Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521221 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1020 on: November 03, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »

... y'know, just to check, that innate spellcaster (2) (or 3, in the case of the hero) means what I think it means, right? Multiple spellcasts per round?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 03, 2014, 07:07:42 pm »

... y'know, just to check, that innate spellcaster (2) (or 3, in the case of the hero) means what I think it means, right? Multiple spellcasts per round?

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 03, 2014, 08:05:03 pm »

Yeah, having seen it in practice now... kinda' neat. Mostly useless, due to fatigue issues, but neat. Interesting you can effectively turn your coyas/sun kings (or whatever those things were) into two casters just by killing them, but the freakishly huge upkeep makes me wonder if it wouldn't be more cost efficient to just buy another critter, instead.

Also worth noting you should never buy the full 850 critters if you're aiming for cost efficiency. Just have a couple in waiting when one of 'em keels over. Major cost reduction, that.

The ghost caelum are kinda' cruddy, though. I mean, yeah, they're sacred ethereal fliers, but they've got most of the same problems lemuria does. Kinda' easy to kill, not very damaging... they're sacred, and huge swaths of sacreds have their place, but they're also, y'know. Sacred chaff. I guess a flagellant bless, maybe?

Neat but junky honestly seems to sum up a lot of Na-whatever's lineup, at first blush :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »

I think the place where the mummies would really shine is if they get a pile of indy communion slaves (seeing how Nazca has no great ones of their own).

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 04, 2014, 09:43:34 am »

So i was toying with some thoughts of making an overhaul mod to the game, a post-apocalyptic game about managing your survivors and resources to achieve victory.The game can take place in the dominions world (with dominions races) or in the "real" world with only humans and modern technology..

This mod is not comeplety possible at this moment, since the game is not 100% moddable, but it's a fun idea i was toying around with.

So the game will go like this:

Pretender

The pretender in this game is your main survivor, he is a normal survivor like any other you'll meet in the game, he/she dont hold any extreme significance, and losing him could be a bummer, but wont lose your game. Needless to say he can't be resurrected by prayers.Units and heroes All survivor units are heroes, able to hold equipment, follow orders and gain experience, regular units are mostly used for random monsters, undead, animals and mutants.
Survivors come with different sprites and stats depending on their backgrounds, but are mainly customizable with equipment. All survivors should have stealth (with varying chance of success Units can also be robots, drones, turrets, barricades, and other automatic or controllable things.

Gems

Gems would be changed into resources, things like metal, wood, stone. In a modern setting there can also be rubber, electronics, fuel etc'.Food might be handeld as a resource or as it's currently handeld.

Magic Sites

Magic sites will work in such a way that they need to be operated by a survivor to generate resources, some may work like the laboratory and allow the crafting of items and casting for "rituals".Each region will have servel magic sites, almost all of the will be immediately visible, with only rare ones being hidden, regions will mostly make 0 food and will requiere working of magic sites.

Magic Paths

Magic paths will become skills, they dont have any connection to their respective resources.
They can be stuff like this:
Medical - preform treatments and surgeries.
Fabrication - create items.
Construction - create buildings, barricades and traps. Gives you "Fast Assemble" (leadership type) that allows you to setup barricades and traps before battle.
Electronics - advanced items and robotics.Gives you "Robot leadership" that allows you to control robots and turrets at battle.
Farming/Hunting/Scavenging, will mostly affect how well you use certain sites?
There might also be combat skills, since magic paths have passive combat bonuses.

Magic Rituals

This is a tough one, since im not sure how research should function (maybe just start at max?), but servel uses for magic rituals might be:
Construction of buildings with resources.
"Summoning" of inanimate objects, like barricades and traps that can be placed on the battlefield (but of course have 0 move so they cant move on the map). 
Medical treatment, Preforming surgeries, cybernetic implants, etc.
Construction of robots, drones and turrets, or maybe just fixing broken ones that you can find.
Construction of viehcels, not sure how these are going to work.

Some rituals will of course require servel magic paths, but should be doable with teamwork of servel survivors.

Curses

With some changes curses might change to radiation poisoning.
Radiation may cause negative and positive mutations?

Independent Armies

Indies will be regions filled with zombies, monsters and mutants, some of them would be hero monsters that hold items (So we can loot them!).

Other Stuff:

I'm not sure what kind of use the "resources" in the game might have, also gold (might be used as food?).
Skill leveling should probably have some other way of happening instead of a big sacrifice of resources (also, it would make us attach a resource to each skill, which might suck).
New survivors might join you through random events, Some kind of "Search for survivors" action that your survivors can take (or a magic ritual?), and maybe even pregnancy?

