Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521420 times)

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2775 on: September 20, 2016, 09:47:53 pm »

Just popping in because I'm curious who is playing on your disciples team for community clash.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: September 21, 2016, 02:42:33 am »

Probably your best chance there would be doing it to a province with a magic scale site, heh. Can't recall if there's any rituals that would let you do it own your own.

... actually, now I realize I can't recall exactly which scales can be modified like that. I know heat/cold is an option, and sloth, but the rest...

Ether gate for the soft price of like 70 90 astral will boost magic.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:47:43 am by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 21, 2016, 04:24:28 am »

I think you mean 90 astral pearls. Unless they brought that price to be more reasonable.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 21, 2016, 07:31:03 am »

Probably your best chance there would be doing it to a province with a magic scale site, heh. Can't recall if there's any rituals that would let you do it own your own.

... actually, now I realize I can't recall exactly which scales can be modified like that. I know heat/cold is an option, and sloth, but the rest...
Mod Inspector sees all, Mod Inspector knows all.  It looks like most scales can be affected by sites, though some scales are much rarer than others: Heat/Cold, Growth/Death, Order/Turmoil, Magic/Drain, Luck/Misfortune, and Production/Sloth.  Heat/Cold and Growth/Death are by far the most common, while Production and Luck are both dead last with only one non-Throne site each, for which the Production site is also unique.  Your site bets for Magic are the Cursed Land, Enchanted Current (UW), Fathoms Deep (UW), The Cliff of Seven Directions, The Last Void (UW), as well as The Shattered Throne and The Throne of the First Age.  Save for the Cursed Land, all of these are unique and rather rare sites or thrones, and some of them have awkward side-effects (The Cursed Land curses units, and The Shattered Throne also spreads Misfortune, Curses, and Horror Marks).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 21, 2016, 07:43:13 am »

Main reason I liked the drain dominion was that it let me take a W9F9 Viracocha bless while still keeping mostly-decent scales. ...buuut yeah, turns out it doesn't work as I'd hoped.  Same for Pythium, who actually gets a hell of a lot of use out of a magic dominion thanks to recruit-anywhere cheap mages who aren't even heretics.

Also, does geoglyphs actually boost the magic of the province or boost the effective magic level of the casters for the sake of casting rituals? Never used it ingame.

As far as modifying scales with spells goes, there's also misfortune via Rain of Toads and I think Baleful Star... But there's not really much reason you'd want to keep a province with heavy misfortune.

On a different note, there's apparently a random event for LA Man that has as one of its firing conditions the requirement that EA Helheim is in play. So, uh... That's either a bork or they actually took the time to make an event specifically for people playing with an any-era mod.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:42 am »

But there's not really much reason you'd want to keep a province with heavy misfortune

There are ways...

It isn't done too often but there are people who tank luck, without tanking everything else, in order to dominion harass their opponents with misfortune.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 21, 2016, 08:00:28 am »

Yes, but that's for the sake of using aggressive dominion. I'm talking about making a secular province so that it holds on to the scales it has without being shoved around by dominion effects.

...also, did they change how fortune/misfortune work? I'm pretty sure your luck dominion would count as an equal level of misfortune when affecting enemy provinces, so a positive luck dom would still help you while hurting your enemies.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 21, 2016, 09:43:38 am »

I've never heard of positive scales hurting enemy provinces. I think they're all treated the same, but I could be wrong

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 21, 2016, 12:33:28 pm »

That's half-right. They're not treated as negative if they're positive; they're treated as neutral. So hostile dominion means the range of scale values effectively becomes -3 to 0.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 21, 2016, 03:04:04 pm »

Looking around, it seems the "Luck scales act as misfortune scales for the enemy" is a long-persisting myth from the Dom 2 days. Found a lot of references to that claim, as well as people mentioning how it's just this rumor-legend that's been going around for years and refuses to die.

Sooo... I guess that explains where I got that from. Must've picked it up floating around as a "hint" somewhere.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: September 22, 2016, 12:50:02 am »

Just popping in because I'm curious who is playing on your disciples team for community clash.
The line-up is myself, Jilladilla, and Cheeetar, as well as some alternates standing by. There's a thread in PwYB, but most of our discussions have been via pm.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: September 22, 2016, 02:46:33 am »

How much "range" is there between my front row and the enemys back row? How much "range" is the neutral zone?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 22, 2016, 02:57:07 am »

IIRC it depends on the army sizes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 22, 2016, 05:03:32 am »

It's 15 titles from the friendly front to the enemy front(line), it seems.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: September 22, 2016, 07:11:28 am »

When attacking indie provinces, the distance between the front lines is exactly the distance both frontline troopers can move, it seems...  So the indies always get a big fat first strike on all your expansion party.

Seriously, it just keeps happening. I swear those priests can see the future.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 236