Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520445 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2013, 12:01:26 pm »

I would definitely buy this if I had 40$ to blow. Sadly I do not. As awesome as Dom games are they are SO overpriced. Definitely a 30$ or less game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2013, 12:24:59 pm »

S'pretty likely to actually go on sale in a comparatively short period, this time. Ever since the Dominions folks separated from their previous publishers, pricing's become a lot more bearable. Think I got Dom3 for... 8 bucks? Something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2013, 01:22:01 pm »

It's actually running rather well for a beta.  Already ran into a few crashes during turn processing, but I'm not finding anything rather seriously flawed about that; thanks to how the game manages saves, it always saves before beginning turn processing, which lets you just go right back into the game and continue with no issues.  I wonder what's causing it, though; it feels like that one will be a pain to reproduce if it's tied to the AI acting in a particular way. 

As for myself, I forgot how bad I was at this game; I'm actually losing to the Normal AI.  It's not that the AI is much better (though it does seem to be a touch smarter), it's just that I'm that bad.  <_<

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2013, 03:05:03 pm »

Played two games today without crashes so far.

I like the game, but it feels very similar to the third game, hopefully they keep updating it after the release like last time. The thrones and team-stuff is interesting.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2013, 03:13:12 pm »

I kinda miss my MA "Alive but still kinda undead" Ermor.
They're called Sceleria now.

Oh hey, thanks. I started playing at like 3am last night and barely had to time to read through the nations.

Really digging the new music. Bums me out they didn't make the soundtrack available, I'd like to throw these tracks in with my other mega Dominions playlist.

The game isn't much different than Dom 3 (has all the same music from the previous one, except maybe some battle music), but I do appreciate the improvements I'm seeing. Little things like, being able to see a list of Pretenders you've created in each era for what nations. Magic paths shown on the unit tile on the map view. I was hoping the map generator had improved from creating landforms a little more reliably, but it's still pretty random (and still takes at least 2 to 3 minutes to generate at map the size of Glory of the Gods.) But there's a couple new variables in there, wrapping worlds, ect...

As for myself, I forgot how bad I was at this game; I'm actually losing to the Normal AI.  It's not that the AI is much better (though it does seem to be a touch smarter), it's just that I'm that bad.  <_<

This is why I play easy against the AI. They're slow enough I can take my time, expand at my pace, not have to risk good armies to rush across the map. At least in Dom 4 you have a prayer of keeping up with the AI in terms of unit production. (Although getting those units where they need to go is still an issue.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:25:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2013, 10:35:10 pm »

What with leadership giving morale bonuses now, national commanders that aren't mages are slightly more useful. I'm not sure how viable those "slow to recruit" ubermages will be though.

It's not just that the better leaders give morale boosts; they also let you have more squads w/o incurring penalties. Still, I rarely want more than 2 squads if I've only got 40 or 50 troops. I suppose the real advantage to national leaders is not having a net morale penalty when using the more ergonomic squad configurations for troops without Formation.

Plus, for some nations it's a total non-issue. Say, e.g., you're LA T'ien Ch'i and don't wanna waste a fort turn to get that sweet, sweet 120 troop/4 squad/+2 morale leadership from a Khan? No problem. Khans and non-sacred cavalry are recruit anywhere now. Although that means that no one but someone down to their last 85 gold will ever buy a General. I've probably missed some of the terrain-specific ones, but here's a rough list of non-fort recruits, some of which can't be built in forts:

Spoiler: Early Era (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Middle Era (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Late Era (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2013, 02:17:12 am »

I'm really digging the random events. It's not too much different than Dom 3, but with a well rounded Province defense everywhere, lots of events pop up that get stopped before they happen. The narrative goodness of Dom 3 has just been further improved on.

Seems like they nerfed the shit out of Dom 3's frailty rates. Playing MA Ermor I was used to half of my starting Grand Thaumaturgs not going more than 2 years before rotting apart. I'm on Year 6 with MA Sceleria and I've had one guy who caught a disease and died of from it. (And who didn't resurrect with Twiceborn, grrr, he was a Hero!)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:02 am »

Pardon me for what may be an insultingly obvious question, but is your dominion high +Growth?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:19 am »

I think +1?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:27 am »

HOLY HECK, Arco's Hoplite line formations are insanely strong! Plus the fact they don't suffer a morale penalty is great too!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »

I think +1?

Any positive Growth at all makes a huge difference in limiting deaths from old age.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2013, 03:55:07 pm »

I think +1?

Any positive Growth at all makes a huge difference in limiting deaths from old age.

It was typically what I ran in Dom3 as well. So that's why I was wondering if anything changed.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »

Sooo...I kinda sorta had a little tiny bit of free time on my hands, and since I noticed that some of the maps weren't really set up to use the lovely new variable-passage terrain connection features (specifically, mountain passes and rivers), I went and started adding in these connections to the Glory of the Gods.  It seems like rather a waste to keep it to myself, for all that it generally makes for a very chokepoint-heavy map, but I'm not really sure where to post it, though.  It's not really like Illwinter has an official forum that I've ever been able to find.  So, I think posting it here is just fine.  Just drop it right in your maps subdirectory if you're interested. ^_^

Notes:
1. Rather more chokepoint-heavy - bridges to cross rivers become rather important, as do a handful of very large passes that are open year-round. 
2. I tried to make every provinces accessible year-round from at least one path; hence why a few rivers and passes are still passable.
3. Provinces that occupy major passes (rather than connections across the passes) were connected to one side or the other based more or less on whim.

Feel free to post thoughts and fixes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:36:12 pm by Culise »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:25 pm »

Per KO (over on the Desura forum), that's an error they thought they'd already fixed (see e.g., the multiplayer version of Glory). There'll probably be a rivered/passed version of single-player Glory in the stock version of the game within the next patch or so.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the heads-up; I had just assumed they were too busy getting the actual core game stable and ready to worry about fairly minor features like one or two specific maps until the last couple beta versionsbefore release.  It seems it'll be ready sooner, then. ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 236