Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520334 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2055 on: March 11, 2016, 11:10:58 am »

Basically, they're random events that are linked to each other over a certain amount of time/player interaction. A kind of "mega-event".

Which brings me back to Ur, and the special event they can get which says they're gearing up for a fertility festival, so they need a priest-king and priest-queen available in the capital for when it does happen.

If you don't have them both there when the time runs out, there's a big spike in unrest and you get a couple death scales for a while. Fun times!

What happens if the lovely couple actually is available?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:03 am »

You get +3 to growth, +1 to production and some candles. Nothing too special, but that's not the end of the event chain. In Summer and Fall you get +1 Growth, -20 Unrest and 100% province taxes because of the Sacred Marriage. It's not 100% of your total income, but your home province usually has an income of 400+ so... It's nothing to sneeze at either. Mind you this event really sucks if you get it early, because if you don't have the two units available you get stuck with some popkill, unrest and Death events. Needless to say, recruiting an Ensi and Entu ASAP is important if you're Ur and have story events enabled.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2057 on: March 11, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »

I love dominions 4!
 8)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:35 pm »

I love dominions 4!
 8)

I think everyone on this thread does mate  :P
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:18 pm »

I love dominions 4!
 8)

I think everyone on this thread does mate  :P

I love dominions 4 because nation gen actually kinda works for it.

Even if it leads to a moment of "wait, that unit can turn into a Air Elemental?" kind of moments.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: March 11, 2016, 10:04:18 pm »

I love dominions, but I've found pending MP turns end up being just another thing for me to be anxious about.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:42 am »

It's not too bad if you limit yourself. Used to be I could play two, maybe three well paced games. Now I'm sticking with one. At one time I think I was in five concurrent games and it was about as awful as it sounds.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: March 12, 2016, 03:06:25 pm »

I love dominions, but I've found pending MP turns end up being just another thing for me to be anxious about.
There are definitely times when one isn't in the mood for them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: March 12, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »

There are definitely times when one isn't in the mood for them.
With experience, you can submit turns that move things forward sorta but don't take up a lot of your time.  Better than stalling, at least.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: March 12, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »

Well, I think it sounds more as though when enigmatic hat sends a turn in they get nervous until the turn is returned? That's how I'm reading it anyway. Some people just have different tolerences for this sorta thing, and Dominions is a game that does encourage you to be a bit of a control freak in regards to your armies. Plus once that's over, you don't get the turn in right away, so you end up dwelling on it. In that case, it sounds like Server multiplayer would be something to do instead if you have anyone interested in running a game around the time you guys are awake.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: March 12, 2016, 11:20:46 pm »

Alternatively, Llamaserver could be used, but everyone just submits their turns quickly and repeatedly.  I had one game where we we started on a Friday and were on turn 6 by the end of the weekend.

But thanks for clarifying chaoticag

Yeah, I've occasionally been anxious about how my battles would resolve, especially on the first turn of a new war.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: March 13, 2016, 07:32:52 am »

How do I sceleria?
What are death theme nations with amassing undead capabilities except sceleria, lemuria and ermor?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: March 13, 2016, 08:29:00 am »

Asphodel, Therodos (in theory, anyway :P), LA C'tis, probably Nazca (though iirc their reanimators are kinda' expensive) would be the major ones, near as I can tell. LA Argatha might be a less numerous contender.

Anything that has access to reanimating priests or an equivalent, really, or those few that have national undead summoning spells they can actually spam. Conceptually, anyone with death access (to at least D2 or so) can mass undead, it's just significantly more expensive for 'em gem-wise and notably less sustainable than those that have freespawn and/or reanimating priests.

As for sceleria, haven't played it terribly much, but from what I understand it's mostly just "Keep recruiting priests,* keep having them bring up longdead, bury everyone under a wave of corpses that eventually starts outproducing Ashen Ermor." Sprinkle with skelliespam assassins, gigantic communions, and something along the lines of great frothing hoards of astral artillery (1/4th of your grand thaums can mind hunt or VotD), and you've got most of sceleria's sceleria. Honestly, they're probably the game's least fiddly/most straightforward undead massing nation, it's just wrangling all those priests is something of a nuisance.

*Cultists if you're cash strapped/don't have a lab in the province, lesser thaumaturgs otherwise, indie priests everywhere you don't have forts and they can be recruited. Every H1 priest is another 3 longdead (more if you give them the reanimation amulet whatsit) per turn for as long as they live! Get lots. You probably want gold scales just to keep up with the priest recruitment.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:31:50 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: March 13, 2016, 08:58:36 am »

Nazca is kinda different on the reanimation front, since their reanimators are indeed really expensive, but they also get access to ethereal, flying sacred undeads.  It's less drowning an enemy in worthless chaff and more getting a really cheap (outside of the ridiculously expensive reanimators, that is) army of nasty bless chassis flying around.

Lanka has some decent reanimators for getting some nice chaff to go along with the demon armies. Let's also not forget LA C'tis and their massive dead armies.

Nazca really is kinda backwards in that regard. Their cheap swarming chaff are living slaves, and their elites are the risen sacred dead.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: March 13, 2016, 09:36:41 am »

Honestly that fits very well into Nazca's theme. They're obviously based on the Inca, and if I remember correctly the dead were treated with far more respect than the living. So you ended up with a family squating in one room while their ancestors had four rooms all to themselves and some nice furniture to go with it. Having the living be far more disposable than the dead just makes sense to me.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 236