Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521121 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2013, 11:28:22 am »

Ouch. Still protection never really was an end all. Gotta mix in stuff like luck, ethereal, mist form, regen, etc. My personal rule is at least two different forms of defense for a thug.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2013, 11:34:51 am »

Well, if we're on the subject of things that no longer are end-alls, luck has changed, too. It's 75% now, but only vs. deathblows...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »

Apparently there have been 3 bugfix updates since I downloaded.... maybe that's why I'm crashing so often.

Whoa. My MA Caelian High Seraphs take two turns to train now, but they have a default 17 research ability plus they double the magic scales research bonus. Oh and the lightning they throw stuns everything nearby as well as doing good single target damage.

Edit: Hmm... that doubling might not be strictly accurate. High Seraphs get a 10% chance at a bonus magic path and it looks like the research bonus accompanying that bonus research path is multiplied by the magic scales (2). My A3 W3 High Seraph has 19 research, but my A3 W2 S2 one has 21. Still tons of research, but they take 2 turns to train.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:00:18 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2013, 09:47:55 pm »

Just downloaded and overall I like it.

Blood slaves auto transferring to the lab is nice, even though the removal of tax control makes blood hunting overall more difficult.

Some interesting new blood spells like blood feast, blood fecundity and blood vortex.

Changes to commanders are welcome and I actually will on occasion recruit non mages now.

Changed luck spell is interesting in that it's still useful for casting on chaff units.

Terracotta army is nice because it synergizes well with fire evocations and actually uses fire gems if you have an abundance.

Not sure why there needs to be distill gold, transmute fire, alchemical transmutation and earth gem alchemy. Two would have sufficed imo. Can't even argue that the lesser spells still have a use late game unlike some other low level spells.

Wouldn't personally say the AI has gotten harder. Beating them back quite easily with several small armies of EA Ermor's levies backed by augurs casting body ethereal and haven't lost more than a few units each battle. Actually since they don't have the huge chaff armies anymore, I don't even have to use as many units because fatigue isn't as much of an issue. :P

Does horror seed actually work now?

It seems like thrones of ascension require a priest level 3 which is kind of annoying for nations without those being recruitable. No, I'd rather not have to move my prophet around everywhere and I might as well kiss my sanity goodbye if I'm playing as an immobile god without a prophet around.
Sure thing peanut man!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2013, 10:53:29 am »

Probably noobish scenario, many turns went by and I left several forts auto building ministers of magic(tien chi faction research mages with a single random magic) when I finally went up against ulm who at this point controls half of the map...probably one of the worst ideas ever to rush a fort 371 of them along with about 250 infantry and 180 calvary, I mean yea...it was a slaughter but it took about 5 minutes just to process that one battle :'(
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2013, 03:28:43 am »

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but in Dom3, what's a easy nation to start and learn the game with?
They started to collide~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:49 am »

I'd say Middle Era Ulm. They've got very good province defence so you can feel reasonably safe from attacks; rely on pretty straightforward tactics and battle magic; and thanks to the combination of cheap item forging and nice Iron Angel summons can play a bit like an RPG.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2013, 05:43:27 am »

Ok, I'll bite. After I get my shift-pay this month I'll consider going for it. 25€ is still pricey though...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2013, 10:13:58 pm »

Desura is still listing a 5 October official release date, but the new patch they pushed out tonight replaced the beta-labeled executable with one labeled as full game. So further delays seem unlikely...

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:30 pm »

Interestingly enough, it still gives the beta warning at the title screen.
Sure thing peanut man!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2013, 03:38:03 pm »

You all might find this interesting. The podcast Three Moves Ahead did an interview with the makers of Dominions and talked about the Dominons games. You can find the episode here.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2013, 11:51:44 am »

Has anyone got any mod battlespells to work?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 06, 2013, 04:28:16 am »

It is on Steam!

Link Here!

(Edit: Normal Price $35, Discount $29.75)
15% off till the 12th.

Loved Dom 3, though never got on the online scene. I'll likely give it a try on dom 4 when I get it, though that likely wont be till January as I am broke this month.

I am rather curious...

All the same empires make it?

Anyone get cut or any additions?

As far as I know I kept up with the patches when I last played (6-7 months ago?)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:29:48 am by deoloth »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:56 am »

LA
-Ermor has been changed a bit. Now it's called "Lemuria", and is full of ghosts(some immortal), basically.

MA
-There's another water nation called "Pelagia", but it seems similar to Oceania, as far as I can tell.
-The Carrion Woods path of Pangea has been split into a separate nation called "Asphodel".
-Dom3 MA Ermor is now called "Sceleria", while the old LA Ermor has been moved to MA.

EA
-Machaka now has also an EA variety. Elephants, lions etc, rather than spiders.
-Phoenicians-inspired "Berytos", mixing a bit of Hinnom and the new Machaka, plus sailing.
-and Pelagia again.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2013, 05:10:19 am »

I never actually touched Ermor, but it sounds interesting that it sounds like it goes predominately incorporeal undead.

I think I like the idea of more water happenings... How is Oceania now? I only tried them once or twice, however from reading fourms I got the feeling that people considered them underpowered in Dom 3.

I tended to play mostly in the MA, I think I only have a few games in LA, maybe several in EA. I was always fond of Tien and Man, though Ryleth and C'tis were sometimes fun to play, and I had at least a few dozen games played. Not sure how my skills would compare to others, but my games typically had all A.I.s set to difficult with 3 or 4 set to mighty.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 236