Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eerie Glowing Pit as magma source  (Read 516 times)

BeardlessDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eerie Glowing Pit as magma source
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:59:00 am »

There always seems to be magma in a little spot near the EGP. Does anyone know if this coutns as a source of magma or will it solidify eventually?

This would make finding maps with magma + EGPs and everything else a little easier. Of course finding the magma would be much more challenging & dangerous but at least you would know you ahd access to magma.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Eerie Glowing Pit as magma source
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

I doubt it will solidify. Has any magma been solidifying? I have temperature and weather turned on one map and I disconnected my forge room from the magma source by 20 squares of obsidian (dried it with water) and it never solidified. I also had a magma trap completely disconnected from the magma on one fort for years and it never solidified, despite being pumped into a room, dropped on things, pumped back up, etc.

You would have to build your forges really deep in the earth right by the place, though. From what I've seen there is hardly any magma in there. The one I found was 1 tile 2 z levels deep, so it only had 14 "units" of magma. I think you need either 4 or 5 units under the forge to have it work, so you'd only have 2, maaybe 3, workshops built over it if you were very careful with it.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BeardlessDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eerie Glowing Pit as magma source
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

ah, the volume would be a problem then indeed.

Thanks  :)