Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 497555 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #765 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »

I actually like animalistic races. They just seem to make the world more interesting then having just humans, and almost-humans like elves and dwarves. I think that the best example is the Khajiit and Argonians from Elder Scrolls.
True, I also prefer them to the stock fantasy races in most cases. I'm just afraid they might begin suffering from srs overuse too.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 12, 2013, 03:50:44 pm »

Well those beastman races are still hominids. I wish it were art-budget-viable to have more non-humanoid races in games. Pierson's puppeteers or chenjesu or something.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 12, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

Well those beastman races are still hominids. I wish it were art-budget-viable to have more non-humanoid races in games. Pierson's puppeteers or chenjesu or something.
I think unrealistically anthropomorphic races are excusable in fantasy and softer sci-fi, not to mention easier to relate to in more character-driven games. In harder science fiction, though, and not just games either, we could certainly use a lot more starfish aliens.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 12, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »

I actually like animalistic races. They just seem to make the world more interesting then having just humans, and almost-humans like elves and dwarves. I think that the best example is the Khajiit and Argonians from Elder Scrolls.

I agree. To me, elves are tall humans, dwarves are short humans etc and I dont see any difference. I liked the beast races in TES because they were different (particularly in Morrowind, where they even had their own (awful) animations, which was cool). I also agree with Darkmere, seeing more games with non-humanoid races (species?) would be fun.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #769 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:12 am »

I agree. To me, elves are tall humans, dwarves are short humans etc and I dont see any difference. I liked the beast races in TES because they were different (particularly in Morrowind, where they even had their own (awful) animations, which was cool). I also agree with Darkmere, seeing more games with non-humanoid races (species?) would be fun.
Agreed. I like it when people just make up aliens. Those are usually the best kind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:35 am »

Your character is running through a bowl full of Jelly

I really dislike games where my character feels oddly slow and clunky often for no reason whatsoever. It is actually one of the reasons I could never get into Demon souls was because apparently the air was replaced with some sort of invisible vicious jelly. I don't get why people like moving incredibly slowly even when sprinting but whatever, or where they make incredibly slow swings with light weapons.

Skill/Attribute points you have a choice! Except not really!

Wow, skills that are all in a single line leaving out any choice whatsoever... Ohh and three attributes of which I use only two... what a hard choice. Ok if you don't REALLY want to allow character development freedom don't fake it. It might fool the videogame dummies out there but they are the same people who would buy the exact same game twice and think they are different because they switched a few multiplayer maps around.

Mud Box

WHOA!!! A large open world where there is nothing to do but people will constantly pester me to play this because they took the sales pitch hook line and sinker? GREAT!

Yeah... A bad Sandbox is inferior to a mediocre railroad. I am actually quite tired of this "Sandbox is always better" attitude because it has become almost an excuse for bad game design.

Excuse me, I think you forgot your clothes at home. Can you please retrieve them I cannot take you seriously.

Stupid women in bikinis in the arctic. Honestly I have a hard time taking you seriously as a COMPETENT PERSON given that you seemingly cannot locate a shirt that can fit you. I mean I understand that the artist has inflated your breasts to a size where you probably cannot buy an ordinary shirt, but you can at least buy it tailor made.

Lets Sex up our characters because our popularity is waning.

So you have a character who you like in a videogame and they are pretty neat and they have a storyline you really feel for. Well welcome to the sequel! Where their breasts are bigger, their clothes are smaller, and their pants are see-through so you can see their thong underwear... What do you mean she is supposed to be 16?

Super Noob Stompers

Nothing kills the mood of a game more then a character who seems specifically designed to kill characters new to a videogame. They have moves that anyone experienced might dodge but for a new player prepare to be hit every time.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #771 on: September 14, 2013, 04:16:35 am »

Your character is running through a bowl full of Jelly

I really dislike games where my character feels oddly slow and clunky often for no reason whatsoever. It is actually one of the reasons I could never get into Demon souls was because apparently the air was replaced with some sort of invisible vicious jelly. I don't get why people like moving incredibly slowly even when sprinting but whatever, or where they make incredibly slow swings with light weapons.

Super Noob Stompers

Nothing kills the mood of a game more then a character who seems specifically designed to kill characters new to a videogame. They have moves that anyone experienced might dodge but for a new player prepare to be hit every time.
I can relate to this (Slender and Co.), but on Demon's Souls you probably just had awful frame rate. There's a big difference. That game is very playable.

What do you mean? I can't think of any examples of this. ???

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 14, 2013, 04:31:37 am »

The "moving through Jelly" issue is sometimes added for balance sake, since you can't really expect a person fully clad in freaking plate armour to run around like an olympic runner. I remember a segment from Metro 2033 in which you had to fight through the hordes while carrying a child, which was a good excuse for lowering your speed and turning rate although it would kinda make more sense to just have the bugger run behind you.

The places where it really bothers me is in horror games. Nobody runs as slow as some protagonists do in horror games. Hell, I'm not a very athletic person and I still run faster and can hold my breath for longer than the bloke in Slender.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #773 on: September 14, 2013, 04:33:13 am »

Another thing for Demon's Souls, you were probably just wearing really heavy armour.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 14, 2013, 05:13:58 am »

Excessive backtracking
Running along long hallways, and getting completely lost, to find that key for the door etc. Backtracking, when used carefully can be fun, but too much backtracking is not fun at all.

Random combat encounters (particularly in JRPGs)
I dont even know how these are supposed to be fun.

Bonus points for combining the two...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #775 on: September 14, 2013, 05:37:44 am »

Yeah I don't much like them either.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:42 am »

They can actually be fun if they're not overly frequent and the combat system is good and fast-paced enough (basically the opposite of a jRPG combat system).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #777 on: September 14, 2013, 05:41:25 am »

They can actually be fun if they're not overly frequent and the combat system is good and fast-paced enough (basically the opposite of a jRPG combat system).
Could you name some games with a good random combat system? I hear Persona has a pretty good one.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 14, 2013, 06:03:11 am »

Could you name some games with a good random combat system? I hear Persona has a pretty good one.
Fallout 1 and 2. Only happens in overworld travel, it's not that frequent, you needn't do them to grind levels (gain a lot more doing quests), you can speed up the movement animations, you can quite easily just run away from most encounters, there's a skill that allows you to avoid encounters, and people quickly start dying violently from single shots (so that in the end game, random encounters go by really fast).

Darklands. Not that frequent, accompanied by some text either explaining why you're being attacked or what it is you're facing, give you the chance to utilize some party skills beforehand (prayer, alchemy, stealth, etc.) assuming you weren't ambushed. Although my memory here might be sketchy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #779 on: September 14, 2013, 06:16:11 am »

Darklands.
*googles* Ooohh. Micropose. Yummy.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 324