Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324]

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 493734 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4845 on: June 08, 2021, 01:36:59 am »

I have nothing of value to add, but I want to add to that music analogy: pushing for realism ignoring all else is basically like distributing 5.1 384 KHz, 24-bit FLAC audio, recorded on state-of-the-art equipment... but the audio's all fart noises. I'll never get to hear 90% of that audio, but it sure as hell is prime quality, surround fart noises.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: June 08, 2021, 10:25:35 am »

Finished the main story of Going Under a few days ago. While I liked the game (More games need to let the player whack foes with whatever they can get their hands on), I don't like the final boss nearly as much.

First, the boss arena is literally a square with nothing in it - the remains of an exploded rooftop meeting room. This also means that the only weapons you get (besides a sword you start the final boss with, that can break like every other weapon) are the ones enemies drop, which can be anything from pickaxes (moderately effective but slow) to body pillows (rather fast but short-ranged and weak). Occasionally drones show up, sent by your allies to provide some other weapons, like a giant drill, or a vending machine turned into a launcher (the cans it shoots explode like grenades). While this mitigates the issue somewhat, such drops are somewhat rare.

Second, while you can choose a skill you've endorsed (used for long enough) to start the level with, choosing a mentor has no effect - and even if it did, several mentors have skills that wouldn't apply in the single-arena gauntlet, such as Tappi's increased money gains or Ray's ability to buy items the player can't afford. More of a minor irritant, but still something that did irritate me.

Third, healing is very scarce. Occasionally, allies drop a toasted Jobwich, which heals for a full heart (by default, you start with six at this stage, and getting hit removes half a heart). This happens very rarely and no other healing items are provided besides the possibility that a foe might drop a self-care app (which requires you to stand still to use, which makes them vulnerable to losing the heart they healed).

Fourth, occasionally allies will drop a skill into the arena for you to pick up. Several skills use mechanics not involved in the final boss fight, such as Intimidating (which knocks foes down when Jackie enters a room) or Cubicle Rewards Member (which provides cash upon opening cubes). As stated before, this fight takes place in a square arena where there are no shops or new rooms to enter.

Fifth, and the issue I found the most irritating of the lot... Once you've survived the gauntlet of enemies long enough, an ally drops an app that you need to use. The nature of the final boss means that they're impossible to damage in the physical world, so you need to use the app to enter a special space where you can harm them. This space is a circular arena devoid of objects of any kind. The final boss will block all attacks, so you must wait for them to perform an attack so you can dodge away and punish it. After punching the boss enough times, the fight moves to its next phase and eventually the end. However, if you get hit before you damage the boss enough to move them to the next phase... The boss heals all the way back up to whatever HP they were when the phase started, and you are kicked out of the special space to survive another gauntlet of enemies. This essentially means that if you make one mistake, you lose all your progress.

I did eventually beat the boss, but it was rather frustrating. Again, though, I'd still recommend the game.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: June 08, 2021, 10:32:32 am »

That's a good peeve as well: bosses that don't interact well/at all with the game's normal mechanics. My personal example would be Del Lago from Resident Evil 4. It's a cool boss fight the first time, but after that it's just a slog; you're stuck waiting for it to surface so you can throw weak harpoons at it (which is especially annoying if you're on New Game+ and have extremely powerful guns that could easily destroy it, such as the infinite ammo rocket launcher) and if you screw up, you have to button mash to get back into your boat or you die instantly.

Like I said, it's a neat idea, but bosses like this one or the one you mentioned that just don't play like the rest of the game end up being really annoying.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: June 08, 2021, 10:55:49 pm »

What’s with the stories in sports games now? I bought it to play a career mode, not sit through cutscenes I have zero interest in seeing.

Started a career in nba 2k21, sat through two minutes of artsy fartsy credit sequence, some fog that opened up on what I assume was New York, then the home menu of the PS4 because fuck this if you won’t let me skip it I could be spending this time actually playing a game, so I played Blood Bowl 2 instead.

