Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520885 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »

Thank god Dom4 isn't prices like Dom3 was.

Though it seems the AI is still as weak as it was in Dom3. Buying indie troops left and right.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »

Per the development team, the AI is nastier. My own experience agrees with their assessment, though I'm not exactly a master of Dominions - more like a competitive neophyte, albeit one who's been playing Dominions on and off since Dom1. But yeah, it's at least a bit more painful than it was in Dom3. And even if it's still recruiting independents, it should at least be recruiting better independents - the chaffiest of the chaff have #ainorec tags forbidding their use.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »

I haven't had any crashes but I did end up with one stuck game. Although I was save scumming so that might explain it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2013, 10:28:11 pm »

I like the nerf to the magic site spells so that they only has a 5 providence range.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2013, 12:40:24 pm »

I like the nerf to the magic site spells so that they only has a 5 providence range.

NOOO, that's more micromanaging. Dominions has enough of that to begin with and unless you can now have your mages auto wander around searching, I'm mildly disappointed.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »

Alkhemia misrepresents the remote site search changes.

Except for Augury, none of them have 5. They're all 3 or 4. Well, um, and Auspex is 2.

(Acashic Record is 10, though. So if you want to go all-out, it can still hit most of the map.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

(Acashic Record is 10, though. So if you want to go all-out, it can still hit most of the map.)
Only it's no longer a site-searching spell.

Also, there are items that increase ritual range.

I agree it's kinda more micromanagement-ish, but it's still an interesting new change.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »

Arcane Probing Evo 3
Bowl a Blood Blo 2
Haruspex Thau 3
Augury Thau 3
Gnome Lore Thau 4
Auspex Thau 4
Dark Knowledge Con 3
Voice of Apsu Con 4
Voice of Tiamat Con 5
Acashic Knowledge Con 6

All of them require two in their respective paths, except for Dark Knowledge, Bowl of Blood, Arcane Probing (only 1) and Acashic Knowledge (3 astral)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »

Only it's no longer a site-searching spell.

Also, there are items that increase ritual range.

I agree it's kinda more micromanagement-ish, but it's still an interesting new change.

Oops, right, I meant Knowledge, not Record.

There are also sites and thrones that increase ritual range, and some units (mostly pretenders, but still) who get a boost, too. The most interesting part of the change isn't really the site search spells, though; it's all the other overland rituals. Although there are scale issues based on map sizes. They have discussed the idea of allowing maps to modify ranges - it's not w/o precedent, as the next version or so should have map options to change sailing range.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:55 am »

Well...the way I see it, having a 2 all rainbow mage as the pretender or disciple is good as 2 magic as they can find majority of sites as you go around conquering it. Or you can go the route of using rituals to systematically find the sites, but either way it seems to be setup to balance the two. From what I've seen, you cant find multiple gem type sites with a single scrying type, so if there is one that gives earth and astral then you would need to use the scrying of both to find it or maybe not...I'm actually not sure about that since its using a rainbow mage to search turned up tons more multi sites vs almost nothing but single sites from scrying.

On another note... Lemuria(late age) is interesting since majority of their troops are ethereal and freespawn wherever you have a temple(some do free spawn is areas you dont but those tend to be a bit weak), main downside to them is that they slowly drop population to 0 in any territory they have control of. So most other nations would have to bring items that give supply to be able to effectively siege their castles
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2013, 11:41:39 am »

Lemuria, being Soul Gate Ermor of Dom2 reborn, is interesting but not really novel. It's basically Dom3 Ashen Empire Ermor without any corporeal undead and with Soul Gate permacast. If you want something interesting (and for a long game, possibly a bit challenging), play with them as the pretender with C'tis and/or Argatha as disciples. I've got a game like that going, and the AI minions are actually doing rather well despite their portions of the empire rotting from the inside out. I'm tempted to try it again as the disciple, in fact, as that would probably be the substantially more interesting experience...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2013, 11:44:16 am »

So how are the Generals in team play? Are they like mini-pretenders or sucky sucky people who suck?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2013, 12:46:06 pm »

Disciples have 300 points to spend on a pretender chassis (drawn from the pool of those with base dominion of two or less - so yes, dragons, wyrms, Virtues, and master liches) and their personal magic paths. Scales and wakefulness (imprisoned pretenders make for dormant disciples) are left to the capital-P Pretender, whose dominion (and national dominion effects, and bless effect) will be what the team ultimately has to deal with. But as to whether they suck, or if they're mini-pretenders? Well, again, they're 300-point pretender units... who are prophets of the real pretender. So, um, permablessed, though they don't have Holy-3. As far as raw combat potential goes, they can be nastier than their pretenders, though they don't necessarily have the developed combat potential of the larger humanoids.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:07:03 pm by E. Albright »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:59 pm »

They are easier to min/max, if the pretender ignores magic and just grabs dominion traits(all at 3 and dominion 8 is possible I believe). You know...I keep forgot that the bless troop bonuses comes from the pretender's magic.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:37 am »

It seems protection isn't an end all anymore.
My fully kitted bane lord got done in by 10ish low tier troops :P
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 236