Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Error that keeps crashing the game  (Read 2762 times)

egatavay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Error that keeps crashing the game
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:40 am »

After searching the board and other posts I can't seem to find any information about this error:

*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction LANDMINE_TOXIC
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: WARPSTONE_SOLID
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction TURRET_WARPSTONE
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: WARPSTONE_SOLID

help? it keeps crashing the game.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Error that keeps crashing the game
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:04:07 pm »

This error occurs whenever you play with Harder Mining turned off, because that causes the material WARPSTONE_SOLID not to exist, and therefore these two reactions are impossible.

There are a couple ways to get rid of the error

(1) Play with harder mining on
(2) Play with harder mining off, but delete/comment out those two reactions from the reaction raws.  (ideally also comment them out from the entity raws, but not really needed).
(3) Play with harder mining off, *un-comment* those material so that it do exist.  If desired, change the occurence so that you don't actually get veins of warpstone.

I don't know that anything changed in this version, but in the past this error has existed for a while, but not cause any crashes or actual problems.  For this reason I *guess* that it is a coincidence and not the root cause of your crash, but I don't know how you came to that conclusion, maybe you are right.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:05:49 pm by smakemupagus »

egatavay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:09:20 pm »

well it is the only error that seems to pop up when it does crash, though it may have something to do with a thatchery or scriptorium as they are the last things i built or another cause. otherwise it is my only lead to the crashes

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:15:47 pm »

Not all errors lead to crashes, and not all crashes leave any trace in the error log, unfortunately.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:16:42 pm »

Stable warpstone doesn't actually make mining harder - it's the other varieties of warpstone that do that.  Just uncomment the stable warpstone and allow it to occur.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

egatavay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »

Not all errors lead to crashes, and not all crashes leave any trace in the error log, unfortunately.

yeah i am assuming this too, as it has crashed during world building too. so best assumption is that some event is causing the crash

egatavay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »

Stable warpstone doesn't actually make mining harder - it's the other varieties of warpstone that do that.  Just uncomment the stable warpstone and allow it to occur.

how would i go about doing that? or is as simple as removing the text from the file?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 01:37:23 pm »

-edit-

it's tricky because Harder Mining disables the whole file, not just the individual materials.  If you're not comfortable tinkering with raws I'm not sure this is the right solution.  I really don't think it's related to the crash anyway.  If you want to do the simplest possible raw tinkering to clear the error log, I suggest deleting the reactions, not adding the material.

Searching for: REACTION:LANDMINE_TOXIC
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\entity_default.txt(1353): [PERMITTED_REACTION:LANDMINE_TOXIC]
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(14566): [REACTION:LANDMINE_TOXIC]
Found 2 occurrence(s) in 2 file(s)

remove the one line in the entity and the whole reaction ("paragraph") in reaction

Searching for: REACTION:TURRET_WARPSTONE
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\entity_default.txt(1366): [PERMITTED_REACTION:TURRET_WARPSTONE]
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(14646): [REACTION:TURRET_WARPSTONE]

The above will clear your error log, I'll be surprised a bit if it fixes your crash though.  If you are experiencing crash only with Deep Drow in your world please see here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127247.msg4321577#msg4321577

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:43:38 pm by smakemupagus »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 01:39:36 pm »

how would i go about doing that? or is as simple as removing the text from the file?

Spoiler: Won't work (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Whoops, that's right, harder mining disables the whole file.  This won't do anything.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:44:14 pm by Brilliand »
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 01:48:43 pm »

That will also enable rockwraiths and metalwraiths, if I'm not mistaken.

egatavay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 02:07:47 pm »

-edit-

it's tricky because Harder Mining disables the whole file, not just the individual materials.  If you're not comfortable tinkering with raws I'm not sure this is the right solution.  I really don't think it's related to the crash anyway.  If you want to do the simplest possible raw tinkering to clear the error log, I suggest deleting the reactions, not adding the material.

Searching for: REACTION:LANDMINE_TOXIC
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\entity_default.txt(1353): [PERMITTED_REACTION:LANDMINE_TOXIC]
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(14566): [REACTION:LANDMINE_TOXIC]

remove the one line in the entity and the whole reaction ("paragraph") in reaction

Searching for: REACTION:TURRET_WARPSTONE
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\entity_default.txt(1366): [PERMITTED_REACTION:TURRET_WARPSTONE]
N:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF v3b\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(14646): [REACTION:TURRET_WARPSTONE]

The above will clear your error log, I'll be surprised a bit if it fixes your crash though.  If you are experiencing crash only with Deep Drow in your world please see here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127247.msg4321577#msg4321577

so going to quote this, it got fixed it seems. i went to that link and i guess it fixed it, didn't crash again

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 06:52:15 am »

What's crashing your game are evil drows. Its been discussed. Turn them off

egatavay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »

funny thing they are off from the beginning

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 01:46:27 pm »

funny thing they are off from the beginning
Ah alright then. Just figured it may well have been them. Disregard me :)