Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animation Problem  (Read 541 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animation Problem
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »

I'm really hoping someone here is good with Autodesk Maya, because I can't find anything on Google that helps with this particular problem.

I made a hat for Team Fortress 2, which has turned out okay:

However, when I add on a texture (created in Mudbox), it turns into this:

Spoiler: Textured (click to show/hide)

If you can't tell, the objects on the far side of the helmet are being rendered in front of the main body of the helmet. I thought it was a problem with normals, but fiddling with them has yet to yield any results. It looks fine in Mudbox, oddly enough.

Spoiler: Meanwhile, in Mudbox (click to show/hide)

Does anybody have any ideas why this might happen?

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animation Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:43:38 pm »

No experience with Maya OR Mudbox, but could it be a UV issue? I.e that half of the helmet has flipped UV coords and because of that Maya renders the faces with inverted normals?

smaadmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50:04 pm »

Its hard to say without seeing exactly what was done but it is most likely something to do with the normal mapping or with some form of secondary texture. Maybe contact them on their forums to give it a query?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:00:14 pm »

Thanks for responding. Still no luck with texturing in Mudbox, but I've found it works fine if I just use Photoshop instead. Guess that's what I'll have to do from now on, then.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »

Definitely a normals issue. You're probably not seeing it in Mudbox because Maya may, by default, be rendering the model single-sided. I'm too rusty with Maya to give any direct instructions, but this may help: http://mayazest.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/display-vertex-normals-in-maya.html