Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding a race to a civilization.  (Read 1384 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Adding a race to a civilization.
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »

I want to add elves to my dwarven civs. Now, before you pull the magma lever, let me explain. These would be cacame-esque elves (probably a slightly modified version of elves, I'll give them beards and get rid of some of the hippie stuff.) I want these "descendants" to behave like normal dwarves and mix with the general population, so I would get some as migrants and such. How would I go about this? Do I do some funky stuff with castes or just add them to the entity? (This is 34.11.)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a race to a civilization.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:41:39 pm »

Multi-race civilizations aren't quite in. The elves and goblins and such found in human towns are usually there because they were captured or their town was captured during a war and they were forced to integrate into the civilization.

You could add them as rare dwarven castes, though that could cause an issue with dwarves giving birth to elves and vice-versa.

If you were to add them to the dwarven entity, then the elves would form their own civ separate from a dwarven one but identical in flavour, as they would still have the same ethics, clothing, nobles, and such.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »

I'm not confident enough to muck about with adding them as a caste. For now, I'm making them a seperate entity that's essentially copied from dwarves with a couple ethical differences.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »

You could add them as rare dwarven castes, though that could cause an issue with dwarves giving birth to elves and vice-versa.

It is terrifying.

I'm not confident enough to muck about with adding them as a caste. For now, I'm making them a seperate entity that's essentially copied from dwarves with a couple ethical differences.

As far as I know, identical ethics would make them less likely to mix with dwarves, since they're less likely to go to war and be conquered.  Territorial disputes are a thing now, but this appears to be connected to a [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITION] token, which neither elves nor dwarves have.  Actual intermarriage outside of that isn't really a thing yet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:53:59 pm by samanato »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »

The castes thing is probably what you would need to do in this scenario. (You could hand wave births by stating that by this point pretty much everyone is mixed blood). Adding to the entity results in towns being one or the other, but I don't think it will result in viable migrants (though it might now, you can test it and tell us if it works!).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 02:57:11 pm »

Even if they get conquered and added to a civ (does this happen with non-snatchers in 34.11?), they won't migrate to a fortress, will they?

Speaking of, what happens if you give dwarves the [BABYSNACTCHER] tag other than war with everyone but the gobbos?

EDIT: I'll have to try the new version with this as well. By the way, any tips about messing with castes? Elves have different physical attributes than dwarves; what happens if these are re-declared at caste level after they are declared for all castes?
GM of Trespassers V2.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 03:00:09 pm »

Stat tokens are caste-level.  Not sure, if gaits are also caste-determined, but I think they are too.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »

Okay, I duplicated dwarves, changed the entity name and a few ethics values, changed the species to the custom elves, and now my worlds reject when placing civilizations.

EDIT: Not sure what I did, but now the custom elf civ works. I'll get to creating a mixed civ later.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:57:38 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »

Multi-race civilizations aren't quite in. The elves and goblins and such found in human towns are usually there because they were captured or their town was captured during a war and they were forced to integrate into the civilization.

If you were to add them to the dwarven entity, then the elves would form their own civ separate from a dwarven one but identical in flavour, as they would still have the same ethics, clothing, nobles, and such.

Here's an idea, you can mod in a caste "buyable" by adding [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC]. make that an "elf" caste, set the pop ratio to zero for these, and you should be able to buy them at embark without dwarves giving birth to them. Make them non-breeders and they can be "elven eunuchs" who work as slaves for the main race.