Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making an ARG  (Read 1222 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Making an ARG
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »

I had a friend last year who was tagging lambda symbols on walls around my campus - ala HL2.

An idea came to me last night while thinking about hunting down all of those spots - making an Alternate Reality Game in my campus.

So far the idea's come down to taking the little plastic film canisters and putting notes in them, with a distress note and a time and place inside them. Setting up the place with another canister and a note that says "wait".  Step aside for a while and wait for other people to show up, then lead them on some sort of an adventure. I'm thinking I need to get a cheap, disposable phone I can use to text the people after gathering their numbers (And mine) and hiding them in a film canister. The canisters would be the main mode of communication, using the texting service to direct them to the next plot point.

The basis so far is that something is happening that isn't exactly human. Sort of a Marble Hornets thing. There's an old arboretum on my campus that would be perfect to hide things in and the place is over 100 years old so I'm sure I can find some cool drop points in bathrooms and and crevices outside. The person reaching out I'm planning on naming Gregory Masters. For various reasons  ;D

At one point I'm considering putting a USB drive into one (A free college handout one) with some pictures of important locations and a dark, grainy video telling them more of what's happening.

So, I wanted to run this by this community. And if there's anyone going to college in the great state of Idaho, PM me with your college if you wanna help me GM the thing, and I'll let you know if we go to the same school.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making an ARG
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:19:57 pm »

1) Make sure it doesn't seem too terribly serious and non-gamey. Don't want campus officials to get concerned.

2) Give people a reason to get into the game. People don't generally pick up strange, out of the way objects without reason. So don't have that be the way into the adventure.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:01:21 pm »

I'm tempted to see if there isn't a forum on FB I can find that's got a lot of kids on it, making a fake account, and posting in there. Something like a confessions page.

Confessing to seeing "Something... Else" in the old arboretum. Then maybe ask to have interested parties message me. Then enter the film canisters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:38:04 pm »

Luring a bunch of kids to an abandoned building?

The idea... has potential flaws.

I'm currently making a ARG atm. Really, you want a bunch of people who know you and know they're playing. Make it good enough and they'll get absorbed in playing it, anyway.

Aside from that, it's a cool idea.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...