Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520290 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1740 on: December 09, 2015, 04:46:19 am »

It got cast recently in a game I'm playing now. It turned all my provinces cold, which would be bad for my cold blooded units, but then it disappeared the next turn.

I figured someone whacked the pretender who cast it.
Happened recently in one I was playing in too. I had a pile of astral gems and some S3 sages from a Golden Throne I was occupying though, so I just took it down with a Dispel. Does that one actually awake giants of some sort if left to last, as its descriptions alludes to?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: December 09, 2015, 04:52:43 am »

Granted, I've only cast it once, in Dom3, so it might have been changed.
Nope, there still are the Niefel giants attacking randomly everywhere. I read that they're more likely to attack where there is high enemy dominion.
Still, a bit disappointing : the nation who would benefit the most from it while having the paths (Niefelheim) basically has the same giants, so their enemies might already have the defenses against it set up.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: December 09, 2015, 10:56:49 am »

How does one protect himself from acid?

You don't. Acid is the only element with no resistances tied to it, so no specific way to protect yourself against it exists. Pumping up natural protection and defence is the best you can do.

Being on fire is some real effect or just ,, fancy" graphics?

It is an actual effect. I believe that it deals some damage over time along with fatigue. Very useful as EA/MA Abysia given how few your troops are, yet they all have considerable heat auras.

Are angels supposed to be that creepy?

Yes. Most of them are taken straight from the Bible/Old Testiment too, so the developers weren't pulling them out of their asses or anything like that. That is really how they are described.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: December 09, 2015, 12:12:42 pm »

It got cast recently in a game I'm playing now. It turned all my provinces cold, which would be bad for my cold blooded units, but then it disappeared the next turn.

Happened recently in one I was playing in too. I had a pile of astral gems and some S3 sages from a Golden Throne I was occupying though, so I just took it down with a Dispel. Does that one actually awake giants of some sort if left to last, as its descriptions alludes to?

Same game, and aha, so that's what happened. By the way, after you went AI your AI got aggressive and started taking provinces. Hasn't sieged any forts yet, though. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: December 09, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »

Same game, and aha, so that's what happened. By the way, after you went AI your AI got aggressive and started taking provinces. Hasn't sieged any forts yet, though. :P
Oh hey... Trafalgar. Should've noticed your steam profile link sooner. >_>
And good to know. I left it some decent tools to facilitate whatever destruction it decides to unleash. I suspect I would have started doing the same. And would have failed as quickly as it will. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: December 09, 2015, 11:15:29 pm »

the last game that i played, my entire army of 90 units and the pretender god dissapeared for no reason after i sucessfully siega a citadel, i get less than 9 casualites, destroyed their god, and my army and god disappeared for no reason and the game just continues on in the next turn how northing happened, and they aren't even listedon the units overview menu and nothing just gone!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: December 10, 2015, 02:21:45 pm »

Are there any army wrecking battlefield enchantmets, which stay after the caster retreats from the battlefield?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: December 10, 2015, 02:41:49 pm »

One example:
The holiness of the Ark is so great that it constantly spreads the Dominion of its owner to all nearby provinces. If the Ark is brought into battle, it will kill and blind all heretics and spread disease among them. Only priests and sacred troops of the proper religion are spared from the wrath of the Ark.
That's an artifact you can make.

There are also regular items that can apply permanent effects, like eye loss (eye shield), or disease, etc.

The Shrink spell has a permanent effect. Blindness. Enfeeble (I haven't tried this one). Petrify. Liquify. Bone Grinding.

And so on. A lot of these spells I haven't used because why cast a spell to cripple someone when you can cast a spell to kill them instead? The items are more useful because you can put them on a non-mage, such as a thug or SC.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: December 10, 2015, 03:05:54 pm »

Are there any army wrecking battlefield enchantmets, which stay after the caster retreats from the battlefield?
Any of the damaging/debilitating battlefield enchantments would, near as I can recall, though most of them wouldn't do much if the caster was the only allied thing on the field before retreating. Wide spread poison would tick away for a bit after a retreat, but it isn't likely to do much to anything except bog-standard human armies, and even then from what I recall the actually battlefield wide one(s?) take some time to ramp up (so an immediate retreat would be fairly suboptimal). Otherwise SL covered most of it pretty well.

Though to the reason for crippling instead of killing... it can be a nasty thing to do to enemies units with an upkeep, especially if you can manage it en masse. A bunch of blind sacreds or whathaveyou are pretty close to gold-sinking weights around your opponent's neck, and they have to sink resources/attention into either fixing them or getting rid of them. Diseased et al casters and whatnot can cause your opponent to do possibly silly things in an attempt to eke out a bit more use before they die, and feeblemind or whathaveyou is always amusing to drop on that 200+ gold/dozens of gems commander if you can't actually kill them. Softening up an encroaching army or SC with afflictions can also lead to your opponent overestimating what they can accomplish when the real battle comes. Lot of good reasons to spread the affliction love around, providing you can manage it and don't have anything better to do with your resources.

And in the end, a lot of times it's just that much easier to cripple something than it is to kill them outright, and then you can either deal with them later with much less effort, or laugh as your foe is stuck with the now-useless things. The latter's particularly fun, honestly. There's few things quite as amusing as a giant death-stack showing up at your castle's door, half blind, all diseased, and starving, promptly routed by a force a fraction of their size. Not even killed, but set to running and still sucking on the teat of your foe's coffers and scattered to the winds to boot. There's lamentations when that happens, shadow. Lamentations.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: December 11, 2015, 02:27:58 pm »

So I tried to play a game as LA Ragha, Dual Kingdom, but the manual doesn't seem to have this nation??? What's going on? Is the manual wrong?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: December 11, 2015, 02:42:42 pm »

It was added in a patch, iirc.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:11 pm »

It should be in the dom4 inspector: http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

(It seems to load properly in Microsoft The Edge but as of the last few months, not in Chrome anymore, for some reason.)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: December 11, 2015, 02:50:47 pm »

If I had to guess, that would be due to how the nation was added later on in a patch. The manual came out earlier than the nation did and I suppose the manual wasn't updated if you don't see anything about Ragha in there.

They're pretty easy to play. The griffin riders are excellent and about 6-8 can take out almost any independent province. You get some nice magic diversity with your mages although some of them can only be recruited in certain climate scales. Going into Evocation is nice of course because you can throw around air and fire magic. You can also branch into blood pretty easily. Mmm I think with some luck and boosters you can forge soul contracts. Not sure about the national mages but I'm pretty sure one of the national summons has enough blood and fire to pull it off after you build some blood boosters. I used a bunch of devils led by the national summon commanders late game.

Oh and the temples are expensive but they give you fire gems. Only up to a certain amount, though I'm not sure what number it caps off at.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 11, 2015, 02:55:26 pm »

Max dom, so up to 10.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: December 11, 2015, 08:39:10 pm »

They also have a lvl2 unique construction item "Crown of the Shah" that gives a commander leadership and H bonus.

In case you don't check Desura's modding subforum there is a mod (Visible Sites) that removes the need to site search by making sites visible by default. I find it really good for SP. A lower frequency would also be interesting for MP.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 236