Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do food and drink preferences affect choice?  (Read 1157 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do food and drink preferences affect choice?
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:41:51 pm »

Do dwarves actually seek out appropriate food and drink according to their preferences, if available?  Or do they just pick whatever is close by for a random chance at a preference happiness boost?  I searched on the forums, but the results were dominated by threads on the effect of preferences on strange moods and noble mandates.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do food and drink preferences affect choice?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »

I believe that there is a slight weighting given to preferred items when determining the closest food or drink. So short answer: yes. They're not likely to go too far out of the way for their favorites though.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:10 pm »

Cool, thanks!  I've finally gotten around to using DFHack's job item-material function.  The plan is to maintain set amounts of each type of booze with workflow, and maybe even adjust the ratio according to a quick survey of preferences in DT.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »

That's 4 underground plants, 11 above ground plants, and you can't forget mead. Gutter Cruor comes from Sliver Barb, which is only found in evil places, can't trade for it. And, you gotta have some trading partners for sun berry seeds.

Also note that the wiki says, "All dwarves have one favorite drink, selected at first randomly from all possible alcoholic beverages, but new types of booze may become preferred as they are discovered.".

I wish you much luck in your noble quest, brother.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »

They seem to completely ignore it. I had sent a military dwarf to deal with a prisoner but she wanted a drink first. Beelined towards a specific barrel.

She liked prickle berry wine so I figured "that's gotta be prickle berry wine". Nope, river spirits. And it's not as we'd ever run out of prickle berry wine.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)