Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517442 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2580 on: September 03, 2016, 06:36:38 pm »

Yes, the blood global which makes all other forms of magic attract horrors.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: September 03, 2016, 07:07:17 pm »

That's about it, though. The spells themselves seem to not have an MR check, so you can't really do anything to your casters to make them better at it save parking them on a blood magic discount site, and even that just lets you afford to pump out more.

Some indirect stuff you can do, too, I think... darkness, any way to reduce morale at a distance (starvation, etc.), stuff like that. All the horrors (well, save clockwork, but those don't count :V) have fear and darkvision or blind fighting, and the primary ones you blood spell over fly in storms, so anything you can do to leverage that will help out your artillery. If you can preferentially target things in provinces with magic scales, they'll be a bit stronger, too. Can also try the standard curse/disease stuff... basically anything you can to either make the horrors stronger or it more likely they're going to leave a lasting effect even if they don't kill anything.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: September 04, 2016, 02:59:17 am »

Is there any way at all to get your hands on a Doom Horror? Doesn't matter if you need a pretender god with level 10 astral and every magic penetration option available and 100 communion slaves. I just want to know if it's possible.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: September 04, 2016, 03:07:28 am »

Is there any way at all to get your hands on a Doom Horror? Doesn't matter if you need a pretender god with level 10 astral and every magic penetration option available and 100 communion slaves. I just want to know if it's possible.

You can wish for horror with wish spell, and there is like 20-50 % chance, that it will turn on the caster.
Otherwise you will get to control it for like 3 turns.
To maximise chances of not getting obliterated you will need to have banish to hell/ kokytos (To gift all those demons in hell !INFINITE FUN! with doom horrors)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: September 04, 2016, 08:00:54 am »

So, ah... What happens if you cast Hell Power as a communion master? Do all the slaves end up getting it too? So there are suddenly a buttload of commanders each with a chance to summon a horror every combat round?

Even better, what about communicants?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2585 on: September 04, 2016, 08:49:52 am »

So, it's totally these conversations that make me scared of trying multiplayer ;)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: September 04, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »

For as much as I like to poke and prod and read and test things, I really haven't a damn clue how to play the game. I just started an AI game to see if maybe I could hone my skills a little bit.

Was trying out a fire bless for Bandar Log. The tigers were pretty goddamn scary when they got into melee, whole swathes of enemy troops would just disintegrate on contact. ...only problem was that my archers just seemed to love firing wherever the tiger riders were, so there were a few highly unnecessary injuries.

Anyways, I thought I was doing fairly well for myself, and then I saw my neighbors... On one side, Abysia. On the other, Ashdod. Both some heavy contenders with more than their fair share of fire resistance.

Greeeaaaaaat.

Then Asphodel attacked and started doing the army chase through my provinces, predicting where I was and wasn't going to be and then crapping all over what PD I'd managed to build up... Irritating, since I knew I had a good shot of taking them in a fair fight.

Finally managed to get them to stop by being a sneaky little bastard, but it ended up being a pretty costly move due to stupidity... I got a rishi to teleport in to their army and then cast returning, basically just to get in there before they moved and disrupt their moving out of the way (I was reasonably certain that's how it worked, anyways...). Only problem was I was greedy, and told him to cast a horror mark before pissing off.

Second turn of battle, just before he casts returning, he gets caught by a stray arrow and implodes.

Managed to take out their army with a buttload of spare yogis forming a communion and then blasting the carrion with solar rays, leaving the living beasts for my white ones and elephants to mop up. Worked out reasonably well, all in all... Also pretty sure that's my first time actually using a communion. I'm... Not sure it worked the way I was expecting. I figured the magic boost from communion would let them cast solar rays naturally, but it wasn't represented in their displayed paths and I think they kept using pearls to cast it.

At that point I was getting a bit fed up and designed a new god instead. Meh.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: September 04, 2016, 12:16:06 pm »

Did you ever see 4 full blesses pretender builds in multiplayer?( nonmictlan ones)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: September 04, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »

Not really in ours.  The most likely outcome of a four bless build (especially non-Mictlan) is to ruin one person's game with an early game rush and then lose to everyone else.  We have a loose understanding that we're not going to engage in super earlygame rushes, and that build would only be used for that.  Under anything approaching normal circumstances, you should be able to get what you want with a triple major (let's be honest, you don't even need that).  Adding a fourth major forces you to stick those last, most brutal scales into the red.

I did run a triple bless build in a disciples game.  But then I was running with a totally new player so I saw it as the best way to victory.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: September 04, 2016, 08:08:33 pm »

One day I am going to make a crone with all points put into magic paths for blesses, play as MA Marignon then spam nothing but sacred units. Would also be cool to have a use for the ark.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: September 04, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »

Why crone? Crone ain't the bargain pick she used to be. Honestly I don't know why she costs as much as she does nowadays, the only thing she's got going for her now is slightly different inventory slots.

In other news, MA Man... Or should I say, MA Monksmonksmonks?

Seriously, just can not get enough of those little freaks.  Too damn useful.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: September 05, 2016, 02:27:52 am »

Why crone? Crone ain't the bargain pick she used to be. Honestly I don't know why she costs as much as she does nowadays, the only thing she's got going for her now is slightly different inventory slots.

In other news, MA Man... Or should I say, MA Monksmonksmonks?

Seriously, just can not get enough of those little freaks.  Too damn useful.

Doesn't she have drastically reduced "new magic path" costs? Meaning you can get the blesses of every magic path for cheaper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: September 05, 2016, 03:12:03 am »

... don't think so? No more than any of the other rainbow mages, at least. There's a good handful that all have the 10 cost for new thing, though I can't recall which ones also have a higher chassis cost.

Though even with that, iirc some of the 20 or 30 cost ones actually crunch out to be cheaper for a multi-bless strat, both for the higher base dom (which is still important, unless you're blessing sacred giants or something and only need to recruit 2-3 a turn... and can somehow to leverage the bless to keep from getting domkilled) and higher/more starting paths.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: September 05, 2016, 06:14:48 am »

What's everybody's favorite era? I'm most used to the middle ages. I ask because I'm wondering about which era to do the blood magicks in.

Speaking of which, what are the best teams for blood  magic in the era?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 05, 2016, 07:15:45 am »

Alright, I put up Round 23 - Bay12GamesRound423

The Aim of the game is a balanced, low to medium skill round. If you are expierenced, you are encouraged to play a non-competetive role that you enjoy. I - unless someone else calls dips - will be playing a certain race of tentacle faces and my main goal will be to summon doom horrors for the shits and giggles. My specific, self set rules are:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, depending on the amount of players we get, I'd be totally fine with making a bunch of 2 player teams with a newb/pro teamup situation and some rogue loners like myself.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 236