017, 03:58:27 am »

That said, using a specific, not necessarily up-to-date version can be a good thing, notably for speedrunners, especially when they rely on a glitch that has since been patched out.

That said I am not sure how much credit I'd give a speedrunner if they did that.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: June 29, 2017, 04:18:47 am »

I take the view that if it's in the game it's legit, even if it's a developer mistake, unless specifically forbidden by the category. They're called "speed" runs, not "play by the rules and color inside the lines" runs :P

I find glitched runs a lot more fun to watch just due to the sheer variety of glitches in different games, from simple clips and cutscene skips to some of the really complex (both in concept and execution) ones in Ocarina of Time. That's not even counting some of the exploity things that aren't technically glitches, like pressing start a certain number of frames after turning on the console during SNES FFII runs. That manipulates when and what kind of encounters they get, and they have to be very careful where they take certain steps in order to not break their setup.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: June 29, 2017, 04:35:14 am »

I take the view that if it's in the game it's legit, even if it's a developer mistake, unless specifically forbidden by the category. They're called "speed" runs, not "play by the rules and color inside the lines" runs :P

I mean more... That they are using a broken version of the game. :P

Like if I had some sort of early beta of Windwaker where it says "You won!" if you jump into a well.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: June 29, 2017, 04:43:05 am »

Or if I made my own version of windwaker where you press start and then win.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: June 29, 2017, 09:39:58 am »

I like glitchy runs, but no-glitch runs can be good too I guess.  It might depend on much the glitches skip, and personal preference.
Oblivion has that ploishing glitch that lets you skip to the end in a handful of minutes.  I think it's neat, though it does skip almost the entire game.
Ocarina of Time has a lot of similar but less extreme skips, and still takes 18:10 (in the speedrun I checked).  There's a lot of things that still need to be done, very accurately, making it a good middle ground in my personal opinion.

I think Half Life 1 is a great example of the speedrun being more entertaining with the sidehopping "glitch".  It's faster, trickier, and you still see almost all of the game.  One of my favorite speedruns.  Nowadays people install a mod which simply adds the mechanic back.

IDK, I guess I'm more interested in interesting glitches than skillful play.  But there's a whole lot of overlap, which I like best.

I usually plug the IT-HE guy's Deus Ex or Ultima wrongplays, but there was a very entertaining and well-explained video LP of Ocarina of Time along those lines.  Stuff like collecting every key item at the wrong age.  I can't find it to link now, though ):
Or the SM64 guy I think Putnam linked recently, who I think is notable for explaining complicated glitches in accessible ways.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaJOVyfPaBE

I wouldn't compare glitch-science to hacking in a win button :P  It's not like built-in cheats are considered interesting glitches.
But anyway, this is why there are glitchless runs and even glitches that get ignored for more interesting glitch runs.  Something for everybody (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: June 29, 2017, 01:45:37 pm »

How about a software developer pet peeve?

Users who refuse to update, resulting in reports of bugs you have fixed, along with other issues that can be really annoying.
I don't know about your users, but I don't report bugs if I'm using an older version. Unless it's not noted as 'fixed' on a change log, and the changelog usually reports bug-fixing.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 324