Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 496607 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2910 on: February 04, 2016, 12:59:01 pm »

Yeah, as much as I love XCOM, that is a major problem.
Also, the same happens with soldier commands. You use numbers as shortcut, but those change constantly according to skills ad equipment.

I once pressed a button thinking "Let's put this guy on Overwatch", but since he had different skills, that number was asssigned to "Throw grenade"...
He died instantly (a rookie at the beginning of the game) and set fire to the car he was hiding behind. End turn, the car blows up and kills his friend.

I didn't pay close attention to it in the videos I watched, but I think XCOM2 still has that problem, right?
Pretty sure they fixed that problem and have moves assigned to hotkeys instead of a constantly changing set of numbers.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: February 04, 2016, 01:10:19 pm »

Do you still have to left-click to perform actions like throwing greandes and shooting rockets?

'cause that's an addendum to my previous thing. You right-click to move, but left-click to do stuff like that, and select other squad members. Can lead to unpleasantness if you're not paying attention.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: February 04, 2016, 02:47:11 pm »

Do you still have to left-click to perform actions like throwing greandes and shooting rockets?

'cause that's an addendum to my previous thing. You right-click to move, but left-click to do stuff like that, and select other squad members. Can lead to unpleasantness if you're not paying attention.
Dunno, I've just been following the XCOM 2 hype thread and the hotkey came up.

I'm pretty good at memorizing what does what (other than remembering which games use WASD and which use arrow keys to move around) in games, so my main problem in XCOM was accidentally sending a soldier to the wrong place out of cover.

I aalso have autosave, so if I mkae a really bad mistake, I can rool back a turn and do it over again if necessary.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: February 04, 2016, 04:17:24 pm »

Some games using graphics as a crutch have aged better than others though. The first time I played Wolfenstein 3d, about a year ago, I got bored with it in about an hour. The first time I played Half-Life 2 on the other hand, about 2-4 years ago, bored and disappointed me from the very beginning to the very end.

The idea that half life 2 is a game that uses graphics as a crutch baffles me.

What the hell else does it have going for it, the gameplay and story were both inferior to Half-Life 1 (to which - despite several returning characters characters - it was only tangentially related). It's boring and repetitive, there's a bunch of driving levels thrown in for no reason, and the plot doesn't make any sense at all; Why the hell is Gordon Freeman suddenly the messiah or something!? It would be one thing if they did ot for laughs like Life of Brian, but no, they played it totally straight.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: February 04, 2016, 04:28:18 pm »

I just didn't particularly like it, couldn't tell you why, precisely, perhaps the lack of impact? I dunno, but I didn't like either game, really.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: February 04, 2016, 04:47:40 pm »

Heh, actually, I totally agree about the plot veering in a crazy direction.  "Good job beating the alien invasion!  Between games NEW aliens invaded while you were... ~mysteriously absent~.  They look very much like aliens from one of the popular expansions, but let's just declare that noncanon and be super mysterious and never explain everything."

They really designed the new plot, and gameplay, around the engine.  Which is a good engine, I love Source games.

But even the episodes were basically "Check out these cool additions to our engine!  Also, have some more unanswered questions and a shocker ending!"  and "Woah our engine can do these cool portals!  Uh, sure okay it's the same setting as Half Life, since you're clamoring for that."

That said...  The gameplay was very solid and aged well.  And the story, while laughably unrelated to Half Life 1, is pretty decent for an FPS It relies waaaay too much on unexplained mysteries...  Particularly when they were promising the episodes would come out quicker than full games.  The "Half Life 3 confirmed" meme is just free publicity for the stuff they actually care about, a couple of overgrown HL1 mods (Counterstrike and Team Fortress).  And fricken DOTA, haha.  And Portal, yay!

No but seriously the gameplay is pretty good, and also the developer commentary is an *amazing* feature.  They interactively explained so many neat things about the game design process.  I give them a lot of credit for that, even if it was more like a documentary of game design than an actual mechanic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: February 04, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »

YOU'RE ALL WRONG AND HERETICS.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: February 04, 2016, 07:18:45 pm »

PORTAL IS THE AWESOMER.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:28 pm »

I loved HL2 to bits, and hated the first game.

Only bits of HL2 I didn't like were 1: The wheel-turning segments and 2: the fucking jumpscare headcrabs in every other vent.

I just finished Episode 1, and to be honest I was left with a pretty big "Is that all?" at the end, even though it was quite fun, because it was so short. Also its best sequences were the bit where Alyx fucks off and you get to be a hero on your own for a bit.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: February 04, 2016, 07:33:59 pm »

I hate everything all of you like. Without exception. Even ESPECIALLY the conflicting ones.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:35 pm »

I hate everything all of you like. Without exception. Even ESPECIALLY the conflicting ones.
Sig'd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:06 pm »

Not a real Sig. Try harder next time.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:18 pm »

Lies!  All lies!
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: February 04, 2016, 08:45:25 pm »

Lies!  All lies! He tells the truth, sire.

FTFY
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: February 04, 2016, 08:46:10 pm »

There. Real sig. :D
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 324