Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521292 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2550 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:58 am »

If the "skill level: beginner to medium" thing was enforced, I'd be interested.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: September 01, 2016, 07:17:13 am »

Speaking of blood, have you been blood hunting? I consider it vital for Marignon to save grand masters from old age using boots of youth. Anyways, if you have, you could potentially have someone repeatedly horror seed the province, once they've been boosted or empowered enough to cast it.

I find it pretty pointless to dip into blood magic if you don't have any mages with blood magic to start with (MA Marignon). I don't even recall successfully hunting for blood slaves without a blood mage. But to get enough to empower a mage with it? Doesn't seem realistic.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: September 01, 2016, 08:29:20 am »

You can do it. It's not as easy as it was in... Dom2, I think? But it can be done. It helps to find a blood income site, and there are more than a few of those, including thrones. But even if not, you can cobble your way up to 55 and start proper collection.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2553 on: September 01, 2016, 09:30:34 am »

What's the expectations on playing this? At least once a day? Multiple times a day?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:02 am »

We would start with once every 36 Hours, but if there are any issues, we can always delay or move to 48h Hours.

A round is hosted once every person has submited a turn. The last permission to submit can simply wait 1-2 minutes and then receive the next turn, so if you really want to, you can do a double turn once every 72 Hours.

Since we are all such busy adults, I find this quite comfortable.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: September 01, 2016, 10:34:25 am »

Alrighty. Sign me up to be trounced :)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:52 am »

I think I'm ready for a multiplayer game too. How do they work? What is the time limit on how long you have to make your turn?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: September 01, 2016, 11:02:43 am »

I think I'm ready for a multiplayer game too. How do they work? What is the time limit on how long you have to make your turn?

Answered two posts above ;) had the same question :)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: September 01, 2016, 11:08:05 am »

Answered two posts above ;) had the same question :)

O, maybe I should have read that most closely, I thought you were asking for the time it takes to play an entire game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: September 01, 2016, 11:52:33 am »

Yeh, in Dom2 bootstrapping into blood was considerably easier since the SDR worked on commanders without blood magic, giving them a kind of "fake" magic level for the sole purpose of hunting. Terribly useful.

But then, Dom2 also had things like fever fetishes, bloodstones and clams. Fun times.

I do actually kinda miss the dominion modifiers you could have... Or was that in 3? I don't remember.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:00 pm »

Speaking of blood, have you been blood hunting? I consider it vital for Marignon to save grand masters from old age using boots of youth. Anyways, if you have, you could potentially have someone repeatedly horror seed the province, once they've been boosted or empowered enough to cast it.

I find it pretty pointless to dip into blood magic if you don't have any mages with blood magic to start with (MA Marignon). I don't even recall successfully hunting for blood slaves without a blood mage. But to get enough to empower a mage with it? Doesn't seem realistic.

You can do it. It's not as easy as it was in... Dom2, I think? But it can be done. It helps to find a blood income site, and there are more than a few of those, including thrones. But even if not, you can cobble your way up to 55 and start proper collection.

What I do with Marignon is put friars in literally every province and have them blood hunt. They occasionally find stuff, and with so many, it's enough to acquire a fair few blood slaves. It helps that you can recruit friars in every province with a temple, so you don't have to waste fort-turns, just gold.

(And again the main reason is to empower someone to make boots of youth, so Marignon's ancient mages and stuff can stop getting diseases and other afflictions from old age in the middle of wars.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: September 01, 2016, 01:15:57 pm »

Friars are great, man. They're stealthy, they got H1 for doing the shit H1 gets to do, they're cheap as sin, they can shuffle troops in a pinch... Just all-in-all wonderful little henchmen to have running around.

LA Marignon really misses out on that, I feel... The Missionary is neither stealthy nor has any real leadership ability. All he's got is the sailing, which is big whoop when all he can lead normally is 10 units.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: September 01, 2016, 07:10:55 pm »

I won a MP game and I still lose to the AI, its a strange world. Personally, while I enjoyed Dom3 (and had some fun with strange hotseat games [look away for 15 mins dude]), playing MP was certainly what made me stick to dom4.

On that note, super casual near-vanilla Round 23, medium pace - rules basically like round 21, except maybe different throne settings & map, intrest check #2

Round 21:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158361.msg7015442#msg7015442
I haven't tried MP Dominions yet and am interested.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: September 02, 2016, 06:20:58 am »

I would suggest Middle Age for the game, Map based on players, any special wishes?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: September 02, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »

I think I would enjoy single element play styles, as in a battle of the magic paths. But I have a feeling it would be wildly unbalanced.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 236