Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: You Are An Angry Scientist, or "Punitive Expedition OOC"  (Read 4390 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: You Are An Angry Scientist, or "Punitive Expedition OOC"
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:25 pm »

I was thinking that it would just rebuild the blade parts that chipped.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 12:56:39 am »

In the meantime, it'd be nice for 10ebbor10 to do an IC post.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 07:39:37 am »

I was thinking that it would just rebuild the blade parts that chipped.
Using what?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2013, 08:00:30 am »

Carbon molecules from the air? It's the preferred nanomaterial of choice.

A self sharpening sword seems perfectly viable. It's extremely small scale stuff like that that nanostuff excels at after all.

To return a bit. My power question wasn't answered completely. Yes, you can transfer electricity to a nanite fairly easily. Any idea how to actually use it. You're far below the minimal size for electrical engines after all.

OR, each nanobot could contain a nano-scale quantum computer (which works, as the only working quantum computers we have at the moment are on the nano-scale).
Then each nanobot would be absurdly large. Which seems to be the plan anyway. Still, quantum computers aren't faster than normal ones.(They excel at certain problems, not all) Also they're non deterministic, which is a bad thing for a nanobot. (Also, that's really minimal size, meaning that each nanobot would 've very limited capabilities.)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 06:46:47 pm »

It doesn't have to be quantum computer (which could very well be faster (way faster) than conventional computers in the future, as there are experiments which have shown they can be faster). I was really thinking about a nano-scale supercomputer (at least, a super computer compared to their size) that would enable them to be extremely versatile and do thousands of different things. Its possible, and if we are talking 300-500 years into the future, then it is very possible.

And, if we do eventually come into contact with (friendly) Aliens, it suddenly becomes very, very possible. In fact, a large number of things become possible.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 08:29:25 pm »

I think viroids are cheaper and easier; since they're made to be recyclable, you can then use them as construction material, meaning your resources transport themselves.

There could even be viroids specifically made to just 'move this long and then die' to be resource haulers. After all, they could be made slightly more advanced than a virus, which to me means they have something that functions as a yes or no, which would determine other things they do. Just one, and still simple things, but it's the difference between having a skyscraper and having a bunch of steel bars several kilometers high.

Also, that's assuming we meet aliens more advanced than us.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 08:32:12 pm »

There could even be viroids specifically made to just 'move this long and then die' to be resource haulers. After all, they could be made slightly more advanced than a virus, which to me means they have something that functions as a yes or no, which would determine other things they do. Just one, and still simple things, but it's the difference between having a skyscraper and having a bunch of steel bars several kilometers high.
That would be simple enough, in theory: Give them limited power supplies.
Seems like it would require pouring multiple mixtures of a nanobot-construction material slurry on the building-to-be, though...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 08:46:13 pm »

Still easier than using cranes.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »

Depends on how easy it is to make the nanobots and slurrify the building materials.

But yes, if that's easier than using cranes, it's easier than using cranes.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 08:52:31 pm »

Good point. But it's definitely faster. It would take months or years to build a skyscraper using conventional methods. Nanotech cuts that to several weeks to a couple months.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »

The actual construction, yes.

Assembling the nanostuff versus getting the I-beams and such together? Varies.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]