Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521108 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1995 on: March 03, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »

Anything dies if you hit it with enough disintegrates.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 03, 2016, 05:51:53 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just follow the God Vessels around with expendable armies and retake the land that they capture?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 03, 2016, 05:54:32 pm »

@Shadowlord: Sure. But 22 MR means "enough" is not a tiny number, and the damage reversal and assorted other shenanigans means it's going to take a reasonable amount of bodies to hold it still long enough to build up "enough". And meanwhile it's eating 1k people per turn...

@EH: As long as they're expendable, I don't see why not.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:09 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just follow the God Vessels around with expendable armies and retake the land that they capture?

Both of these are completely viable strategies assuming that you're prepared for it, the God Vessels happen to spawn in the right place, and your enemies don't capitalize on it. Those are some big ifs in a multiplayer Dominions game, particularly the lattermost point.

The problem with UIO is that it's is a russian roulette spell. I've seen games where things fizzle out in a couple turns... and I've seen games where a God Vessel pops up on capitals, in-progress sieges, or important provinces and completely changes the course of the game.

And heaven forbid you're playing with the type of nut that designs their nation explicitly to rush UIO and actually pulls it off... Some people just want to see the world burn.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 03, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »

Yeah, that's true.  Plus there's no guarantees as to who the god vessels are going to end up targeting; they could target frontrunners or weak nations, multiple god vessels to one guy, ect...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 04, 2016, 01:01:39 am »

You don't want to kill god vessels. They're worse after they die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 04, 2016, 02:59:08 am »

Pretty sure the damage from disintegrate will carry over and kill the wounded form the same way a 40 damage hit can one-shot a jaguar warrior.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 04, 2016, 03:19:20 am »

Pretty sure the damage from disintegrate will carry over and kill the wounded form the same way a 40 damage hit can one-shot a jaguar warrior.
Might be right, actually. I haven't seen that done since before the patch that made damage roll over. I'd still rather just hope they go away, getting a disintegrate past their MR is going to take a lot of ablative chaff at best.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 04, 2016, 09:41:28 am »

Extra endgame spells mod looks so awesome, will be dissapointung if it does not work on older versions of game :(

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:37 am »

You'd think that - I THOUGHT that - but a quick test with 12S, -5 pen Debug Sensais casting Soul Slay shows that no, when the God Vessel is broken by 999 damage spells the Legion of Gods still shows up. Perhaps it's a question of the Vessel being undead.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 05, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »

Most likely. Should try it out again with disintegrate or something else that hurts both the living and the dead... Out of curiosity, how did the battle go? Lopsided as it was, what kind of destruction did the vessel manage to pull off before getting sniped?

But yes, as shown, that's a spell which is very much "screw everyone; myself included". Kind of thematically accurate, in that it's potentially the last-ditch attempt thrown out by a desperate, dying race in the middle of a lost war.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 05, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »

I'd love to have more big spells - not just endgame. Maybe a 30 F spell with low requierments that drops a metor on a completly random province, adding a amazing magic-site but removing most population and troops?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 05, 2016, 05:28:32 pm »

Soul Slay hurts both the living and dead, and neither part of the God Vessel is mindless, so that wasn't it.

It was pretty lopsided - I think it only took 2-3 rounds to kill both parts - it took longer to clean up the skellispam it summoned than to kill it. But that was fighting 5 Sensais who were each effectively -9 pen, so you'd expect them to splatter something with "only" 22 MR.

Also, don't forget the spell gives you ~200 Penumbrals and ~70 Umbrals (!!), so it's not like your not getting a very real benefit out of it besides Darkness and screwing with everyone via Unity, Tranquility, and Serenity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 05, 2016, 05:48:53 pm »

... someone should make, like. A scenario or somethin'. That starts off with basically every omni-hostile roaming entity in the game (maybe some of them with multiples) already up and roaming. Maybe several really nasty global enchantments, too. Basically make the thing a hellworld full of wandering horrors, and see who can survive to conquer it. That sounds like it'd be good for a laugh :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 05, 2016, 06:16:41 pm »

... someone should make, like. A scenario or somethin'. That starts off with basically every omni-hostile roaming entity in the game (maybe some of them with multiples) already up and roaming. Maybe several really nasty global enchantments, too. Basically make the thing a hellworld full of wandering horrors, and see who can survive to conquer it. That sounds like it'd be good for a laugh :V
Having played a game that got to a similar state, it's not fun at all.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 236