Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 493788 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #720 on: September 10, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »

There's probably a reason for hit markers. If you got shot, you'd probably know where the shot came from. Altough I guess it'd be fine to remove them in "hardcore" mode if there would be some other way to see where the shot came from.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 10, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »

RO2 definitely captures the meat grinder reality of war. Being in the meat grinder, however, is debatably fun.
I don't know, I had fun with it.

It was mostly the fun one gets from either failing at something in an amusing way or the sweet satisfaction of finally doing something right after a looong adjustment period.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 10, 2013, 12:32:01 pm »

Well, hitmarkers, in my thinking, are essentially visual indicators of your character's pain.
When you get you, say, in the back, you can clearly feel a sharp pain in your back, right?

Since we can't emulate that feeling in games yet, visual hitmarkers are the reasonable replacement.

So no hit markers not only is a challenge, but it's also not a very reasonable challenge from "realism" standpoint.

I do love realism in games (but I don't mind lack of it, either - see TF2 and Awesomenauts, which I have over 700 and 100 hours into, respectively), but that just seems counter-intuitive and downright bad.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 10, 2013, 12:36:38 pm »

I thought by hitmarkers people meant the visual indication at your crosshair when you hit someone.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 10, 2013, 02:02:12 pm »

I thought by hitmarkers people meant the visual indication at your crosshair when you hit someone.

I couldn't figure out what this was referring to and wondered if it was something common in newer games I hadn't played or something.

Regarding directional indicators for getting hit though, I'm now curious how realistic that is.  I've never been shot, but I wonder if it's really that easy to tell whether a shot hit you from one direction or another considering how fast bullets travel.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »

I actually meant this XD

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »

That's what I was talking about too.

RO2 definitely captures the meat grinder reality of war. Being in the meat grinder, however, is debatably fun.
I don't know, I had fun with it.

It was mostly the fun one gets from either failing at something in an amusing way or the sweet satisfaction of finally doing something right after a looong adjustment period.

There were times at game launch when your whole team would be pinned at the starting objective. Peek your head up, get it taken off by an OP German rifle. Whole games were spent dying in the spawn zone (these maps were staged captures where you pushed forward to one objective and it opened up the next part of the map for play.)

I've also been on the delivering end, mowing down hapless Russians with an MG42 from the top of an apartment complex. Nothing like watching 30 Russians made a mad scramble across open ground and die to a man to 3 MG42 gunners. Or picking off Germans running around the foot of the Grain Elevator like they were ants and your rifle is a magnifying glass. Magical. And kind of depressing.

So yeah. If you're used to something close to CoD, where you usually have an equal opportunity to shoot someone in the face......RO2 will be a shock. Getting shot from fuck who knows where and being pinned is the drum beat of that game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:57 pm »

Buying more Games while you have a collection of unfinished games that you really should be beating

I have a HUGE collection of videogames that I havn't beat. I also have a really poor tendency to stop playing a game right before the last boss (it is like I have this urge to intentionally not complete a game). Yet I keep buying games. WHY!?!

I've actually started to really try to beat many of the games I have... and yet I still seem to be adding more then I can beat.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:48 pm »

Games that should of had that ONE THING that would have made them really awesome but didn't.
I.E, not getting a second tether in Just Cause 2, although it might have posed some control issues.
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »

Buying more Games while you have a collection of unfinished games that you really should be beating

I have a HUGE collection of videogames that I havn't beat. I also have a really poor tendency to stop playing a game right before the last boss (it is like I have this urge to intentionally not complete a game). Yet I keep buying games. WHY!?!

I've actually started to really try to beat many of the games I have... and yet I still seem to be adding more then I can beat.

I'm still like this too. (I basically crushed XCOM:EU in three days and yet, right at the climax, my will to finish suddenly evaporated.)

For me, I think it has to do with how I grew up playing video games. As a kid they were cooperative ventures, even SP RPGs. My brother and my friend and I would gather around the TV and play the games as a group. It was usually my brother (the elder) or one of my friends (the elder of two) that would end up steering us. So I watched a lot of games get beaten rather than beat them myself, and when I went back to play many of these old classics, I found I couldn't make myself finish them. Today it's a combination of apathy, designs that are way too clean and leave little to discover or imagine....and the occasional game that hits a nerve so deep, it makes me not want to finish the game so the memories can live on. Games that affect me that way are very rare now, or I'm more discerning.

That said, the last month or two I've been on a mission to finish long-standing parts of my catalog. I stomped a mudhole in AC2 a couple weekends ago, and basically did the same to XCOM:EU this weekend. I'd probably have finished Assassin's Creed Revelations by now too, if Dom 4 hadn't released and eaten a whole weekend.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 10, 2013, 06:29:44 pm »

I am like that as well. It's because I am more interested in gaining all the powers than I am in seeing the story completed. For example, I've been waiting around for three in-game months in X-COM:EU to turn on the Gollop Chamber. Everything's sewn up otherwise – I just want to get a few colonels and a squad full of psi soldiers. Will I ever finish? HMMM eventually.

Also see what else do I have installed at the moment Dragon Age, Torchlight, KOTOR, Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor... man, I've never even pierced Hell in DF... "oh I've got a few adamantine axes I'm good thanks"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #731 on: September 10, 2013, 06:36:25 pm »

Recently I dusted off the Super Nintendo and destroyed Super Castlevania III and Megaman X, games that were normally impenetrable by my efforts when I was a bit younger. It's probably because they seemed so hard at the time that I continued to be afraid of them until much later.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 10, 2013, 06:42:39 pm »

I have a similar problem too, though I think in my case it's equal parts apathy and frustration. I play a game I've played before that I've enjoyed, but it gets tedious so I feel like I should be something more productive with my time. Or else I play a game at a harder difficulty than I've played before (mostly 4X/strategy games), but because I'm kind of a bad gamer or I just don't have enough practice, it gets frustrating and I again feel that I should be doing something more productive with my time.

Except there isn't anything more productive that I can be doing with my time, so it ends up kind of a cycle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:06 pm »

I have the exact opposite problem. I buy games so rarely that I tend to get very good at the ones I do own. I tend not to get tired of games very quickly though, so it's all good.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:07 pm »

Super Castlevania III

Super Castlevania 3 is srs bsnss. Tried for years off and on to finish it, but it'd all seem to fall apart after the Clock Tower.

Honorable mentions for one of the most amazing 16-bit tracks in my memory.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 324