Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521105 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2280 on: May 01, 2016, 10:28:58 am »

In the (recent!) past I've put a dozen scouts in an army to trololo both assassins and mind hunters.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:55 am »

I can confirm that the dome is set up at random. But it was a good gamble. Three spells came through. One killed a mage, another one was dealt with by body guards, and the third was a multiple horror show that killed a couple of troops, but probably just wasted gems. On the bonus side I got to view the sorry state of the formations. Five spells were stopped.

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:54 pm »

Quick modding question: Is there any way to change the icon for sites? There doesn't seem to be a mod command that I can find to set what it appears as. I ask because a magic site that I modded in seems to have been assigned a volcanic icon that doesn't really fit what it's supposed to be.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:22 pm »

I assume its somehow based on what gems it gives.

EDIT: Or uh, sites have a #path command apparently. That probably sets the image. 0 is fire, so volcano is probably the default image.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:14:54 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 06, 2016, 03:34:28 am »

Feels like I already know all the races and games are starting to feel repetitive. Any idea on how to rekindle my interest?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 06, 2016, 04:21:05 am »

Feels like I already know all the races and games are starting to feel repetitive. Any idea on how to rekindle my interest?
Multiplayer, especially disciple games tend to be a lot more interesting. Not sure if you've tried that yet :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 06, 2016, 06:53:58 am »

Could also consider giving mods a shot. There's a good chunk of them, and some of them (like cataclysm, ferex) changes quite a bit about the game itself.

E: ... and suddenly a nationgen version of cataclysm sounds really appealing. Hrm.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:55:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 06, 2016, 10:06:56 am »

MP or SP? I imagine MP would help with longevity a bit if only due to longer matches and challenging opponents. Then there's always NationGen, which incidentally seems to be moderately popular with the MP crowd here. NG generates nations randomly so you can get all sorts of cooky stuff.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 06, 2016, 11:09:34 am »

I'll second the advice to do multiplayer if you haven't. But then, if you haven't played multiplayer, you haven't really played Dominions in the first place.

If you have, and you're still having this problem, that's what meme games are for. Playing with NationGen would be the most direct remedy. But other unusual formats, or odd rulesets (eg Quadbless Quadbest) shake things up too.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 06, 2016, 12:36:29 pm »

Yes, MP is where it's at. I play those slow one-turn-a-day games, for a total of a bit over 100h and I still discover new things. Only played two or three nations, and I don't think I've ever played MA. Never an underwater nation. Only made it into late game once. The game doesn't get old, but of course taking breaks is a good thing to get the interest back.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:54 pm »

Joe's having trouble understanding how to effectively integrate mages into his army.

I picked out ME Pythium to learn my stuff with, because Sssneke and not an emo necromancer.  I then added a 5 earth 5 nature 2 fire god.  Which is awesome, but it turns out the only one capable of any sort of effective sight hunting is the pretender (which seems like a waste of 32 research and a pretender) and the arch theug (which is frankly kind of weak as a mage)

I get that they are supposed to be a nation of communions, but even that feels like a waste of commander recruitment.
  The mages cant cast all that much in the way of destruciton, and they dont summon that much either.

Do I just forego the use of these silly mages in combat and use them for their intended purpose of building temples, an occasional acolyte to preach, and as weak conjurationers/forgers?

I dont mind the legionary bit; it works out until I hit magic critters.  But then I feel like Im throwing poo at a wall made of poo.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 09, 2016, 06:08:17 pm »

Their intended purpose is not building temples, it's making everyone else quake at the raised voices of the Celestial Chorus. Seriously, Pythium is a vicious nation as far as battle magic goes. Recruit some communicants (the troops) - let's say 8, have four or five Theurgs or  Arch Theurgs cast Communion Master, and script them to cheerfully cast Thunderstrike until their script runs out. This is a recipe for dead communicants (communion management actually involves a certain amount of thought), but it should hint at the gruesome power of Pythian battle magic.

If that seems like too much trouble, have an Arch Theurg cast Storm, and a bunch of Theurgs cast Storm Power and then as much Lightning as they can. It's not as elegant, but it works.

There's a lot of other really nasty shenanigans they can pull off, but these are very straightforward.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:10:20 pm by E. Albright »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 10, 2016, 12:07:10 am »

Pythium's angel summons are generally overpriced, but there's one that for, 25 (I think?) pearls summons a flying angel that can sweep PD aside with barely any equipment.

Really there's all kind of nastiness Pythium can do with their mages, but for the early game you pay the price of, well, being Pythium.  They don't expand well.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:47 am »

Yeah, the Harbinger's pretty neat. 20 protection, Awe 5, and an AOE attack that will bust up unarmored dudes. I wonder if I still have that image edit I made to color his horn like a vuvuzela...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 13, 2016, 04:32:45 am »

I just lost a decisive battle to an opening move of mass flight that wiped out most of my rear-most mages :P

Is it always the defender that gets the first turn of a battle?

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 236