Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 497743 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #690 on: September 05, 2013, 02:18:41 am »

The biggest immersion breaker for me is the lack of any visual representation of the results of the damage I'm supposedly dealing

Speaking of that, guns that are supposedly powerful but sound weak always irritate me. The sound design is one of the many, many reasons I would make sweet sweet love to Perfect Dark if it were a person and not a video game. Every gun sounds exactly as powerful as you think it would be. The tiny submachine gun has an ineffective-sounding "pew pew pew!" noise to it, while the one-hit kill golden revolver has a huge BOOM sound that can be heard halfway across the map.

Doom 3's weapons, on the other hand, are often a lot quieter than just the ambient sound effects in some areas. There's times when I thought the sound was cutting out because I couldn't hear any of my weapons when I was firing. Not that they're very impressive when you can hear them, though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #691 on: September 05, 2013, 02:23:21 am »

Speaking of that, guns that are supposedly powerful but sound weak always irritate me.
This so much. I like a game that can make the nature of it's kit (not just the guns) felt just by the sound and look of them.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:47 am »

Badly designed finales

In Modern Warfare 3, there is a section at the beginning of the final level where Soap and Price suit up in EOD armour and storm a hotel because of a noise complaint or something.

This effectively doubles your invisible health bar while halving your speed. It's fine on the average difficulty, because that's what it's balanced for, but I was cruising through the game on the hardest difficulty (a completely different problem) so that section has more in common with a well armed man in a wheelchair than what was intended. This is further exacerbated by the complete lack of cover in this section of the game.

See also: Fable 2's EPIC FINAL BATTLE

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #693 on: September 05, 2013, 04:21:54 am »

Badly designed finales

In Modern Warfare 3, there is a section at the beginning of the final level where Soap and Price suit up in EOD armour and storm a hotel because of a noise complaint or something.

This effectively doubles your invisible health bar while halving your speed. It's fine on the average difficulty, because that's what it's balanced for, but I was cruising through the game on the hardest difficulty (a completely different problem) so that section has more in common with a well armed man in a wheelchair than what was intended. This is further exacerbated by the complete lack of cover in this section of the game.

See also: Fable 2's EPIC FINAL BATTLE
No Call of Duty game ever won any prizes for their story, and I like to pretend there was only one Fable game: the first one.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2013, 09:45:17 pm »

I feel like wrapping things up has been a failing point of a ton of games suddenly, at least the ones I've played.

It's probably been mentioned before but the absolute market requirement for a multiplayer, especially with shooters. I understand people like matching up on a shooter and don't like splitscreen, but shooter stories are just lacking all the time due to this.

The campaign gets less attention-"Oh, so this is the plot does multiplayer have this and these things happen fix these multiplayer issues oh that's nice but we can't fit half of this add all these minor features to the multiplayer that won't work half the time but they're IMPORTANT SO DO IT so we'll need you to keep all the action sections and nothing else mmkay?"
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 06, 2013, 10:09:40 pm »

Games that Bluntly Lie to You

STALKER: Call of Pripyat: Owl wants a laptop with mercenary movement data on it. The quest tells you to sneak in and steal it without tipping them off. "There's plenty of money to be made here, if you're sneaky."

Correct mission strategy: Kill the entire camp with a frontal assault, sell the good guns, and get paid extra for grabbing the datapads carried by the two leaders. There's actually a script change if you managed to get the data that alerts everyone in camp if you steal it. It's autofail, stealth-wise.

Fallout: New Vegas: NCR quartermaster Contreras wants you to help him with underhanded dealings in exchange for some discounted supplies he's skimming from the base. He sends you to meet a contact with a pass phrase to make a transaction. You get there and the contact doesn't know the pass phrase. Return to Contreras and tell him his contact didn't show. Mission failed.

Correct solution: Tell the guy who's obviously an undercover cop everything you know about Contreras's smuggling and dirty deals. Quest chain aborted, mission complete. Wtf?

Mass Effect 2: "That reaper IFF is some dangerous shit, run ALL THE TESTS before you even THINK about plugging that shit in. Understood, team of highly trained, loyal, and savvy professionals?"

What happens: Meh. Fuck safety, just plug that thing in. What could go wrong??  :o  *Everything goes wrong.*
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 06, 2013, 11:44:18 pm »

Shitty bullshit quest update systems in RPGs.
I'm looking at you, Mass Effect 3.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 07, 2013, 04:24:13 am »

Casual gamers (nothing against them, they play for fun) that only play 2, never more then 5 different games and think they are hot shit. WoW players, LoL players and Counterstrike(rs) tends to fall here a lot. If you have to ask "whats a rts?" you ain't so well versed with the many flavors the gaming world offers as you might think.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:09 am »

Casual gamers (nothing against them, they play for fun) that only play 2, never more then 5 different games and think they are hot shit. WoW players, LoL players and Counterstrike(rs) tends to fall here a lot. If you have to ask "whats a rts?" you ain't so well versed with the many flavors the gaming world offers as you might think.

Retro gamers (typically "90's kids") that at best play a few popular retro games, and at worst don't even know that there was a time when Sega and Atari made consoles. If you think you're a revolutionary gaming connoisseur for thinking Super Mario Bros. was pretty cool, then actual retro gamers scowl in disappointment.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2013, 06:45:31 am »

Retro gamers (typically "90's kids") that at best play a few popular retro games, and at worst don't even know that there was a time when Sega and Atari made consoles. If you think you're a revolutionary gaming connoisseur for thinking Super Mario Bros. was pretty cool, then actual retro gamers scowl in disappointment.

Any gamer that thinks they're all that really. We play video games people, calm down. We're all types of people. Getting annoyed at my friend, because he's a "play one game lots" person, and I'm a "play lots of games" person, and he's always bugging me about my 'gaming ADD' etc., drives me mad.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2013, 08:37:09 am »

People who take gaming far too seriously
Particularly with gaming culture, where some people will react very negatively to even the slightest criticism of it.

Another example is when people go apeshit crazy over losing (and sometimes even winning) a video game.

RTS games where the 3d model or non-transparent parts of the sprite (for 2d) are used to detect mouse clicks
Makes clicking on animated units fiddly and annoying.

RTS games without AI

(unrelated)
Why is the definition of a casual gamer a gamer who plays for fun? Doesn't everyone play games for fun? What other reason is there to play games?
Also, why is realism frequently portrayed to be at odds with fun? Dont people who like realism find it fun?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05:28 am »

Why is the definition of a casual gamer a gamer who plays for fun? Doesn't everyone play games for fun? What other reason is there to play games?
Also, why is realism frequently portrayed to be at odds with fun? Dont people who like realism find it fun?
That isn't a correct definition.
A correct definition for a casual gamer is a person who plays games every now and then while a hardcore gamer plays games more often and has more in-depth knowledge about how games work.

It's basically the difference between a film critic and a person who watches a movie every now and then.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 09, 2013, 09:08:49 am »

That isn't a correct definition.
A correct definition for a casual gamer is a person who plays games every now and then while a hardcore gamer plays games more often and has more in-depth knowledge about how games work.

Thats what I thought, its just that everyone I have talked to seems to have decided that casual gamers are gamers that play "for fun".
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:52 am »

Realism generally makes games harder and can detract from fun in some situations.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:27 am »

Realism generally makes games harder and can detract from fun in some situations.

*cue Dwarf Fortress*
(yeah, you did say "generally" and "in some situations")

I guess that this exception the rule.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 324