Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 497625 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4815 on: November 13, 2020, 06:13:46 am »

The PC Java version definitely has the crafting book.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: November 13, 2020, 06:20:02 am »

The fact that most Japanese devs seem to have an intense hatred for PC gamers.

I mean, I simply can't understand why this is the case.

It's the language thing. For a start, Windows would have had to have every kanji in it, or there would be Japanese words you couldn't even write. So the weak link for IBM PCs was Microsoft's support for the Japanese language and Japanese typing, which I've read was pretty dreadful for the longest time. Thus, the big uptake of IBM compatibles in the 1990s just didn't happen in Japan. Instead, the internet revolution there was centered on cell phones.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:40:10 am by Reelya »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: November 15, 2020, 12:57:08 am »

It's still pretty awful trying to type in any ideogrammic language; most things get around it via copious amounts of predictive input now. Without a predictive system, I find a handwritten system the fastest and most accurate interface (assuming you actually remember your correct stroke order-- get that wrong, and it all goes south), but that requires certain technologies as a prerequisite. And even then, I usually just toss English into a translator and copy-paste it since it's more convenient than toggling interfaces, though that's because I rarely need to use it.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: March 05, 2021, 10:06:53 am »

Been awhile since this thread has seen some action so I suppose that's a good thing.  But I was in a Discord discussion earlier and had one of those "I've always known but just realized how much so" moments about gaming.

Damned E-Sports and everything it's done to the online gaming world.  Seriously, and pardon my language here, but E-Sports are fucked like Barb's Scalloped Potatoes.

It'll be years before we can have another open world MMORPG like Ultima Online or many of the MUDs that were around before MMORPG's took off.  I know a lot of blame rests on WoW, which coincidentally introduced the E-Sport genre anyways, but now any friggin' game which has PvP is looked at like an E-Sport by enough of the gaming playerbase to totally ruin any meaningful player vs player interaction which could have otherwise occurred.  Because of E-Sports we may never get that "Realistic Online Game World" so many developers envision and overpromise which always end up landing flat on their faces, which eventually get patched into full-on carebear experiences like Fallout 76 or just embrace the whole Seasonal E-Sport mentality like RUST.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: March 05, 2021, 10:36:20 am »

I... muds still see active development, though? They're not a huge community or anything, but it's not like they disappeared.

Pretty sure we're still seeing open world MMOs ala Ultima Online, too, actually. They're just not as popular; among other reasons, there's other stuff around, which means folks don't have to deal with the crappy bits of that sort of design, heh. Options freeing a formerly pseudo-captive audience, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: March 05, 2021, 11:04:13 am »

WoW didn't create e-sports.  WoW murdered most other MMOs on the market at the time, but that isn't because it's an E-sport.  I doubt the majority of WoW players even bother with PvP.

E-Sports probably started with Starcraft, if anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: March 05, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »

You also had Quake 2 before that

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: March 05, 2021, 05:50:43 pm »

WoW didn't create e-sports.  WoW murdered most other MMOs on the market at the time, but that isn't because it's an E-sport.  I doubt the majority of WoW players even bother with PvP.

I'd say WoW just so easily took over the mmo market because it wasn't trying to punish you for playing it. You could just hop on for 20 minutes or play all day. You could play solo. This was when everquest had you resting like 10 minutes betwen fights.

And the auction house, my god, trading was finally accessible. Remember trying to trade in everquest? It's be hours sitting around in the Commons or whatever...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: March 05, 2021, 06:00:03 pm »

I'm not saying WoW didn't deserve to win out the MMO wars, its just after a while people stopped try to compete with it altogether.  And then arguably WoW started to stagnate.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: March 05, 2021, 07:15:29 pm »

I'd say WoW just so easily took over the mmo market because it wasn't trying to punish you for playing it. You could just hop on for 20 minutes or play all day. You could play solo. This was when everquest had you resting like 10 minutes betwen fights.

And the auction house, my god, trading was finally accessible. Remember trying to trade in everquest? It's be hours sitting around in the Commons or whatever...

Nah early WOW sucked at solo playing, you were there to group up bb, soloing anything other than basic quests was awful--even those were better done with 2 peeps.

I'm not saying WoW didn't deserve to win out the MMO wars, its just after a while people stopped try to compete with it altogether.  And then arguably WoW started to stagnate.

