Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 497536 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2013, 09:20:05 am »

I hate people who also use numbers

"Hi I am Drizzit24uioy2523o56i2ioe4u5yu46345693690348"

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:58 am »

Games with great potential that are released unfinished
Looking at you, KOTOR II. You were taking Star Wars in directions that even the first KOTOR didn't want to go! You made me excited about PC RPGs again! But at the same time, you had more holes than Cheerios in a strainer. Even being a dumb wide-eyed young gamer recently introduced to GRORIUS PC MASTER RACE, I knew something was up with the Peragus II sequence.
I'm still waiting for KOTOR III. The only logical PC for it is HK-47, looking for his two masters.
*sigh*
A guy can dream, can't he?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2013, 09:30:57 am »

It totally has to be about Canderous kicking butt and chewing bubble gum.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2013, 09:33:19 am »

Only if he's all out of gum.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2013, 09:34:40 am »

Only if he's all out of gum.

As otherwise he will just stay home and have makeover montages.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2013, 09:36:33 am »

Alright chaps, we've just made the best game ever. Everyone take a five minute victory break.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2013, 09:37:50 am »

It shall be called KOTOR III: Canderous and HK-47 Fuck Shit Up.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2013, 10:33:49 am »

Niche games that are expensive as fuck.
I'm looking at you Matrix games.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2013, 10:47:09 am »

I hate people who also use numbers

"Hi I am Drizzit24uioy2523o56i2ioe4u5yu46345693690348"
>:c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:24 am »

Man, this thread is beautiful. I don't even know where to begin...

I Don't Know How to Describe This, But it Annoyed the Hell Outta Me.

Does anyone remember Mass Effect Two? And the relationship system? Well, my biggest pet peeve with that game (among many) was the fact that Miranda/Jack could be deeply in love with you a couple missions in-game (To the point where there was no dialogue options left until you headed off on the final mission) and the second you do the other's loyalty mission, they get peeved. Now, if you side with the opposite of your previous love interest in the ensuing (minor) fight, suddenly they hate you and won't speak with you. It makes no sense. So I guess a better title would be "Games that don't keep an accurate record of decisions etc."

Horrible Endings to An Epic Saga

Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3... How many hours did we sink in those series only to have lame endings? The one that really rankled was ME3, because after 60+ hours sunk into the series, ALL MY DECISIONS MEAN NOTHING. I mean, yes, it's hard to please everyone, but you think if you put that much time into making this series, that you'd at least give it a half decent ending.

Useless, USELESS Sequals

Games that don't need sequals being given successions of sequals. Condemned 2 Bloodshot anyone? Fable Three, you are on my shit list. Fable One was amazing, Fable 2 was still pretty good, despite its faults, and three was such a compendium of "Dammit Peter Molyneaux, WHYYY" that it was nearly unplayable. Which brings me to another one...

Useless Game Mechanics Which Companies Use To Hype a Game

Hype: "You'll be king and have full control of your nation!"

Reality: "Let's turn that orphanage into a brothel and then go fight monsters"

I wanted a game that turned me into a king. I fought hard, just to be the same character with the same power in a shittier outfit. (I have a lot of hate for Fable 3). Ya know, Bethesda did this too with V.A.T.S. I never used it, it was super annoying and pointless. You gave me a gun, now you want the game to shoot it for me. How braindead do you think I am?

Happy Endings

This is just a personal thing. You rarely see unhappy endings, or emotionally unsatisfying endings anymore. Endings which leave you empty, and in no way can be considered happy or glorious. I'm just sick of saving the galaxy, or being the hero. And I don't mean the main character dying, but everything still working out for the better (I'm looking at you Rockstar), I mean a downright depressing ending. As a kid, I always wanted Ganon(dorf) to beat Link, or Bowser to beat Mario. I just hated how it was predestined for the PC to win. It'd be even better if there were endings for games where you are not the hero, and everyone hates you for it. Or people just forget your name. I know, sounds depressing, but I think it's what some games need. I mean, think on Farcry 3's endings. Neither could be described as happy, and they're both decently written. Whatever problems you had with the game, I think you can agree with that. I loved both those endings, but my final problem is one I encountered hugely in Farcry 3...

Horrible Final Boss Fights

This is it, I've worked up to this. The final showdown... Aaaaaaaand I press 3 QTE's and it's done. Woo....

I played your crappy game, I paid for it and sunk hours into it. You've led up to this huge battle, and I want it to be satisfying enough to justify my commitment to this game. The end of the Witcher 2 got this right. Two Final Bosses, and the options to not kill either? Damn. A game after my own heart.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2013, 11:43:35 am »

Boss fights are pretty much dead in modern gaming sadly. I remember some of the really outstanding stuff of yore like Gruntilda in Banjo Kazooie. Bosses that were thumb bleeding, controller snapping, lip tearing hard which would test all the skills you've had spent learning in the game.
Damn. Now I'm craving for a new action-adventure game in the vein of the old Rare games. Curse you nostalgia!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2013, 11:46:39 am »

Skyrim also has terrible boss fights.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »

Eliminating any mystery.
This is a problem not unique to gaming but I've found a large amount of games ruin a lot of interesting subjects by just spoiling all mystery. A prime example of this would likely be STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl where you learn the origins of the zone. It was rather underwhelming and it made the whole zone feel a lot less interesting and alien.
Another example would be The Reapers from Mass Effect. In the first game they were this mysterious all-powerful force with strange alien motives. In the later games you learn so much about them they just come across as saturday cartoon villains.
Valve used mystery to great effect in Half-Life 2 which helped build their universe. There were some many unexplored and mysterious elements in that series such as the infamous G-Man that fans still speculate about to this date. If Valve came out and just said "lol gman is gordan fereman dadd lol" it wouldn't have quite the same impact.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56:56 pm »

Can't believe I forgot this one...

Horrible Ports

Dragon Age 2, need I say more? DON'T TIE ME TO THE LIMITATIONS OF CONSOLES.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:37 pm »

Valve used mystery to great effect in Half-Life 2 which helped build their universe. There were some many unexplored and mysterious elements in that series such as the infamous G-Man that fans still speculate about to this date. If Valve came out and just said "lol gman is gordan fereman dadd lol" it wouldn't have quite the same impact.

Speaking of...I use Text Wall!
Spoiler: It's super effective! (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 324