Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learning programming,unity,and creating something in the process C:  (Read 3042 times)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile

So-i discovered unity.
Being a retard,as i always have been,i dont understand a thing about it.
But i do know that i am not giving up now.
The failed forum games have fueled my self-shame and loathing to a point,where further assholery is impossible.
So,i would like to ask some help :I(skype?)
Nothing like making all the scripts for me,but pointing out the mistakes in them.
Also,i am an antisocial fuck,so any kind of talk is actually welcome.

What i would like to achieve,is a procedural planet engine-like the ones often seen in youtube.
If there were procedural monsters and loot,with dark-souls like combat mechanics,without hp and with the unforgiveness of DF..
i would be quite happy indeed c: I will post a comment when i can start livestreaming and making myself an idiot.
Have an anthro wolf model while i am at it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RCSSWcR_o
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=procedural+planet&oq=procedural+planet&gs_l=youtube.3..35i39j0l2.170011.179649.1.179810.30.23.7.0.0.0.185.2692.2j21.23.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube._xSMx6NjFKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOxiLdRvdk
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:48:42 am by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning programming,unity,and creating something in the process C:
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:47 am »

Sorry to say this, but you will never pull this off. Unless you are already a very experienced software developer.

Aim lower, much much lower.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:44:08 am »

i am aiming low :I
i just want to learn programming,and make something neat in the process,be it "hello world" or ultimate super mario walrus thing.
I am a Goober.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:11:09 pm »

Generating a procedural planet is not aiming low. Not at all. Sure, a decent programmer can generate the spherical mesh to some degree. But you need much more that that to be able to do it effetively and actually use this generated mesh.

Even more advanced is what wolfire did with their animation system. It requires not just programming knowledge but also a very keen understanding of multidimensional complex algebra and linear algebra. Without it you simply can't have functional inverse kinematics without matrices or quaternions.

If you want to learn while making a game that's fine. It is a great way to learn programming. But start with very simple stuff. Make a platformer, or a topdown rpg. Heck with unity you could make both of those things 3d. Trust me, for someone without programming experience those are already hard and neat projects on their own.

Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »

I think Killjoy is right.  If you have no programming experience and you want to create something like that, you'll probably either fail outright or spend a decade working out how to do it.  If you're really resolute, consider heading to one of the programming threads.  There's a good programming thread in General Discussion and one in Creative Projects.  Start with separate mini-projects to learn programming and worry about your overarching goal some other time.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:17 pm »

I do most of my coding in Unity. Your project sounds fairly hard. That said, I'm sure you'll learn lots of interesting things in the process, so it's worth trying even if an end product is unlikely.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 05:01:20 am »

A procedurally generated 2D game is totally possible. Go try that! c:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:50 pm »

The funny thing about people with ambitious game ideas:  Most the time the idea is too ambitious, and they give up and their next idea is a bit more realistic.

But every once in a great while that neophyte with the crazy idea *actually pulls it off*

so OP, sounds like a great project, go and don't look back:

http://acko.net/blog/making-worlds-1-of-spheres-and-cubes/
http://www.nullpointer.co.uk/content/procedural-planets/
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/127292-Procedural-Terrain-on-a-Planet
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:27:50 pm »

As someone who started learning programming by trying overly-ambitious projects (Seriously, I finished not a one) and is now the Lead Programmer for Subterranean Games and the so-far successful War for the Overworld project, go for it!

You will fail of course, but you'll learn a lot in the process! Then once you repair your self-esteem you'll try something more realistic. Oh yes you'll fail that one too. But you'll have learnt something. Rinse and repeat until you finish a project!

If you're using Unity and have some expendable money, you could get a real head start and buy a few plugins - There are some procedural planet generation ones there too.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »

I would say, if it's something you really want to achieve, don't get put off trying. Though I would also agree that you have to be prepared to not get anywhere near what you wanted. (Own experience)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 07:09:12 pm »

Aside from all the criticism so far, learning programming enough for unity is not too hard of a thing to do. Unity is a very high-level language and you won't get to learn much programming (due to how user-friendly it is) so when you do come out of the glorious blanket of something like game-maker/unity, you will be baffled at the concept of having to do trigonometry so that a sprite can follow your mouse.

you need to be realistic about this, I've been programming for about 5 months now and would you like to know what I've achieved? (i'll give you a clue, it isn't much).
. A 2d Game where coloured cubes collide and create a baby that is a mixture of those cubes
. A basic 2d platformer, a cube has a jetpack and must finish the level before fuel runs out ( he can refill on the way if he finds the power up)
. Basic parsing of websites
. General syntax, classes, functions and regular expressions etc.

What you want to do is a loooooong way away and it's worth doing tiny tiny TINY little games just to learn.
By all means learn unity but just realise that it will not aid your programming to a high degree, you'll need to do much lower level programming to really understand what you are doing.

I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 02:40:05 am »

Aside from all the criticism so far, learning programming enough for unity is not too hard of a thing to do. Unity is a very high-level language and you won't get to learn much programming (due to how user-friendly it is) so when you do come out of the glorious blanket of something like game-maker/unity, you will be baffled at the concept of having to do trigonometry so that a sprite can follow your mouse.

you need to be realistic about this, I've been programming for about 5 months now and would you like to know what I've achieved? (i'll give you a clue, it isn't much).
. A 2d Game where coloured cubes collide and create a baby that is a mixture of those cubes
. A basic 2d platformer, a cube has a jetpack and must finish the level before fuel runs out ( he can refill on the way if he finds the power up)
. Basic parsing of websites
. General syntax, classes, functions and regular expressions etc.

What you want to do is a loooooong way away and it's worth doing tiny tiny TINY little games just to learn.
By all means learn unity but just realise that it will not aid your programming to a high degree, you'll need to do much lower level programming to really understand what you are doing.

I would disagree with most of the above. The Unity engine is a fantastic tool to develop programming skills in. C# and Java are great, wide-spread languages to learn. Unity cuts out all the crap between you and making your game, and lets be honest, that IS the goal.
Avoiding all the hardcore low-level graphics programming will be a short-coming for someone for sure. But its much easier to go back and learn that stuff later after you have had a taste for games programming in the first place and know its what you want to spend time learning.

OP's current game idea is of course way too big a task. But I would still suggest using Unity for whatever goal is chosen.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:17:43 am »

Out of curiosity, does anybody know any good unity 2d tutorials?  I've got lots of experience with general programming, but I don't know a whole lot about graphics programming and every time I've tried to make something in unity I always seem to have trouble getting images to look right.

I'd love to see a tutorial for doing a top-down display with zoom and scrolling.  I get the feeling if I could understand things that far, I'd have a much better chance at making something.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 01:29:45 pm »

The first game I wanted to make was similar to this. Not surprisingly, it didn't work out. Just like most other people who start programming explicitly to make games, I never finished my first epic super cool game. However, it's been a while since I started, and now I am in the process of making something that I would enjoy playing.

My advice is to make a few mini games first. When you are finally ready to make your real game, start small, and just add the basics. This way, your game is playable, even if its not finished. You can add things as your ambitions wax and wane, and eventually have the game you planned on making earlier.

What's more likely, I think, is that as you start programming, you'll slowly become interested in something entirely different that what you starting out wanting. Just keep your options open.

Good luck.