Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mundane World Revived Development Thread  (Read 1932 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Mundane World Revived Development Thread
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:37:50 pm »

I was recently thinking of attempting to have another shot at trying to create the 'Mundane World' mod, and I am curious as to whether there would be any interest in my attempting to do so.  Variety of civilizations will probably be stripped down a bit due to the inexplicably slow population growth rate, and not initially implementing Grimlocke's Historic Arms and Armor mod in order to keep down the initial workload.

Before I do so, however, I am curious if there would be any actual interest in attempting to create the mod once more.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:18:20 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Curious...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »

This has my enduring interest! In terms of workload it might be wise to not try and recreate every culture on earth at once (and maybe stick to a specific period in history).

My approach would be to first just take out all the obvious fantasy stuff, elves, dragons, etc and just build a functioning game with only the generic human civ. After that you can focus on adding other cultures, diseases and metallurgy.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Curious...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 06:21:39 pm »

This has my enduring interest! In terms of workload it might be wise to not try and recreate every culture on earth at once (and maybe stick to a specific period in history).

My approach would be to first just take out all the obvious fantasy stuff, elves, dragons, etc and just build a functioning game with only the generic human civ. After that you can focus on adding other cultures, diseases and metallurgy.

Honestly, I think the only thing that had stopped me on the civilization end last time was that I never got any help with figuring out what the hell was happening with the population growing really fast for some and barely growing at all for others.  Still don't know what is going on with that, so I'm going to stick with generic monarchies.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Mundane World Revived Development Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »

A minor bit of curiousity.  Should elves, dwarves, animal men, giant animals, and all other fantasy creatures, rather than being removed, be treated like Centaurs and Chimera?  Specifically, have their entries stripped down and placed in a file with the 'does note exist' tag, so there is a chance for them appearing in engravings, serving the purpose of being within the mundane world's mythology?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »

A minor bit of curiousity.  Should elves, dwarves, animal men, giant animals, and all other fantasy creatures, rather than being removed, be treated like Centaurs and Chimera?  Specifically, have their entries stripped down and placed in a file with the 'does note exist' tag, so there is a chance for them appearing in engravings, serving the purpose of being within the mundane world's mythology?

That would make sense. Our world works that way.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:19:17 pm »

That would make sense. Our world works that way.

Probably going to be going the route of slow integration for all the 'man' and 'giant' creatures.  There's a lot of them.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:27:03 pm »

Minor question, should I leave the underground creatures as they are and thereby make the place even more bizarre, or effectively depopulate the place to remove all the stuff not part of our world?  Third option would be to remove some (ex. Caveswallowmen), but leave the rest as they are.  Thoughts?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:07:44 pm »

Minor question, should I leave the underground creatures as they are and thereby make the place even more bizarre, or effectively depopulate the place to remove all the stuff not part of our world?  Third option would be to remove some (ex. Caveswallowmen), but leave the rest as they are.  Thoughts?

Cave people maybe? I'd depopulate it of monsters, but add lots of real cave animals. It might be disappointing in gameplay, but it would be a more realistic cave.

If you're willing to exaggerate the depth they live at, you could put bears or other normal animals in the caves. This seems like it could serve as inspiration, although cave bears are extinct.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 10:15:20 am »

I hope you haven't been spending to much time plinking out giant and animal man creatures because you can do them all at once by adding [CV_NEW_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST] under their entries in c_variation_default ;)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:41 am »

I hope you haven't been spending to much time plinking out giant and animal man creatures because you can do them all at once by adding [CV_NEW_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST] under their entries in c_variation_default ;)

I am plinking them out.  Mainly because I recall stuff loading faster due to the game not having to worry about over half the creatures it typically does.  Add in I will likely strip out all the languages aside from Human, at least for the initial release, and the game will likely end up with a moderately faster load time.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 09:16:30 pm »

DF creature raws minus animal people because I got sick of furries everywhere and it's a useful enough starting point for various mods to do it once the hard way, didn't do giant stuff though but you could do the does not exist cv if you wanted: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12737

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »

I say that is a good idea.