Game Flow

The game will play like this: you will need to manage what each of your survivors do, how to best manage their skills, your resources and items. Radiation, hunger, increase in population and increasing enemy threats will force you to move, conquer regions and adept.
Combat arrangement will see you position and give orders to every survivor, positioning barricades and mourning every death.
In multiplayer aggression between players may rise, but trading of items and resources might be critical for survival.

So what do you guys think? Would it be fun? Would it be possible in the future? Have any cool ideas to add to that thing?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »

Modding doesn't support this level of change ATM. You can't change the names of gems, paths, or other fundamentals w/o hacking the executable. A lot of what you mention could be done now that we have event modding, but overall it's still more ambitious than what's possible.

It'd also be a TON of work.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:34 pm »

Gamersgate got the 4.14 patch some time today, so I can finally download and see what all this hubbub about new nations is about.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 04, 2014, 07:43:17 pm »

I am very excited to try out EA Xibalba. Recruitable Onaqui look very fun, their magic diversity seems decent (recruit-everywhere fire/blood crosspaths for Jaguar Fiends!) and Zotzes open up interesting strategic and tactical options. They're probably the best of the new nations.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:49 am »

I am getting used to races with powerful units (I blame uber scorpions from NationGen), so I can't really play correctly as Xibalba. I cringe each time I loose more than 1 zotz, and god know that's often :/

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 05, 2014, 08:34:47 am »

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to happen though. The Zotz are some of the chaffiest chaff to exist in the game, and while they have good alpha-strike capabilities... They obviously can't take a hit. Which is perfectly fine though, since you're going to be summoning demons to replace them soon enough. Plus the big scorpions are somewhat more tougher than your average bat, though that's not saying much...

Personally I'm more annoyed that Beast Bats are such terrible units. Maybe it's because I'm not using the best bless for them, but they always seem to get splattered the moment after they get into combat. Which is a shame because I was experimenting with recruiting only Onaqui, so that I could get tons of them as freespawn and try to conquer the world that way. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work out.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 05, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »

Plus the big scorpions are somewhat more tougher than your average bat, though that's not saying much...

Ah, but the biggest scorpions are tanky sacred monstrosities which are unlike anything else in Xibalba's lineup. Yes, they're a mage-turn each to summon, but Xibalba has would-be summoners as foreign recruits, so that's not such an issue.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 05, 2014, 02:50:01 pm »

I'm pumped about all of the new nations. The reanimates that Nazca gets (at H3+) are delicious -- sacred, ethereal, defence 16 magic-weapon wielding terrors. Then again, they suffer from having their damage being reliant on MR being penetrated. Still, I really like it. I would like to try them out in a game soon. Xibalba, too, is awesome, I am very happy with all the recent new nations.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:53:17 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 05, 2014, 02:58:42 pm »

Ah, but the biggest scorpions are tanky sacred monstrosities which are unlike anything else in Xibalba's lineup. Yes, they're a mage-turn each to summon, but Xibalba has would-be summoners as foreign recruits, so that's not such an issue.

Oh, definitely. The only problem is that you can't really get them for expansion, since they're at Conj 3 and it takes too long to get that far up in research. Or something like that. The problems I'm having with Xibalba are more to do with expansion than anything else. They have excellent blood hunters and can summon up hordes of sacred demons in the late game, but getting there is proving to be a bit of a pain.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 05, 2014, 03:38:53 pm »

The reanimates that Nazca gets (at H3+) are delicious -- sacred, ethereal, defence 16 magic-weapon wielding terrors. Then again, they suffer from having their damage being reliant on MR being penetrated.

I've heard F9 touted (and described as successfully tested in early blitzes) as a very effective means of overcoming that shortcoming.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 08, 2014, 07:30:28 pm »

The reanimates that Nazca gets (at H3+) are delicious -- sacred, ethereal, defence 16 magic-weapon wielding terrors. Then again, they suffer from having their damage being reliant on MR being penetrated.

I've heard F9 touted (and described as successfully tested in early blitzes) as a very effective means of overcoming that shortcoming.

2/3 of F9, W9 and S9 are what I've seen from them in blitzes.  They're up to 4/4 relying on that.  Antimgic is nice, but only reduces efficacy by about 60%, which is not always enough, especially considering how hard it is to tie up fliers with great morale, and how hard it is to hit high-defense nonfatiguing ethereal troops.

EA/LA Xibalba expansion is fantastic.  You lose about 5 zotz/province, which is like 35 gold, and if you capture forests or caves you can basically double the number of expansion armies per turn.  Flying helps.  And sacreds hit hard enough to clear armored provinces.

Also, stopping in to drop off this survey on overall nation strength, since there are plenty of people here who don't really frequent desura:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NqWCD3hoDWFZQ5d7QXRNlHAOSYQDSPd7yQEiH9u00xk/viewform?usp=send_form
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 236