Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with major mod  (Read 2776 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Help with major mod
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:11:16 pm »

I'm working on a major/total conversion sci-fi mod. Any appeals for aid I have I'll put in this thread.

So first, I need some new materials. I know I want titanium, tungsten (possibly tungsten carbide), uranium (also depleted uranium) and plastic. And if anyone can think of materials useful in modern/space age/futurtech stuff, I'd appreciate that too.

Many thanks in advance.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Help with major mod
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »

Materials plus in my sig (minor mods) has quite a few of those. Feel free to look and take.

The rest you'll have to make yourself.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:34 pm »

I don't really know the material properties for titanium or plastic off by heart, but you can look them up in Wikipedia (if they're there) or just copy them from similar materials.

Of the top of my head, more interesting sci-fi materials could be aerogel, steelfoam, carbon fiber and other composite materials, various gases, superconductors, metamaterials, neutronium, antimatter, negative-mass matter, fabricator plastic, Soylent Green, or what have you. Now go make some science.

EDIT: Putnam, you cleared out your minor mods thread, MaterialsPlus isn't available any more from there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:47:27 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:13:25 pm »

oh dammit

EDIT: fixed

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:50 am »

I'm not hopeful, but is there any way to have ranged weapons without long reload times? Not creature interactions, but actual ITEM_WEAPONs?
Also, can one make explosives?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:59 pm »

1) No.
2) Yes, you need Putnam's ProjectileExpansion script for that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »

I'd like to balance materials in the mod, rather than have a gradation. Some materials should be good for armor but poor for weapons, some should be good for slashing but not blunt, things like that. I've been fiddling with it for a while but the combat mechanics are quite dizzyingly complex. If someone knows a way (if there is a way) to make such balances possible, that would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:44 pm »

I'd like to balance materials in the mod, rather than have a gradation. Some materials should be good for armor but poor for weapons, some should be good for slashing but not blunt, things like that. I've been fiddling with it for a while but the combat mechanics are quite dizzyingly complex. If someone knows a way (if there is a way) to make such balances possible, that would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
You can use the [ITEMS_WEAPON] and [ITEMS_ARMOR] tags to specify whether a material can be used to make weapons or armor. Large SOLID_DENSITY values make better blunt weapons, and large SHEAR_YIELD, SHEAR_FRACTURE and MAX_EDGE values make better slashing/piercing weapons.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:22:54 pm »

The problem with SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE is that, while they do make for better edge attacks, they also provide better protection against edge attacks, which was what I was trying to avoid; same with IMPACT values, according to my tests.
I'll probably just use the [ITEMS_X] tokens. I was trying to avoid that, but it might not be possible to work it any other way. Thanks, though.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »

The problem with SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE is that, while they do make for better edge attacks, they also provide better protection against edge attacks, which was what I was trying to avoid; same with IMPACT values, according to my tests.
I'll probably just use the [ITEMS_X] tokens. I was trying to avoid that, but it might not be possible to work it any other way. Thanks, though.

Well you could go with some sort of hackery by saying "spring steel/hardened steel" is made into armor due to it's more flexiblity/hardness and "Tempered Steel/Treated Steel" is sharper and better for weapons. Making it feel that the way you treat or alloy your metals is what kind of equiptment you can make. Would be cool to see copper be only useable for tools and such but if you alloy it or treat/temper it, it can now be used for armor or weapons.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 12:40:26 pm »

What makes vampires get cultists, and is it replicable with the raws?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:27:31 pm »

Do vampires even have cultists in DF?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 01:32:18 pm »

Sometimes human vampires who become law-givers or such will have cultists. If you attack the vampire, all the cultists (who live in the castle with the vamp) will attack you. It's pretty cool.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 01:36:51 pm »

Do vampires even have cultists in DF?

If they start heading covens or other cults, certainly.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »

Sometimes human vampires who become law-givers or such will have cultists. If you attack the vampire, all the cultists (who live in the castle with the vamp) will attack you. It's pretty cool.
Well, I dunno how that happens. I guess that the "cultists" just happen to be vampires converted by the original vampire, and outing themselves is a side effect of the disguise mechanic, so that vampires don't attack their own still-disguised cultists.
Pages: [1] 2