Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Customizable disease mod for contagious, non-communicable and epidemics. Reuse!  (Read 28555 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ugh. Fo sho? My 5 testing companions during a short adventure didn't show signs of disease after 20? times of traveling and saving and reloading, but maybe that's too few trials.

Stupid question first: Is it newest version? If not sure, in newest version line 9, 5th line with text, of interaction_disease_probabilities.txt reads [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:DEPRESSION_CHECK_MADE]

If yes, can you give circumstances so I can replicate and investigate? How long did it take for symptoms to manifest?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

Yep, it was the newest version.  I played as a dwarf, picked up a few soldiers from town and traveled around a bit.

After 4 or 5 quick travels, they were blind, yellow, cancer-riddled insomniacs who all had high blood pressure.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, saving and reloading in dwarf mode brings in a plethora of new diseases in a similar fashion.

Edit:

Actually, saving and reloading guarantees some sort of disease and defect for every single dwarf.  So, this version is a little worse. :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:23:25 pm by evictedSaint »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy mother...

I downloaded the new version myself and added it to a fresh install. Yeah, it happens apparently. I have no idea how I did not see that upon testing it myself. I have no idea how I was able to confirm in play that serial killers no longer get all mental disorders upon save & reload without noticing. Possibly

1. Either I had an undetected file in my diseases version of DF that "fixed" it, or
2. Conversion to a windows form somehow borked it, or
3. I did not upload the same version as I was testing.

Anyway, very sorry. Edit: fixed in next post.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, actually it was giving every dwarf every disease. Found & fixed this critical issue. I assume that's what was causing the adventure mode problems too since I didn't find them myself. Thanks for reporting it. I wonder what those 17 other downloaders did :(

It was as follows:
A disease's first probability check gives the following:
1. You may not use this interaction if you have the syndrome already
2. Syndrome: Permanently set body broadness to 99%, and with e.g. 2% probability, be able to do interaction to make secondary disease check for 3000 phases

this works fine, except upon saving and reloading DF apparently interprets this as "Permanently set: body broadness is 99%, able to make secondary disease check, with 100% probability" for some reason that I really can't be bothered to figure out as it's not my day job.

To fix this, I changed it to:
1. You may not use this interaction if you have syndrome 1 already
2. Syndrome 1: permanently set body broadness to 99%
3. Syndrome 2: With e.g. 2% probability, be able to do interaction to make secondary disease check for 3000 phases

This does not cause the same issue with saving and reloading. My theory is it is interpreted as "Body broadness is permanently 99%, other syndrome has expired"

Furthermore for some obscure reason I had made this change for myself but uploaded a version without it, possibly assuming it was superfluous or just making an honest mistake.

Uploaded the fixed version... This time I downloaded, unpacked it myself into a fresh dwarf install and tried. Did not see extra diseases on save/reload (2 forts, 3 tries).

I'm also going to post the fixed disease probability raw for reference.

And the script to make it:
Spoiler: diseasemaker.sh (click to show/hide)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all fine. I just hadn't played much during the past week, and last night I loaded it up to find that all my dwarves were giant blind insomniatic serial killers with depression, cancer, high blood pressure, and pnemonia and was like, whaaaaat.

I'll check your new version out later. :P

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

If... (I'm really asking for mwmod's, but I figured I'd ask here since it's only just been implemented)

• I wanted to reduce the % chance of certain diseases considerably... how would I do so?

• Is there a way to ensure a dwarf who has been cured already of a disease, doesn't get it again (i.e. via modding?).  I know I can remove the end token from the syndrome of an item such as medicine.  But... to my understanding, some diseases have a natural run length.  It would make more sense game wise if a dwarf who is already sick couldn't catch the same sickness (although, I don't think that's really an issue), but it would be better if a dwarf who was sick with pneumonia, can't get it again.

• Although, I am ALL FOR MUTATIONS of diseases... but the chance of mutation should be like 2%... So... there's only a small chance that a dwarf who has had pneumonia once, could get it again, but it would have been from a mutated variety...

• Also, is there any way disease resistance can be taken into account for chance of sickness?

• What about length of sickness based on recuperation?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:20:03 am by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

1. PROB
2. IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS along with an interaction that does absolutely nothing but lingers on the dwarf permanently; such a thing will not affect gameplay and can be stacked on top of or overwritten (unlike effects like speed change)
3. Yes, have the aforementioned do-nothing can-do-interaction have a 98% chance of actually applying
4. RESISTABLE
5. I don't think so?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On 1 question

PROB:

for influenza

has 3 things associated with it
nausea
pain
fever

so... for this syndrome to have an affect on a dwarf, those 3 subcategory (probabilities) have to be modded?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:33:05 am by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Have the probability be a probability to get a self-inflicted interaction that then has a 100% chance of applying all three

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st.  I have no idea how to do any of that Putnam, but I do appreciate the input, as maybe someone else who has more syndrome experience can give me specific raw examples.

2nd.  I had a better idea than mutable diseases.  Rather than having to code the chance of mutation as well as the new modified disease.  I thought instead, why not just have the dwarf immune to the disease for a set period of time.  Say a year.  Generally in real world experience.  Diseases mutate from year to year (although, I hear as one gets older, they are less likely to get colds as they may have had the variety already, but there are no colds in this game, it's pneumonia, flu, and meningitis, which I do believe do mutate yearly).

So it would make perfect sense to just make the dwarf immune until next sick season.  This I think would be a lot easier, you could just have the syndrome's affects only occur during a certain (incubation) period, while after the incubation period is over, the dwarf has the sickness, or has a new syndrome that show's he's immune to whatever sickness he had before (like yearly_immune_pneumonia syndrome).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

1st.  I have no idea how to do any of that Putnam, but I do appreciate the input, as maybe someone else who has more syndrome experience can give me specific raw examples.

1. Make a syndrome that has a SELF_ONLY CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION with a PROB of less than 100%
2. Make the interaction impart a syndrome that is the flu, all with a PROB of 100

that's pretty much it

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok. im starting to get it now.

what do you mean by resistable a few posts up?

why cant recuperation affect syndrome length?  if its dfhack i should be able to call up a check on a dwarfs attribute value and maybe apply a medicine to syndrome cure a disease early and rely on the incubation period ending to give me a 1 year immumity afterwards.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

what do you mean by resistable a few posts up?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Syndrome#Creature_effect_tokens

RESISTABLE is a token that allows you to resist syndromes (probably SEV-wise) with DISEASE_RESISTANCE

why cant recuperation affect syndrome length?  if its dfhack i should be able to call up a check on a dwarfs attribute value and maybe apply a medicine to syndrome cure a disease early and rely on the incubation period ending to give me a 1 year immumity afterwards.

Maybe with a plugin, yeah, but when I post here, I usually mean with raws only

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

could i invoke a lua script within the syndrome? if not... then the only way to donit i think woul be a plugin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8