Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The most difficult, playable, succession game of DF imaginable (Players Needed)  (Read 4604 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

living entirely on hunting

Ho ho, that makes things so hard at least for a newbie like me. No elf-like farming - hunting, livestock, herbalism and trading only. Very doable still if you have a tree-farm where you can pick mushrooms, but... I wonder if with a civilization of dragons that can dig that idea is even survivable, even if you use all imaginable cheese.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

1)Besides just combat stuff there could be changes like harder farming or living entirely on hunting. Small changes that make the fort's survivability harder to manage. That would be better for a succession game than world ending changes like super-happy-burning-world or the most evil biome imaginable that has clouds of husking facemelting bees, methinks.

2)for added difficulty there could be traps built by past overseers to mess with future players, a la "Screw The Next Player Over" forts. Metagame challenge!

1) Exactly why the world generation will comprise of: Generate 100 year world (so most everything survives) and embark on the first site given.  Since stuff is going to be added in, then I can guarantee that suggested seeds will not show up the same way, so it is pointless to suggest, really.

2) That would make things interesting.  If someone who signs up suggests that, a sparkgear challenge, and Drunk Fortress for those who are over the age of 21, we will have the greatest chaos ever.  (note: I am only really wanting those who sign up to add the challenges, beasts, and civilizations.  That doesn't mean people cannot use suggestions by outside forumites, though. Really, if noone uses the challenges and I think they are good enough, then I'll add them in through my portion of the list.)

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Posting to watch...... and perhaps to steal the save...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn it. No modding fun without play? But this sounds like it could be so good.

Okay, put me up for a turn after Archmage. Expect me to die.

If it's fine with everybody, here's the challenge: carnivorous dwarves - never plants, meat only. No farming or herbalism ever, not a single farm plot goes down. I have some spare reactions and materials that make you able to brew meat and vermin instead for "blood wine", "fermented ichor" (invertebrates) and "mezcal" (vermin) at a very low ratio of 1:1 (compared to 1:5 for brewing plants). I'll also make a civilization out of those knights, except smaller. How does that sound?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want the most difficult succession game ever, do all the mods, then post an empty link to the save file.  Instead set up the link to a page where a phrase from somewhere in the entirety of the forums is the password.  Just to be fair, make an obscure reference to where the password is located in your sig (or not, if you want to be a complete wanker).

However, be sure to post screenshots of the completed world, an adventurer getting slaughtered by one of the megabeasts, ect... just to show everyone that if they can find the password, they get to set up even more fun.  Each turn, the latest player also sends you a pm with the new password location.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:21:56 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want the most difficult succession game ever, do all the mods, then post an empty link to the save file.  Instead set up the link to a page where a phrase from somewhere in the entirety of the forums is the password.  Just to be fair, make an obscure reference to where the password is located in your sig (or not, if you want to be a complete wanker).

However, be sure to post screenshots of the completed world, an adventurer getting slaughtered by one of the megabeasts, ect... just to show everyone that if they can find the password, they get to set up even more fun.  Each turn, the latest player also sends you a pm with the new password location.

Or just encrypt it with a very long passphrase after every turn, upload and then lose the passphrase every time. Now that's a hard succession game.

Maybe make it an actual succession game where you're only allowed to play once the previous player is dead.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Maybe make it an actual succession game where you're only allowed to play once the previous player is dead.

Something interesting I should note, one of the rules I add to the standard succession is that, if your dwarf dies, then your turn is instantly over.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile

I would like to contibrute but i haven't modded anything yet

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile

I have never modded anything ever either, but I guess this is as good a place as anywhere to start.

I got an idea for a mega-beast with a slightly unique twist in how its dangerous, inspired by the first forgotten beast I encountered.

And a entity inspired by the results of some raw duplication I did a while back that might provide their own kind of fun.

But how long do I have? I am on vacation and don't have access to my main computer before tomorrow, and I need at least a day to learn enough modding to do what I intend.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile

The problem with "making the most difficult game EVAR" is that it's a dull and empty task.

I can easily mod Dwarves to turn to gas at any temperature and instantly die. That would be the most difficult game ever, because there's literally no way to survive past the first few ticks. It's also no fun to play.

You can't just go for the modding route. Unique restrictions must be imposed on the players themselves, because otherwise, in order to make the challenge "unbreakable", you have to make it unwinnable.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

Maybe you give forumites too little credit. I think it's going to work because only players who play get to mod, so you don't want to make it not fun. Also suggestions like let's play Genesis could ruin it by overriding everyone's contribution. But so far the addons are pretty awesome.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile

Ideas:
- Pick an embark site with no river, and a 10z+ aquifer.
- No trees on site either.
- Forbid farming, but allow plants to be purchased.
- No jails, but have a captain of the guard: all crimes bear capital punishment.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

You can't just go for the modding route. Unique restrictions must be imposed on the players themselves, because otherwise, in order to make the challenge "unbreakable", you have to make it unwinnable.

*facepalm*

To make it the most difficult, you don't make it unbreakable or unwinnable.  You instead make it so that you can do well, but it is extremely hard to do so, but you can still make a successful fortress.

Oh, and your post seems to imply you missed the 'Challenges' portion of the OP.  May want to look over the OP again.

But how long do I have? I am on vacation and don't have access to my main computer before tomorrow, and I need at least a day to learn enough modding to do what I intend.

It starts when 10 people or more people sign-up.  Don't forget your additional challenge as well!

How does that sound?

!!Fun!!

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Venomous Goblins, anybody?
Of course, I'm a total noob when it comes to modding. In theory, goblins bite more or less like helmet snakes.
I'll take a turn, regardless.

EDIT:
Tested in arena, forgot to add fangs. Whoops. Fixed it now, here's a demo:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:40:53 pm by Bobnova »
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. Here's my complete contribution.

Knights, which includes both an entity, a creature for that entity and a megabeast:
Spoiler: entity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)

(cont'd...)

Edit: increased catapult body size. Relevant because catapults were getting killed off in worldgen due to being equipment-sized. Edit2 / so on: minor balance & appearance fixes due to me testing all this out and finding typos. Get the latest version before starting, but it's not that bad if you don't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3