Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521295 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2565 on: September 02, 2016, 01:31:07 pm »

I don't know how things are usually done, but randomly assigning factions to folks could be cool so people who have been playing a long time don't pick their favourite faction and play its strengths perfectly.

I would also be up for a disciples game, if some more experienced players would like to take lead on godhood.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: September 02, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »

I'd like to try a disciples game.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: September 02, 2016, 03:58:34 pm »

The lords of hell dont look that impressive for level 9 blood magic, 150 blood slaves and 8 points of blood magic mastery you need to summon them  :-\

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: September 02, 2016, 04:11:10 pm »

They can rebel against you, too.

I think you're better off using certain of the mass-summon spells. (The ones that throw lightning are pretty nice)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: September 02, 2016, 05:15:22 pm »

Speaking of mass summon spells, how do you guys make use of ivy men spam and corpse construct spam? It doesn't really ever seem to be worth it other than to create a massive choke point in fortresses. Is it really worth the item building to make these summons more efficient?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: September 02, 2016, 05:20:07 pm »

I think one of the main reasons they're so expensive is because they can singlehandedly plonk you firmly down in a different branch of magic. Bind Demon Lord is strictly blood magic, but the summons have things like 5A or 5F. Three have 3D, two have 4N, and Ashmedai comes in with 3S which isn't exactly worth a whole heck of a lot as far as bootstrapping, but hey. It's something, and it's combined with 3F 5B, which is a rather nasty combo. Plus Ashmedai has the whole "battlesummon 1d6 succubi" which can be pretty crazy.

Belial is amazing for fucking up someone's prized provinces/commanders, Pazuzu is constantly followed by a storm which means he can just bounce around with a bunch of storm demons and make them wreck even more shit than they usually do. Put Buer anywhere near a non-fire resistant army and you can pretty much call it a day, and Geryon... Well, Geryon is a tank. Pretty much.

Ashmedai has his neat paths, the succubi summons and generates 3 blood slaves a month, as well as having overall reasonable stats, Belphegor is a bit less impressive but he does have the blood slave generation as well as his ever-growing horde of spearmen, plus he has 4F4E4B, which means if you have no fire magic he can build himself a booster and singlehandedly call in one of the kings, not to mention that he can do the same for earth but even easier thanks to Pedoseion.

All in all, yeah, I wouldn't say they're particularly worth the bother... But in certain circumstances, it might be worth knowing that those path options are available, however expensive.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:49 pm »

Speaking of mass summon spells, how do you guys make use of ivy men spam and corpse construct spam? It doesn't really ever seem to be worth it other than to create a massive choke point in fortresses. Is it really worth the item building to make these summons more efficient?
Corpse constructs, definitely, the things are honestly kinda' amazing. They're superlative and rather impressively gem efficient HP sponges if you stick a couple of the boosters on whoever's summoning 'em, if you have need for something that's basically just a bundle of health and sod else (and you'll almost certainly have plenty of situations where you will, so having a supply sitting around is nice if you can field 'em and if you have things that can summon them you have things that can lead them, probably).

Depends a lot of what casters you have, though... folks like the bat doods, who have fairly easy access to A1D1 casters you probably don't have much better to do with makes a solid target. If you've got the items (and a storm spool and the zappy stick are pretty cheap), it's a pretty decent use of their time, and if left alone long enough or enough casters are invested it can give you something that can really jam up an enemy army or five while your actually combat effective stuff gets work done.

Ivy men... well. Let's comparison shop! and vastly bloat the size of this post in the process :V They're less efficient HP/blocking wise -- they start with 3, but their boosters only total up to +4 with the artifact (and that only if the caster has two heads. Realistically it'll cap at +3, with the artifact), and one of those is the staff, which costs 40 nature gems. Meanwhile the constructs start at 1, but get +5 between the two easy items, another +2 from their expensive booster (staff of storms, still 10 gems less than the treelord stick, and +2 over the lightning rod) and +10 from the tome. So the likely base investment would be 4 (just the +1 crown, for 68 hp and 4 size 2 bodies per gem, 1 1/3rd squares blocked) vs 6 (150 HP, 6 size 3 bodies per gem, three squares blocked) per cast, with a kit cost of 5N vs 5E5A -- though it's obvious enough which of those two you're more likely to have the magic access for, heh.

Max output is incredibly telling, though, ha. Vinemen will realistically (very little has two heads, and none of them are worth using to make vinemen -- vine ogres, maybe, but not men. Conceptually you could be using a unit that has built in ivy lord but again if you've got them they probably have a hell of a lot better things to do than summon vinemen... even animists) top out at 6 per batch (102 total hp, 6 size 2 bodies, 2 squares), while the constructs top out at 18 (450 total hp, 18 size 3 bodies, 9 squares), with N50 (max path N6) vs 45A10D (max paths A5D2; and that only loses on 2 constructs (50 HP, 1 square) if you want to swap 30 of that A for 5E and bring the max paths down to A2D2E1). If what you're after is a lump of HP to get in the way, corpse constructs are ridiculously more efficient gem wise, even with just the base boosted loadout. Providing you have access.

