Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520791 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1395 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:16 pm »

So correct me if I'm wrong, but your strategy is:

A. Research up to Blood 7
B. Pretender summons vampire lord
C. Vampire lord blood hunts and summons more vampire lords
D. Build a whole blood economy off of that

Not going anywhere with that, just wondering.  Also, do you play on easy research?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 15, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »

Actually, they're playing Bogarus, so they have native blood hunters/casters. E.g., one assumes the Storm Demon spam is from Starets.

I'd be inclined to wonder about settings, too, though. This strategy as described seems an awful lot like "All I have to do is have everything in my master plan fall into place without any opposition or setbacks, and I cannot fail!"

I really don't see the current summons situation as being reflective of *cringe* Dom3 endgames, either. Like, not even a little. YMMV, I suppose.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 15, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »

My strategy is to fight normal wars and turtle bitterly with defensive traps. Then take the game home in the late game.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 15, 2015, 04:19:55 pm »

I for one know nothing about Bogarus, on account of never playing LA.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 16, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »

ok, so. the front end to the map generator isn't working for me on my lappy. keeps generating over and over and never saves anything..
Any suggestions to fix this, or alternatives? I don't much like the build in generator, and finding new maps on the fourms gets tedious.. am I sol?

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 18, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »

VICTORY!!

For the first time, I read the victory message! I'm proud of MA-Arcos and our God!

I want to dedicate this victory to Blaze and Shadowlord (because... reasons.)
p.s. loved the victory message, so well written and so immersive.

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 18, 2015, 06:31:37 pm »

Congrats!  :)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 06, 2015, 11:01:57 pm »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 06, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »

I... actually have a modded in musket unit on my laptop.  With a really shitty sprite and a gun sound off the internet.

I have a lot of aborted mods for Dominions that I barely started.  I was working on a Pokemon mod for a bit.  And writing python code to generate random spells.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 06, 2015, 11:49:54 pm »

Those sound cool

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 07, 2015, 12:15:03 am »

Both of them collapsed do to being overcomplicated and underplanned.

One thing I will say is: modding Pokemon in is SUPER easy, as long as you're willing to go through the work of modding a lot of them.  Go to bulbapedia, grab the best looking small sprite that looks like its facing to the side, or the large sprite if its a large Pokemon.  If you think its medium sized take the small sprite and double its size, if its super large take the large sprite and double its size (do this by copying it into paint, because paint is so simple it lets you just double an image turning each pixel into four pixels if that makes sense).  Then open the file in paint.net, size it to the smallest multiple of 32x32 that will fit, and save it as a .tga.  Then, and this is the part I'm really proud of, open it again, move the sprite a few pixels forward, and save it with a 2 on the end.  That's now its attack and casting sprite :P

Where I got lost was trying to add in evolutions, type matchups, complicated shit like that.  It became clear early on that I would run out of separate mechanics for all of the different damage types, I only managed to do like half of the matchups.  And of course even though an individual Pokemon can be modded in in like twenty minutes if you're in your stride, that's still a lot of Pokemon...  If I had to do it again I would add in humans to have a baseline, and then give each pokemon the power level it would logically have (so caterpies are borderline helpless, Onix is an unstoppable killing machine).  Evolutions could be done but type matchups were a bad idea.  I'm not sure how I would handle spells and items; I had ideas in the original but they were ultra ambitious.

The random spell generator was much the same.  I had a strong core system: each spell in Dominions can be reduced into form, effect, and modifiers.  So form would be like touch spell, aoe ranged spell, ect. and then within that there were things like precision, ect.  Effect is what it does, within that there are things like damage value, number of effects, that kind of thing.  Modifiers is random things like can only be cast in a forest, only hurts magic creatures, ect.  Each of these has an individual power number, which gets multiplied together somehow (not sure on what the formula would be) to produce an overall spell power.  This gets randomly spent increasing fatigue (which is actually the determining factor for gem cost), research cost, and paths.  Even wildly disparate spells like summoning or buff can fall under the form/effect/modifier system; for example summoning the form would be remote, permanent or combat summon, the effect would be what it summons or how many.

It just wasn't planned or commented well enough.  There were too many steps, too much math, and a bunch of random modifiers where if X happened the spell would be more likely to go into this school or this path, if Y happened it would have Z added to its random name list, that kind of thing, and of course it was all in different places in the code which was commented poorly.  But I believe it can be done.

In both cases it was fun to try but if I tried again I would start afresh with a more complete plan.  Also, if anyone ever wants to do a total conversion mod I have a python script that makes every spell in the game except definable specific exceptions unsearchable.  Sadly the standard events are effectively impossible to mod out.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 07, 2015, 04:39:16 am »

If we're talking about cool mods, Kirkostaculus is amazing. I'd give you more info but... Just look at those gifs.

I've head that /v/anheim is a good place to get blitzes:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

You can get one done in an afternoon, though the length of that afternoon will depend on player count and game settings.
That's a community steam group, and the community it's for isn't Bay12. Why would you go play where you're not wanted?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:40 am »

anyone who wants to play Dom 4 is wanted

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 07, 2015, 07:01:02 pm »

I've head that /v/anheim is a good place to get blitzes:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

You can get one done in an afternoon, though the length of that afternoon will depend on player count and game settings.
That's a community steam group, and the community it's for isn't Bay12. Why would you go play where you're not wanted?

How come I wouldn't be wanted? Also it's not like I can link to a thriving Bay12 blitz community either. Dom4 games we have, blitzes not so much.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 07, 2015, 07:18:39 pm »

anyone who wants to play Dom 4 is wanted
What kinda game?
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 236