Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517535 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1380 on: July 05, 2015, 10:13:33 pm »

hah, wasn't expecting that Il. I've a question though. how to best defeat elephants?
As usual, "depends".

They have bad MR and morale, so you can try to use fascinate or panic or something to exploit that.  "Resist or die" effects like Bone Melter or Soul Slay also work but they're not very available.  You can increase the size of your troops or bring in a thug with an amulet of the giant, to prevent the trampling.  Or an innate size 6 unit.

Prison of Fire/Earth Meld/False Fetters are the best anti-trampler spells. If they can't move they can't attack. I think beating Prison of Fire is a morale check, so that makes it well suited to elephants in particular.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 05, 2015, 11:57:18 pm »

Thanks guys. Things i knew like cost effective mages, but some I didn't, like, I thought forts were only one tile pulling, not more.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 09, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »

So, I've begun work on a lightly-scripted scenario I call The Fall of Ermor.  Its set in between the Early Age and Middle Age, in which Ermor is a dominant empire.

Here's a very early screenshot, everything being a work in progress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All of the nations (a few of which I haven't added yet) have scripted starts, except Pelagia which I added so I could have everyone else in a single team.  ALMOST everyone is on a team against Ermor, but there are two exceptions.  Most of the factions will have some kind of new feature.  For example Oceania is supposed to be able to recruit all of Pangaea's units except the Pan in this scenario, but my attempt to make that happen didn't work because of the way the modded recruitment commands work (or, more accurately, don't) for underwater nations.  I have a plan around that but it will be very tedious.

Anyway, in addition to the scripted starts everyone will come equipped with a full complement of mages and armies.  Some of these will be refugee armies from nations that are destroyed.  There will also be sites that allow for recruitment from nations otherwise not in the scenario, for example Ermor will be able to recruit auxiliaries from nations that it conquered before the start.

Its very incomplete, I'm only posting this so that I'll be motivated to finish  ;D
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 11, 2015, 04:29:56 pm »

Dominions SP is rather quite like masturbation. It's got some potential for fun, and nothing wrong with that. But complaining that the toy is not ideally suited to what you're using it for is somewhat missing the intentions behind the design.

An interesting analogy there! ;)

So is your point that the game is designed to be an exclusively MP game? If so, perhaps I chose the wrong game, period.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 11, 2015, 05:37:23 pm »

It's not meant to be exclusively MP. It's just that SP is very, very different, and for most people not nearly as satisfying due to the staggering depth of options that the AI will never explore (though it's much better than it used to be). SP is entertaining in its own way, but it's really kinda flat, whereas MP is multi-layered as can be.

There are ways to spice up your SP if you're really stagnating - e.g., if I may blatantly semi-self-promote, the NationGen meta-mod procedurally one or more random nation (to include custom unit graphics) that you can play with in addition to/instead of the stock nations. Current version is 0.5.0.11E, but 0.6.0 is due out in the next couple of days.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:17 pm »

For most games, people who play a lot of MP tend to prefer human opponents over AI. Dominions is no exception. That doesn't really mean that Dominions is a bad game for SP.

Unsurprisingly, many of the posters here (Il Palazzo included) are a common sight in Bay12 Dominions MP matches.

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 11, 2015, 06:43:54 pm »

For most games, people who play a lot of MP tend to prefer human opponents over AI. Dominions is no exception. That doesn't really mean that Dominions is a bad game for SP.

Unsurprisingly, many of the posters here (Il Palazzo included) are a common sight in Bay12 Dominions MP matches.

I get that, but MP games are difficult to arrange and time-consuming. And I can imagine even more so for Dominions, since it has to be done via PBEM.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 11, 2015, 06:51:36 pm »

It doesn't have to be done by email. You can do direct connect to a server, and there are MP communities (forex /domg/, IIRC) that do blitz games of this sort as a preference.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 11, 2015, 06:52:44 pm »

Weeeellll... sorta? It doesn't have to be PBEM -- you can hotseat, and from what I understand there's some kind of server thing that may just be PBEM on a very short timer or somethin'.

It's just that due to the scale of the games almost no one has the actual time to sit down and play through a game in one go, and even massively accelerated, multi-turn/day games still can last over a week. Sometimes the games can be over quick if people are playing hyper-aggressive, but that can be pretty difficult against humans.

and ninja'd while typing, but whatever posting away!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 12, 2015, 07:43:31 am »

I've head that /v/anheim is a good place to get blitzes:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

You can get one done in an afternoon, though the length of that afternoon will depend on player count and game settings.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 13, 2015, 12:01:23 am »

So, anyone know how to make an event occur the very turn that the game starts?  I can get them reliably appearing the turn after, but it doesn't seem to even try to run events the first turn.  (this is via modding of course)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 13, 2015, 11:48:26 am »

Reasonably certain it can't be done.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:45 pm »

So, I've been working under the impression this entire time that mindless units don't count for much when it comes to breaking down gates, but apparently that only effects the defense?  Would have been nice to know for my Sauromatia game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 14, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »

Yep, they're full strength for attacking but 1/10th for defending.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:13 am »

It's time for an Illwinter hate post.

I wish developers played their own stupid games. They'd be able to answer some long-standing questions, such as "why do I have to pay for imaginary barding? What's the point all of the awful summons? Fire magic? Non-blood nations?" Some of these make a player feel like the game is still balanced around Dom3's gemgen economy and higher site frequency. I'd give you a list of all of the terrible summons in this game, but I'd generally just list all of the generics with the exceptions of worms that walk and blood summons.

Astral corruption is actually a very slight symptom of how strong blood magic is in long games. You can expect the best blood power to win any game that is drawn out past turn 60 on the back of horror artillery, storm demon attacks and vampire defenses. My multiplayer strategy has lately revolved around playing stealth-blood nations with very light blood access and/or a blood and death pretender for vampire lord cheese. This is partly due to the always-kill blood first meta in my Dom4 community and partly due to the awesomeness of the vampire lord defense against unsuspecting players.

I'm currently nearing turn 70 in a multiplayer game in which I'm the only blood power. I have an income of >250 slaves per turn and I can effectively summon more demons and vampires in a year than other nations have troops. This is generally what my opponents have come to expect to hit them ten times a turn:

This is supplemented by 4 horror mailers and arbitrarily many lesser horror casters to keep the riffraff in check. Can you imagine any way of fighting this off as a nation without access to blood magic? What about a very real scenario where one of these armies is made every 2 turns?

Bonus: Can you vampire count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuToD507jPA
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 236