Stat wise, the vine men have a bit of protection and 2 attacks (which with the size two makes them theoretically more effective at actually damaging larger targets, but functionally they're not going to be hitting much anyway so *shrugs*), and a bit of attack type resistance, but they lose out on basically everything else, save being not undead (which can indeed be an issue, as the constructs' MR is shite. Vinemen's only one better but they don't have banish to deal with, either)... though they are magic beings, which means it's probably even harder to get commanders for 'em.

... tl;dr: If you're comparing the two the vine men are a lot easier to get to*, but broadly speaking the corpse constructs are a hell of a lot more effective at what you're going to be using them for, more or less always and on every front. Or, saying it another way, you've probably got vine men but spending the gems on them is pretty iffy (among other considerations, you've probably got a lot of better things to be spending the N gems on), whereas you probably don't have constructs but if you do there's not terribly many better uses out there for one air gem and some rando A1D1 caster with a couple trinkets on it.

So yeah. Constructs are worth investing in boosters in, imo, and I definitely try to have a handful of spool/rod summoners set on monthly if I've got access. Vine men... not so much. They're still decent chaff, but unlike the constructs they're not really amazing chaff. Though you're a lot more likely to incidentally end up with their boosters and/or N1 casters, so if you don't actually have to go out of your way for it, it probably won't exactly hurt. Much.

*Just N, only N1 if you want to pump out 4 at a time, vs A1D1E1 if you want 6 constructs a go -- though you're still more gem efficient on HP and roughly on par with obstruction with just 3 constructs via spool and no E access.

and now I have wall of text'd over corpse constructs. folks, i may like corpse constructs i never really get to use them but bloody hell they're just great
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: September 02, 2016, 08:11:23 pm »

I actually used them in a game. They're hilariously good combined with storm demons. Immune to lightning and enemies have to fight through the constructs to get to the real danger. I can only think of two things off the top of my head that I'd be terrified of:
1. A marble oracle with shock-protection gear (I once took a level 3 throne guarded purely by shock-type monsters (and a pretender-level air magic giant-person) using such a SC, and like with most uses of marble oracle SCs, it was like a hot chainsaw through butter), or
2. A really clever player who knows all the rules and all the tricks, like E. Albright.

Things like flying enemies can be neutralized easily enough by leaving some constructs surrounding the storm demons.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: September 02, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »

That said, vine ogres do have 55 HP a pop, 12 attack skill, 9 prot and the blunt/pierce resist traits. Also, notably, they heal normally. They're also not considered lifeless for some reason.

Corpse constructs don't have the protection or the blunt/pierce resist, but they do have elemental resists for cold, shock and poison, whereas the vineboys only resist poison. However, while they do have the perfectly respectable 25 HP, this won't heal outside of a lab.

Everyone is a poor amphibian, so no difference one way or the other as far as that's concerned.

Now, the fact that vinemen/ogres are mindless but not lifeless is rather interesting... They're still 0 encumbrance, but the difference is they'll get affected (and thus targeted) by things like Luck or Drain Life.

Make of that what y'all will.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: September 02, 2016, 09:58:07 pm »

They're plants. No plants are considered lifeless just by virtue of being plants. Lifeless is reserved for a certain class of dead things or things that were never alive, not just things that aren't fauna. There are actually a reasonably large number of things that are mindless but not lifeless, with the basic categories being plants, bugs, elemental spirits, and void-touched beings.

Vine ogres are pretty nice. In absolute terms they're barely more expensive than vinemen... and since the base summoning numbers are nearly the same, that means vine ogres actually scale up a lot better with any and all Ivy Lord boosters. The only reason I'd ever summon vine men over vine ogres is absolute desperation coupled with a lack of an ogre-capable mage. If you don't have the paths to summon undead, vine men make passable unroutable lineholders (which can be a pretty huge deal in the face of fear)... but they're not ideal, and if I'm going to the trouble of stacking boosters I want vine ogres instead.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: September 03, 2016, 08:35:23 am »

Which is nice because the only readily(-ish) available booster outside of the crown is the treelord staff, which provides +2N. So if they could only cast vinemen before, they could cast vine ogres after.

...then again, it's bloody expensive. Especially what with how discounts are now fixed gem amounts instead of percentages.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: September 03, 2016, 09:23:10 am »

I'd honestly count the three treelords as almost as readily available as a staff - they are, after all, slightly cheaper. If you get the youngest of the them, +2 isn't great but it's probably more useful than research if you don't have anything better to do. If you get the oldest, +4 is almost certainly better than research on those turns when you don't have specific uses for 5N...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:15 am »

Well if you're gonna do things that way, you might as well summon ivy kings. Uniformly +3, and they can actually wear hats for the extra +1. And ivy king +hat has the same base cost as summoning one treelord. Plus you can get as many as you like of 'em.

But there it's all a question of what you personally view as more available in the situation. Ench7 versus Conj7 versus Cons6.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: September 03, 2016, 12:26:53 pm »

Ivy Kings have no head slot, actually...

(Plus, since they're not immobile, I'm more inclined to do things with them, while tree lords find themselves in the position of casting about for some way to stay busy almost constantly.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:54:01 pm by E. Albright »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: September 03, 2016, 04:33:42 pm »

Is there any way to turbocharge your horror artillery?
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 236