Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A little Laggy?  (Read 1390 times)

Sharpshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A little Laggy?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

could there be any processes that our computers are trying to block?
because anything my computer thinks might be bad means it takes 10,000 times as long for that process to go through.

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

I have a Core 2 duo e6600 and on my first couple levels I am completly lag free, played a level with both a volcanic vent,  and a rather high cliff and I am getting under 10 FPS,  I can only conclude that total area plays a huge factor (including how many Z levels it has to deal with.)

EDIT: re-made the map using the seed,  selected exact same area to center on but decreased the height of the area in question, kept the same width,  now runs  at 35 FPS, I think it will become an issue if the fort grows,  but for now I am leaving it.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Milaha ]

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 03:24:00 am »

Having similar issues. I keep restarting due to issues with pathing, performance, and otherwise.

(sigh) It's not exactly UT2007 here..

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 04:01:00 am »

I love the new release, but I'm having the same problem. Ground level is faster than I've ever seen DF run, but if I go underground at all, everything goes to hell on me.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

I haven't run on any sort of performance problems, running on AMD x2 3800+, on Ubuntu Linux and using DF through wine. There's a couple gigabytes of RAM, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

To test how far things can be pushed, I'm running a fort next to a volcano with full local area. The name of the fort, "Anuslobster," gives a pretty good idea how much it lags. There's about 20 pages of mobs in the wilderness.

Resuming from pause takes about a minute. Too bad it's so laggy - The map looks like the most interesting DF fort setting I've yet seen.

How can I see the current FPS in-game?

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by huhu:
<STRONG>How can I see the current FPS in-game?</STRONG>

In the init.txt file, set the "FPS" option to "YES".

(Regarding speed in general, setting G_FPS_CAP to a lower number can help a lot, too. I reduced mine to "5" and it sped the game up massively.)

Pages: 1 [2]