Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Welcome to Shakecloistered.

Read our page, go ahead.
- 0 (0%)
Read the spinoff thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130203.0
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Shakecloistered [Succession Fortress For Newbies]  (Read 35274 times)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: Shakecloistered [Succession Fortress For Newbies]
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2013, 04:46:06 am »

Ok here is my final update. No in-character moments, nothing much happened. Loads of Pictures though.

First of all:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are a barony now.

And now for the summary of the fort. I won't show every single thing, only new additions and important changes.

Let's take it from the top shall we?

Old entrance had been sealed:

Above that is unfinnished tower, from top to bottom:

Next main level, namely Grand Hall and top of Bedroom Block:

And bedroom layout:

Dug out Noble level:

I've posted guards in front of Treasuries and Royal Throne Room, just for RP's sake:

Catacombs, They need an expansion btw.:

Jail and new hospital with well, well is vital for operations in hospital, wound cleaning etc. Also both need furniture. Don't use copper chains in jail though, it is a very bad idea:

And my magnum opus, the Killing Pit. It has some design flaws, mainly anything with wings can get out without sweat but it still can be useful. This place is intended as a training ground for archers. Just post the archers around the fortifications and than drop enemies. Careful with enemy archers, they retaliate:

And our expanded forges:

And now the most fun part! Artifacts and Enemies!

First let's start with ONLY enemy that turned up! Big welcome to Mr.Bison!

And this is first artifact made during my turn:
No comments on this one, it's pretty standard.

My favorite artifact by far, My Chair!
I appreciate the elf killing titan. Also my Dwarf likes anvils so it is an added bonus. Also it is made of glass! It is a Dwarven version of the Iron Throne in that you can really hurt yourself by sitting alone! Dwarfy!

Artifact number 3:
A memento to one of our fallen comrades, let us show our respect by a moment of silence.

Artifact number 4:
I hate this one personally, shows weakness.

Aaand the winner of The Most Useless Artifact Ever Created:
This must be the worst artifact I've ever seen, yes worse even than artifact earring. Earrings do not pretend to be something they are not.

And now for something completely different. Did you ever wonder why we never get caravans other than dwarves? Or why gobbos never visited? If yes take a look at these pictures:

And now something kind of relevant, I was thinking about making a spinoff Thread with me as a sole ruler of Shakecloistered. You know, to see how different the fort will get between me and other guys. However only challenge without goblins are Clowns. I could prepare to take them on and try to win but first i want to find out if others want to see this. Please leave a reply with your thoughts.

Strike the Earth!

EDIT: Why do I feel i'm forgetting something? Oh Crap that's right! One more thing!
Do whatever you want with it^^.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:34:19 am by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:54 am »

The Killing Pit is absolutely amazing. I propose somebody gets around to making it magma-powered.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

sevenredreturns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:43 am »

the idea of magma powering something like that terrifies me.  Also I have been looking around the fort some... and wow.  My framerate is hovering aroung 4 and 5.  This may take a small amount of time XD

Funny thing is it's at taht rate... only when there's combat going on.  When the sparring stops, it goes up.  Odd.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51:54 am »

Turn temperature off, should really help. Or lower your graphical fps that also may help. There are loads of methods to maximize your framerate. :)
Also Killing Pit was intended as a target practice so using magma would remove it's value. Unless you mean as a clean up, than yeah it would be amazing.

sevenredreturns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »

hmmmm... Lava fueled cleanup of the practice pit... I like that.  I'm currently writing up an update.  It'll be about 4.5 hours until I get home from work though, and a little more time before I get all the pics uploaded.  I'm sorry for the obscenely long delay :(  I'm going as fast as I can but unfortunately I have some other committments (like... my job...)  that get in the way. 

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:20 pm »

Don't worry, real life is more important. :) I updated so often cause I have nothing better to do atm. :P

sevenredreturns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »

I'm just a mechanic. 

That's all I ever aspired to in my life.  Unfortunately in this hole in the ground, things have gone shaven beards and well now I seem to be in charge. 
I have a mate.  I've not seen them in years.  At least the last guy had some sense and started dragging this place into order.  He also seems to have left a to-do list a few miles long... if I can even put a full length to it.  It's more like notes hammered to walls.  Either way, they're notes, and they're a direction.  I'll have to go with that.  It doesn't hurt (or help...) that he seems to have left a lot of standing orders of cruft to finish.  I'll assume he had a reason for it, so I'll let it be for now.

There.  That seemed to quiet everyone slightlty.  I swear there's not a one of these I'd call a real dwarf.

There has GOT to be a more efficient way of doing things.

I'll shave them all for scarves.

sevenredreturns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2013, 02:33:21 am »

don't like double posting.  But I thought y'all would like a sneak preview of our NEW FRIEND.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2013, 02:33:52 am »

Oh what a delight, you are much better at writing than I am. Also I have already designated zone where the sand is, you can find smelters responsible for collecting it, and clay for that matter under F5, F6 or F7, i don't remember which one. Hold on I'll check....

It's F6, do not unsuspend those orders though, it stops it from being charged with managed orders. Also I use manager a lot, kind of in character I guess since my dwarf is a manager, and a bookkeeper. And let's not forget the Baron as well. I love when everything goes according to plan. :D

EDIT: And that is why I sealed of the caverns.

Also here is the Spin-off thread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:58:55 am by exodius1 »

blademan9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »

Can I join?
There is a massive magma snake moving in down stairs as well as a flood and a tunnel to hell also downstairs and you are worried about me putting my feet on the furniture.
GWG you are meant to be the sane one.
Just because the apocalypse is happening downstairs is no reason to abandon manners young wizard.

sevenredreturns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2013, 07:03:26 pm »

ooooo potential new blood....  :D

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »

Can I join?
You're in!