As an addendum, the TV presentation stuff in sports games is also ridiculous but it actually makes sense, especially if you’re employing a genuine sports commentator.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:59:28 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: June 09, 2021, 10:55:19 am »

Boom chakkalakka!
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: June 09, 2021, 11:03:01 am »

What’s with the stories in sports games now? I bought it to play a career mode, not sit through cutscenes I have zero interest in seeing.
They're seeing the popularity of sports manga/anime, I guess? Non-game entertainment in general. Sports fiction is a thing, so maybe they're trying to tap into it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: June 10, 2021, 08:54:48 am »

Started a career in nba 2k21, sat through two minutes of artsy fartsy credit sequence, some fog that opened up on what I assume was New York, then the home menu of the PS4 because fuck this if you won’t let me skip it I could be spending this time actually playing a game, so I played Blood Bowl 2 instead.

As an addendum, the TV presentation stuff in sports games is also ridiculous but it actually makes sense, especially if you’re employing a genuine sports commentator.
Gotta do something to justify charging 60$ for a roster update to essentially the same game as last year's. Although I've only got experience with the madden games myself, I imagine it's the same across the board. Except soccer,  weirdly, as that makes its money via micro transactions (And the fans seem largely happy with the situation there). 

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: June 10, 2021, 01:14:29 pm »

I was under the impression all the EA Sports games were microtransaction vehicles.

I haven’t played Madden for years but the mode that always got the attention was ultimate team, which I had zero interest in, and the same thing seems to exist in all their sports games, usually to the detriment of the actual gameplay.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: July 03, 2021, 08:36:15 pm »

Stunlocking. Stunning is fine, but when you can't defend yourself from being stunned repeatedly because you're currently stunned, and there's no prevention for stun, it's garbage.

Was just playing Genshin Impact (it's free, and not bad for the most part), and got in a fight with enemies who make you wet (and sometimes trap you in a bubble), and enemies who freeze. You have 60 seconds to kill them all, during which you spend about 55 seconds unable to do anything at all. And, because you were dumb enough to start this quest, about half of the game's functions are unavailable until the quest is complete. The only way to win appears to be to go through as many consumables as you have to buff your character and hope you get lucky enough to kill the worst enemies before you're stunlocked. I got lucky enough to drop a power that still did damage (boosted by like 3 different consumables) while I was frozen, which killed one enemy, allowing me to escape. But it was a wasted hour of frustrating attempts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: August 22, 2021, 07:43:30 pm »

When a game gets ported from console to PC, and the developers never bother change the displayed keybindings form controller to keyboard. I mean, how hard is that? You're swapping one simple set of graphics for another. I eventually did find the keybinding menu to see what keys correspond to what button, but the assignment was somewhat arbitrary and hard to remember.

Started .hack//G.U. Last Recode, after buying it when it was on sale a few weeks ago, and the controller bindings display is really irritating me. I screwed up the tutorial trap chest, which requires you to input a series of button inputs in a very short time... except it shows controller inputs. This issue is also largely why I didn't get far into Dark Souls.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: August 23, 2021, 01:36:14 am »

Stunlocking. Stunning is fine, but when you can't defend yourself from being stunned repeatedly because you're currently stunned, and there's no prevention for stun, it's garbage.

Was just playing Genshin Impact (it's free, and not bad for the most part), and got in a fight with enemies who make you wet (and sometimes trap you in a bubble), and enemies who freeze. You have 60 seconds to kill them all, during which you spend about 55 seconds unable to do anything at all. And, because you were dumb enough to start this quest, about half of the game's functions are unavailable until the quest is complete. The only way to win appears to be to go through as many consumables as you have to buff your character and hope you get lucky enough to kill the worst enemies before you're stunlocked. I got lucky enough to drop a power that still did damage (boosted by like 3 different consumables) while I was frozen, which killed one enemy, allowing me to escape. But it was a wasted hour of frustrating attempts.

Oooh yeah. Stunlocking is a big thing in Diablo 1. I was playing through the Belzebub mod recently and as a mage, if I get hit by some of the enemies who're hasted it's just death. I can't escape or cast spells. Doubly so for the enemies the mod gives cold enchanted to.

There is hit recovery you can stack from items but as a Sorcerer I'm not going to be using that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:20 am »

Oooh yeah. Stunlocking is a big thing in Diablo 1. I was playing through the Belzebub mod recently and as a mage, if I get hit by some of the enemies who're hasted it's just death. I can't escape or cast spells. Doubly so for the enemies the mod gives cold enchanted to.

There is hit recovery you can stack from items but as a Sorcerer I'm not going to be using that.

There's also that weird 1HP mana shield strat that's used for speedrunning, where if you're low enough on health you cannot flinch from attacks, even if 100% of the damage is going to your mana anyways
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324]