Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521246 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1290 on: March 29, 2015, 03:47:26 pm »

If you have both on one mage, casting Naiad Warriors is pretty fun.

Speaking of those crosspaths, Bone melter (W3N2, AoE1) and Liquify (W4, AoE3) are both pretty fun spells if you can pull them off. MR-negates instakill spells. Between high path requirements and alt-5/8 means you won't be casting them often, but instakilling is always fun when you can manage it.

And Naiad warriors are probably one of the better summons when it comes to cost efficiency and actual performance. Decent gear, awe, mage-turn efficient, can't complain about them.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 30, 2015, 01:38:37 am »

So, new question.

I've got MA Tien Chi running a communion strategy to get up to E3 and cast a big battlefield buff or debuff.  This isn't my only strategy of course, but its my rush to get some combat support up.

So the way I look at it I've got two potential targets for my early research: Construction 4 and Alteration 4.  Alteration gets me Curse of Stones, Destruction, and it also opens the way to some higher level spells I really want.  Construction, on the other hand, will let me build Earth Boots, which lets me communion with less mages, but all it will get me in combat is Legions of Steel.  Which... still seems pretty kick ass.  It also of course gets me a bunch of great items and would let me kit out a titan pretender into an SC.

So, which should I go after first?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:59 am »

I've never played Tien Chi, but...

Legions of Steel can boost your regular troops' armor a bit (+3 per armor piece, reportedly, but it targets commanders with an AOE, rather than targeting troops, so you may have issues getting it to actually hit your troops but can potentially solve them either by embedding your mages or embedding dummy commanders for your mages to target). (I don't know if the other aoe spells work the same way, but should probably find out, heh.)

If you go for alteration you eventually hit Iron Warriors (Alteration 5), which sounds much better than Legions of Steel but gives your troops an elemental weakness that your enemies could potentially take advantage of (extra damage from lightning). You can, however, combine it with legions of steel. You also get Marble Warriors at Alt 7, which is stronger, and has a different elemental weakness (extra damage from cold).

Curse of Stones was unimpressive when I tried it (too slow to be useful, considering how fast the killing happens). Destruction's potentially useful, but it won't work on anything with magical armor, which means it's useless against SCs and the various summoned troops etc which come with magic gear. Same for the one-person variant of the spell with the confusing name... Armor of Achilles? Yes. You'd think that would make you invulnerable except for your heel, but nooooo.  :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:17:14 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 30, 2015, 03:22:45 am »

I wish I had the amount of free time to get really good at Dom4 and play Multiplayer games again, which are great even when failing around.

Mostly I struggle with finding a good early game, to setup the late game. It's just - build any big unit with trample or high protection, fill with smaller units incase its a "big-size" unit and always use the commander slot to build something, repeat and conquer... yet it feels to slow unless I play pangeaa and just punch face.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 30, 2015, 04:09:11 am »

Large armies of longbowmen or crossbowmen work well too, and some nations have decent national archers (rather than needing to find indie ones). MA Marignon, for instance, has their own crossbowmen.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:21 am »

-snip-

Actually, if I remember correctly, magical armour only refers to the stuff that you need to forge gems for. In other words, any unit with armour can have it be destroyed with Destruction. Even summoned units. Though I don't remember Destruction having a large AoE so spamming it might not be the best idea. This is all going off of memory though.

-snip-

Nothing wrong with always playing a nation that you like and are good with.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:24 am »

I'm fairly sure Legions of Steel targeting was fixed within the last few patches, but I couldn't find any mention of it during a quick googling.

So, new question.

I've got MA Tien Chi running a communion strategy to get up to E3 and cast a big battlefield buff or debuff.  This isn't my only strategy of course, but its my rush to get some combat support up.

So the way I look at it I've got two potential targets for my early research: Construction 4 and Alteration 4.  Alteration gets me Curse of Stones, Destruction, and it also opens the way to some higher level spells I really want.  Construction, on the other hand, will let me build Earth Boots, which lets me communion with less mages, but all it will get me in combat is Legions of Steel.  Which... still seems pretty kick ass.  It also of course gets me a bunch of great items and would let me kit out a titan pretender into an SC.

So, which should I go after first?

I wouldn't go for earth boots until you actually have something worth casting. Legions of Steel is certainly a nice troop buff, but I'd prefer more casting options for my E mages. Ench-3 for Strength of Giants, Evoc-4/5 for Blade Wind, Gifts from Heaven, Earthquake, Alt-4/5 for the (de)buffs and Maws of the Earth. And perhaps Conj-3 for Summon Earthpower and lesser elementals, SEP is less research than boots at the expense of a combat turn it takes to be cast.

In general I go for construction as my third or fourth school, so I might be a tad blind to the opportunities to be had there early. I'd probably go for either alt or ench first (with thau-1 of course) if playing MA T'ien Ch'i, then follow up with alt/ench or conj. I haven't played or tested much MA TC though.

edit:
Destruction may or may not be best against SC's, but it's great for fighting heavily armoured nations like Ulm, Abysia or any of the giants. And you're lot more likely to see troops rather than SC's, especially early on.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:46:03 am by Delta Foxtrot »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 30, 2015, 07:55:03 am »

And still about Destruction, I read about summoned units that won't have their basic armor destroyed by it, because they're summoned with a "magical" armor (even if it's not a slot item.
There may not be many, but they exist.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:55 am »

-snip-

Nothing wrong with always playing a nation that you like and are good with.

Oh I love Ry'leh, but it seems everyone does and it rarly free in Multiplayer games and more of a lategame-nation anyway - which is a bit of a issue since most "other" water nations win the water war... or at least against me. I do love there sneakyness and the ability to sell my mind-attacks to players for a few more rounds of having my peace.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:30 pm »

I'm fairly sure Legions of Steel targeting was fixed within the last few patches, but I couldn't find any mention of it during a quick googling.

The patch notes are indeed mum on this subject, but a quick test will show that LoS has finally discarded its legacy Dom1 targeting mechanisms and at long last targets units like every other spell.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:52 am »

So it turns out if you use #clearallspells in a mod, the game crashes during turn resolution.  Does anyone know why?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 05, 2015, 11:25:47 am »

What's the nagot gik fel message? My first thought is that there are AI players who are trying to cast spells that don't exist.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 05, 2015, 12:08:52 pm »

What's the nagot gik fel message? My first thought is that there are AI players who are trying to cast spells that don't exist.

"Pointless spellfx"

Edit: The mystery deepens.  I tried adding #clearallspells to an otherwise empty mod as a test, and... nothing happened.  All the old spells were there.

Then I started adding it to legit mods I had already downloaded, and got the same "Pointless spellfx" error.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:45:34 pm by EnigmaticHat »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 13, 2015, 08:58:06 pm »

So, trying out MA Jotunheim.  If I want to dip into blood, how important is it to go construction 4 first to get SDRs?  Considering that I have some use for construction anyway.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 13, 2015, 09:08:32 pm »

I rush out the Sanguine Dowsing Rods even when I'm playing Mictlan. :D. Honestly, I'd say it depends on how heavily you want to invest in blood (sorry for the non-answer). Your only real option for blood-hunting is the slow-to-recruit Skratti, but a mid-game nation could easily spare 3 or 4 of those guys to generate slaves. If you want to really build a blood economy though, with armies of frost demons and whatnot, then getting the access to the dowsing rod is pretty critical.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 236