Also, I would appreciate it if more people would try to make Shakecloistered a community, with RP and maybe some journals.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2013, 06:47:46 am »

Aaah, a new Overseer! Lovely, Lovely. Hope you have fun.

Bsnott, I most likely will not RP here, I have my thread to take care of, still participating in Chaincraft and waiting for my turn in Mineforest. It really piles up.

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:21 am »

Aaah, a new Overseer! Lovely, Lovely. Hope you have fun.

Bsnott, I most likely will not RP here, I have my thread to take care of, still participating in Chaincraft and waiting for my turn in Mineforest. It really piles up.
That's fine, the spinoff is doing a lot of RP in itself ;)
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

sevenredreturns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2013, 10:40:30 am »

Alright.  Alright.  I think I've got a grip on things here.  at least slightly.  I'm being notified repeatedly of things that were finished at Exodius' request.  I'm not complaining about that, the sooner they get done his stuff - I KNOW ABOUT THE SAND!  Don't make me make you take a tour of the magma sea.

At least the people yelling me about iron are yelling about something I can actually deal with.  I really need to deal with the efficiency of this place.  That begins now.  There are also people yelling about some sort of skinless poisonous beast.  I checked the walls down there myself, and they are secure.

Spoiler: The poison (click to show/hide)

Step one:  No more of this lugging everything about by hand.  I know, I know, devices to aid us cost resources, but frankly, we're swimming in cruft after Exodius got the brilliant plan to buy an entire caravan on credit???  of course those will have to wait until the other forgework is done, unless I can step them up in production a bit.  I'm sure he won't mind.  I just... won't tell him.  Not that I can hide much from our bookkeeper but I can try.  At the very least making some barrows will hopefully increase our efficiency. 

Step one B: It's almost as if the storage plan, except for the kitchens, is "shove things wherever you can".  ... This needs to be fixed.  I can find some rhyme or reason but we have people working in extremely cluttered workshops which only makes them work slower.  On a hunch, I did see what was stored in our masons' shops.  Piles upon piles upon PILES of stone blocks.  HOW. More storage - PROPER storage.  Designating a stockpile JUST for the furniture now - currently the furniture is lumped in with blocks of stone?? Nobody can tell what's what.

Step two:  Minecart routes.  I'm not sure I want to put in tracks yet, those are a good way to get dwarves killed and I don't have enough of a grip on this forsaken hell hole (by Armok's beard, I've never seen dwarves move more slowly in my life!) to try adn get them made at the moment. I 'll settle for the carts.  That will at least let us move larger quantities of common goods.  I plan on using that at least for ores.  ((And may I not kill any dwarves with this.  However I saw this method and it seems safe enough...  seems.))

Step three:  Try to get a good supply of bins forged so we can shove stuff in them so it can stop lying around everywhere, cluttering the place up. 

Step four:  Stop people from needing to run forever and a day to get iron bars!  Actually that's going to become more of a priority or by my beard, I'll go mad.

Let's not even get into the hives the magma forges are giving me.  It's almost as if they were plopped down whever there was some magma!  I'll get our miners on helping me remedy this problem.  That'll notch in well with trying to improve the efficiency of our smelting.  Stopgap measure is adding another magma forge down there.

Step five: ... Do we even have any soap?!  Not that I need to be bathed oranything, but the hospital needs it.  If not...

Spoiler: Monkeys?! in MY farm?! (click to show/hide)

Of for the love of... What is it NOW?!  Someone's barking at me that they can't store something because there's monkeys.  I'm not kidding.  Monkeys.  That's about the time the screaming started, and before I really knew what was going on, those monkeys had killed someone.  I thought we had traps for...

WHY DID NOBODY PUT ANY TRAPS ON THE PATHWAY INTO ARE ARMOK BE DAMNED OUTPOST?!
((ooc:  I was actually wondering that, by the way.  I'm to blame too, not seeing the weakness))

Spoiler: Hastily placed traps (click to show/hide)

I hastily ordered some be put there but of course. the monkeys scared off those who were going to put them in place.  It didn't take long for me to turn the military loose on them.  Thankfully, the monkeys managed to not outrun all of them.  There are several dead monkeys now. though unfortunately, we lost a marksdwarf, one Thob.  I ordered him to be buried in his section of the catacombs - there was thankfully many glass coffins free (Glass is a rather good coffin material.  We can venerate our dead military, and more importantly, get a very good look at what killed them.) 

However, I think, related to this issue... well...

I engraved a slab to this weaver, because I have no idea where their body went because of course everyone here is too beardless to do a simple thing like KEEP TRACK OF CORPSES.  By Armok's hiruste <selection looks crossed out>  Things like that are what was killing morale before!  That and corpses laying in the hallways, rotting.

Things seem to have calmed down some.  There are some recovering in the hospital I didn't know we had upstairs.

Speaking of hospital, I had to corner Exodius and ask him if in the pile of cruft he ordered if he happened to get his hands on some soap.  ... Which is the point where he found me and told me WE MUST HAVE AN ANVIL.

It's like he's trying to run the fort from the shadows.  Besides... we... already have anvils? I think?  Unless he wants his own made out of silver in his room?  I might just do that. I at least did commission the anvil to be made. After I perhaps convince the military to take the occasional break in their training.  I admire their dedication, but the constant sparring is giving me a headache.  I really need to finish their barracks.

((OOC:  Honestly the constant sparring KILLS my fps.  I stopped the sparring, it jumped up from TWO to about 85.))

Beginning of summer note:  I understand how using blocks is far more efficient than using raw stone.  HOWEVER.

Do we really need so many?!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20