Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting a forum game  (Read 2433 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Starting a forum game
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:40:21 pm »

I have always wanted to make or run a game, and have been looking at the games and roleplaying forum with greedy, sinister eyes. I plan to start a sci-fi game in about 3 weeks (having to leave for two weeks in a few days). before that, though, have any of you more experienced bay12ers got an advice? i've written a program to randomly generate the numbers for damage, whether it hits, etc, but I would like to know if there are any particular pitfalls that may befall the unwary (ie me.)?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a forum game
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »

try not to make it too open ended. Or too linear. I made the former mistake with one of my games, where i didn't really give the players much direction and hoped Bay12 would come up with it's trademark crazy stuff. Didn't happen, because choice overload. But linear is boring unless it's pulled off right, so the balance is very important. Perhaps give the players a few 'sugested' choices each time - maybe in the form of crew members (if applicable) giving advice. Again, not really tried this route, so can't say for sure if it works.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »

I was thinking of them having the choice of several quests,as it were, each in it's own hub. Think like mass effect: Several main missions, but each main mission has little side parts. A central command can give them instructions and advice via their ship.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 03:49:09 pm »

Know what kind of game you're planning to run, and watch your time super carefully, because bookkeeping is perfectly happy to devour your life. Ensure that players will all have reasonable time frame actions if you're doing play by post. Keep players engaged but be prepared if someone drops off the face of the earth. (>.>) Probably best to keep the party reasonably small. Don't be discouraged when the expected and unexpected problems arrive.

That's what occurs to me off the top of my head, at least.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:58 pm »

always post a few small pointers of what to do next.
remember to fudge rolls if you have to.
keep a up to date copy of any stats on the front page and just add a link to that at the end of every turn.

have a few ways to nudge the plot along, crew members, orders from HQ, bad weather you name it
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:27:49 am »

I'm new to running my own forum game, so far I've just been throwing bad guys at them, while trying to put in small details to make them nervous and want to keep moving.
Such as gratuitous amounts of explosions.

And if a player just stops posting, do what I did.
Go to GreatWyrmGold's Delinquent player's thread, and ask the community what their character should do.

Of course, this usually ends up in the character blowing up in a massive fireball, but at least then they can't blame you.
Really, don't worry about it, just try to have fun.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:55:22 am »

FG&R would probably have better advice.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:04:26 am »

Yup, try gathering attention and players in the roller block/ Gamer's block thread. It's what those are used for anyway.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »

1. Don't go too big. More players means more work. You can always add players later a couple at a time if you think you can handle them - if your game is good then they'll hop on pretty quickly.

2. Don't feel like you need to prepare for everything. You're on a forum. You can take a day or two to deal with confusing situations, so don't pack your OP with every little detail of how the game is going to work. You'll just end up bogging yourself down and confusing your players.

3. Plan ahead. It looks like you're doing this. Of course, this isn't completely necessary, but the less of this you do, the more you'll have to...

4. Be flexible. If a player is doing something unexpected, take a little time to think up a good response. Not everything deserves one, but don't shut down your players every single time they try to do something outside of the box. Those kinds of players are the kind that will take you places you wouldn't go on your own.

5. Take advantage of the forum format. This might just be a little expansion to 2, but I think it's worth saying. If a player surprises you, you're not there in the room with them. You can pretend not to be surprised. You can think up a response that makes it look like you were planning for that all along. This can greatly increase immersion and reward creative players as much as you're rewarding the players who stick to the main story.
See, don't you feel clever?
The forum format also has some minor cool stuff like invisible text (highlight the line above this) that you can fiddle with for fun times. I'm not really sure how much you could take advantage of that sort of thing, but creativity is awesome and I bet someone could do some really cool stuff with it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »

I'm new to running my own forum game, so far I've just been throwing bad guys at them, while trying to put in small details to make them nervous and want to keep moving.
This makes us nervous?
My advice?
1. Don't go too big. More players means more work. You can always add players later a couple at a time if you think you can handle them - if your game is good then they'll hop on pretty quickly.

2. Don't feel like you need to prepare for everything. You're on a forum. You can take a day or two to deal with confusing situations, so don't pack your OP with every little detail of how the game is going to work. You'll just end up bogging yourself down and confusing your players.

3. Plan ahead. It looks like you're doing this. Of course, this isn't completely necessary, but the less of this you do, the more you'll have to...

4. Be flexible. If a player is doing something unexpected, take a little time to think up a good response. Not everything deserves one, but don't shut down your players every single time they try to do something outside of the box. Those kinds of players are the kind that will take you places you wouldn't go on your own.

5. Take advantage of the forum format. This might just be a little expansion to 2, but I think it's worth saying. If a player surprises you, you're not there in the room with them. You can pretend not to be surprised. You can think up a response that makes it look like you were planning for that all along. This can greatly increase immersion and reward creative players as much as you're rewarding the players who stick to the main story.
The forum format also has some minor cool stuff like invisible text (highlight the line above this) that you can fiddle with for fun times. I'm not really sure how much you could take advantage of that sort of thing, but creativity is awesome and I bet someone could do some really cool stuff with it.
This.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:22 am »

This makes us nervous?
My advice?

This.
Heh, I've actually put in a couple secret messages in the game I'm running, and both of them concern you, Xan. Try to find them.
The Derail Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »

Oh dear.
REREADING TIME
Sig! Onol

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 05:01:38 pm »

3b. Have your OP fully built and ready to go in a text file. Have your basic ruleset and character sheet prepared. Have at least the plot and encounters of the first mission/first dozen or so full updates before you post the thread. This is all a tremendous help in getting it off the ground quickly.

6. Don't be a dick. One of the things which will kill a game incredibly quickly is a GM that deliberately shits on their players for no good reason. Don't check to see if they fall over their feet when they walk or break their head open every time they climb a flight of stairs.

7. Be a dick. If a player is obviously trying to metagame or break the game in a boring way (especially one that harms the experience of other players), don't be afraid to shut them down. There can sometimes be a fine line between this and creative play, so it's up to you to judge. I typically go by a rule of thumb that states that anything that makes the game a better experience for everyone involved is both good and allowable. If someone's just spamming random crap in a non-freeform game, don't hesitate to give them the boot, particularly if it's annoying other players.

8. Don't be a dick (again). A GM should be willing to work with the players and compromise when necessary to resolve reasonable objections to things which were unclear, situations where the player had zero influence or control, etc.

9. Account for player actions. Have the world change, possibly in subtle ways that they will never notice, because of the actions they take. This is in no small part to provide fun for you.

10. Don't panic over a schedule. If you don't feel like updating, it's better to wait a bit than put out a crappy update. Don't try to set yourself to something like an update every day, just do what you feel comfortable with. It's supposed to be fun for everyone, the GM included.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »

Oh dear.
REREADING TIME
You want a hint?
The Derail Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:03:15 pm »

Oh dear.
REREADING TIME
You want a hint?
I'm a terrible rereader, so sure.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2