WoW isn't a great game, but it is a great social experience and continuation of the Warcraft universe/story (Until Warlords).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: March 05, 2021, 07:34:00 pm »

Like... they didn't, though. WoW style MMOs have never stopped coming out, and MMORPGs of other sorts have been a steady drumbeat this whole time. They've mostly failed to meaningfully compete, sure, but that's not the same as not trying, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:30 pm »

Okay this is fact a huge pet peeve of mine, MMOs have almost never attempted to challenge the WoW formula. OR they did but so barely it made no difference. OR they did but so drastically that it technically was not possible with the hardware and server space peeps were packin.

I just wish someone would shift the paradigm--everything is based on WOW, even if it isnt! It's critiquing it or purposely distancing itself without ever finding its own mechanical identity.

And I'm so sick and ****ing tired of action bars, I do not want to see another action bar in my life again.

EDIT: I wish something like Foxhole or M&B's cRPG mod had MMO numbers--it would change everyone's idea of what an MMO is and what is possible/fun to do
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: March 30, 2021, 11:23:12 pm »

Here's a pet peeve I'd forgotten about but was recently reintroduced to: I was shocked to find that Luigi's Mansion 3 doesn't support inverted y-axis controls.  I'm constantly looking up when I mean to look down, and vice-versa.  Early on it's not a big deal since fights are easy, but I'm fully expecting this to become a massive pain with bosses later.

The controls are... kind of hard on my hands too, but the y-axis inversion is something really driving me nuts.  I know a lot of people don't use inverted y-axis controls these days, but it seems like such an easy thing to implement or even patch into the game.  Easier than, say, making the same game menu in three different formats for some reason (before you get the VB, after you get the VB and when in the lab).

I know I've run into other games like this lately, and it reeks a bit of "suck it up and get with the times," but it's pretty alienating for little good reason.  One more reason to stick to PC games and a mouse, I guess.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: March 31, 2021, 08:05:49 am »

Okay this is fact a huge pet peeve of mine, MMOs have almost never attempted to challenge the WoW formula. OR they did but so barely it made no difference. OR they did but so drastically that it technically was not possible with the hardware and server space peeps were packin.

I just wish someone would shift the paradigm--everything is based on WOW, even if it isnt! It's critiquing it or purposely distancing itself without ever finding its own mechanical identity.

And I'm so sick and ****ing tired of action bars, I do not want to see another action bar in my life again.

EDIT: I wish something like Foxhole or M&B's cRPG mod had MMO numbers--it would change everyone's idea of what an MMO is and what is possible/fun to do

WoW didn't start the action bar thing, everquest is the first game I remember that from.  But of course they did cement it.

The problem with WoW is that it was insanely wildly successful without even really trying that hard.  The competition just mostly sucked really bad. So it's hardly a masterpiece of game design, but clearly it didn't need to be to make money hand over fist. 

That's what the copycats don't get. WoW succeeded so well because it was released into a world that didn't already have WoW.  You can't copy that formula because WoW exists already. 

EVE Online is a very different game, and shows hardcore economics and PVP can be successful... but are they making much money at this point?  And honestly, it has worse PVE combat than most MMOs. At least in WoW i gotta hit the hotbar icons during the fight...

I think to beat WoW you'd need to get away from the classic D&D in the background setup most MMOs have.  It's turn based fighting in real time, featuring two or more combatants just standing toe to toe and beating the shit out of each other until someone's dead.  I don't think a new game is going to iterate on that idea and come out ahead.

I personally think a real action RPG (I don't see any way around MMOs being mainly RPGs) MMO could take the crown.  MMO combat is not satisfying at all.  Target, auto attack, clickity click on the hotbar, 1 minute later it's done and you repeat. Boring. 

Of course the reason MMOs go that route is because it's a billion times simpler to just have turn based combat in the background with very little collision detection or worrying about latency as opposed to actual hit detection and all the netcode insanity that goes with it.  But computers have come a long way from the 90s, and if they could halfway manage it back then you'd think by now they could scale it up to MMO levels.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: April 01, 2021, 04:29:44 pm »

EVE Online is a very different game, and shows hardcore economics goons and PVP more goons can be successful...
(I kid, of course)

I used to play a bit of HellMOO back in the day (hence my longstanding snarkery towards goons), and that did have real-time combat... Admittedly, you wouldn't really be able to tell unless you actually got stuck in with PvP, but it *was* real-time and that *did* matter. Shaving an extra tenth of a second off your attack time could mean the difference between life and death.

However, that was much easier from a technical standpoint as almost all concept of distance and positioning was utterly abstracted by the MOO/MUD format, and as such doesn't really translate into a traditional ARPG.

Wasn't there Yet Another Scantily-Clad Girls MMO out there that specifically advertised "real" ARPG combat as a primary selling point?
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324