Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Currently Unnamed Dragon Game (See latest post)  (Read 20545 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Unnamed Dragon Game
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 03:47:15 am »

Are these better or worse?
I'm not the one you posed the question to, but what you posted is data, not code. Entirely unrelated data if I might add, unless you intend for your game to parse raws.

Those were examples of prior coding I did for my dwarf fortress mods that I was using as an example of how messy my coding might wind up.
I must admit a large degree of ignorance towards both DF modding and Java(to a lesser extent). But as far as I know, there are very few similarities between them.

Like everyone else here, I absolutely love the idea, but going straight for 3d(and all the animations, collision detection and pathfinding that it implies) and a complex procedurally generated world, when you said you don't know how to program in java, is a very bold move. Obviously you can ignore this if you have a background in other languages or know some good java libraries, but otherwise I suggest you start off with something a bit simpler, like a 2d prototype.

EDIT: Wat. This the 2nd page I created in this thread.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:51:11 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:30 am »

yay! :D *hugs*

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 02:45:15 pm »

Like everyone else here, I absolutely love the idea, but going straight for 3d(and all the animations, collision detection and pathfinding that it implies) and a complex procedurally generated world, when you said you don't know how to program in java, is a very bold move. Obviously you can ignore this if you have a background in other languages or know some good java libraries, but otherwise I suggest you start off with something a bit simpler, like a 2d prototype.

Based on what I am seeing, I am going to change it to a rougelike, and then advance it to sprite based graphics.  If I try for 3d graphics, I get the feeling the game will become too large to be able to be uploaded.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »

Based on what I am seeing, I am going to change it to a rougelike, and then advance it to sprite based graphics.  If I try for 3d graphics, I get the feeling the game will become too large to be able to be uploaded.
Well, this is still fine. Lots of great games are ASCII.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »

A la Drakefire Chasm?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:56 pm »

A la Drakefire Chasm?

In terms of Graphics?  Until the animated sprite-based graphics (ex.pokemon world map movement), yes.

I'm still going to try to implement the multiplayer, though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:39:35 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 06:37:59 pm »

will there be a way to savescum if its going to be rogue-like?

and is there going to be relationship stuff or no? fine if not, I just like asking questions

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »

will there be a way to savescum if its going to be rogue-like?

and is there going to be relationship stuff or no? fine if not, I just like asking questions

I'm going to be using a save system similar to DF.  Since there is going to be persistent worlds, I can see the possibility of someone starting succession game (turns would change either by death of the dragon, time in real life, or one level advancement).

Yes, but nothing that would ramp the game's rating to 18+ if it was released to the general populace.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:56 pm »

Oh darn.

(P.S. That was sarcasm.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »

If this is going to be a "One save system" are you going to actually do something with the bones files?

Like General undead dragons from them?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:24 pm »

If this is going to be a "One save system" are you going to actually do something with the bones files?

What do you mean by 'bones files'?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 08:37:13 pm »

Bone files is what the game saves from a dead run to use later.

Called Bone Files because in Roguelikes, the origin of bone files, you can come across the body of your previous characters. In IVAN you can even fight the ghost of your previous character.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »

Bone files is what the game saves from a dead run to use later.

Called Bone Files because in Roguelikes, the origin of bone files, you can come across the body of your previous characters. In IVAN you can even fight the ghost of your previous character.

So are you asking whether you will be able to combat your previous characters if you create a new dragon for the same game world?  If so, yes.  If not, what is it you are asking?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 09:03:22 pm »

I am basically asking if the game will do anything with your dead dragons. Like turn them into undead dragons, dragon ghosts, or what have you.

Or have people talk about your dead dragons, or have shrines dedicated to them, or have fledgling dragons don its mantle, or dragon cults surrounding it.

Something really cool that turns even your most spectacular failures into a stunning display.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:07:55 pm by Neonivek »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »

I am basically asking if the game will do anything with your dead dragons. Like turn them into undead dragons, dragon ghosts, or what have you.

I'm going to try to have the bodies tracked, and maybe have the ghosts around former lairs, unless they died near necromancers, then the dragon will be an undead minion with the ghost asking you to liberate their body, or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11