Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Currently Unnamed Dragon Game (See latest post)  (Read 20543 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Unnamed Dragon Game
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:48 pm »

Are these better or worse?
I'm not the one you posed the question to, but what you posted is data, not code. Entirely unrelated data if I might add, unless you intend for your game to parse raws.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »

Are these better or worse?
I'm not the one you posed the question to, but what you posted is data, not code. Entirely unrelated data if I might add, unless you intend for your game to parse raws.

Those were examples of prior coding I did for my dwarf fortress mods that I was using as an example of how messy my coding might wind up.

Poison

You know, you could call the Poison dragon a "Hydra"

It would even allow you to differentiate between the dragons further and take away the Dragon's weakness.

It's more along the lines of acid, I'm just referring to it as poison.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »

Now is earth just rock or is it nature too?

Ok I should just ask it another way...

Do the dragons differ in fundamental ways?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:08:13 pm by Neonivek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »

I'd like to note that this game idea sounds awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »

Hrgghghghg. I think I may have just had a small fan-gasm over the idea of this.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 05:04:15 pm »

1)Now is earth just rock or is it nature too?

Ok I should just ask it another way...

2)Do the dragons differ in fundamental ways?

1) Just rock

2) There should be a fair difference.  Example: Shadow elemental dragons could play the part of a thief when they are younger by wrapping themselves in shadow to hide from the eyes of occupants, Earth can manipulate the land in order to collapse the land that invading armies are standing upon, Ice wouldn't become frostbitten in tundra and glacier biomes, as well as being able to fly to a higher altitude by resisting the cold, Fire wouldn't become overheated near Volcanoes, as well as being able to travel through magma and lava for some time, etc.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »

Ok I see, so combat wise they are very similar but with different priorities.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:14:46 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 06:24:48 pm »

Silly name suggestion: Dat Dragon Game
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:31 pm »

Name Suggestion: From Drake to Wyrm
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:54 pm »

Here, have a very, very quick placeholder model (Blender, includes texture in png format made procedurally, and individual body parts have vertex groups for easier use later).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42635636/QuickDragon.zip

(picture)

Don't worry so much about quality of anything yet: get your model loader, textures, etc working first, mess around with movement and other mechanics, and go back to models later when you have a good idea of what you want (and if you are still waiting by that point, mess with model animation prototypes so you have something started).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51:02 pm »

Here, have a very, very quick placeholder model (Blender, includes texture in png format made procedurally, and individual body parts have vertex groups for easier use later).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42635636/QuickDragon.zip

(picture)

Don't worry so much about quality of anything yet: get your model loader, textures, etc working first, mess around with movement and other mechanics, and go back to models later when you have a good idea of what you want (and if you are still waiting by that point, mess with model animation prototypes so you have something started).

I'll use that for testing.  Though the final version will need to have the various body parts listed in the customization concept will need to be separated, unless each of those can be modified in game.

Though, I may need to limit the number of models to keep the size low, because this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is a 1.5 megabyte file!

Sounds a bit like this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81060.0

I will admit, it, as well as a few other posts mentioning the lack of dragon games (including what people would like to see in one), led me to begin my attempt at this.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »

I'll be here from time to time to post fan-art to a non-existant game, so it serves the sole purpose of reminding the OP to continue working on it.

Pretty awesome idea, it's Bahamut Lagoon meets DF and a bunch of cool things. Are the dragons exclusively european in nature? Maybe retaining something from colors and metals coming from D&D lore? Or are you going to delve into other mythologies and concepts? A Sárkány is not the same as a Ryū, and that comes as an advantage.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 10:30:20 pm »

Personally my idea was that each dragon would sort of have an element and style onto themselves.

Hence why I thought it would be cool if the poison dragon was a Hydra. Since that not only gives it a different style of elemental attacks but it also gives it a different combat style and solution set.

I am waaaaay to suggesty when I see a game that peaks my interest on here.

Ahh I see why my idea doesn't work

Your dragon character will be able to be customized by name, head shape, eye color, scale color, horns, back spikes, wing style (leather or scale), body shape, and gender

Yeah it sort of becomes incompatible when dragons need to be customizable to have multiple dragon types.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:44 am »

Pretty awesome idea, it's Bahamut Lagoon meets DF and a bunch of cool things. Are the dragons exclusively european in nature? Maybe retaining something from colors and metals coming from D&D lore? Or are you going to delve into other mythologies and concepts? A Sárkány is not the same as a Ryū, and that comes as an advantage.

I'm going to have the default be European style, but I will include an uploader so that people can add in their own models.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11