Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517567 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2805 on: September 28, 2016, 10:24:34 pm »

Enslave Mind has a range of 100 instead of 20. :)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: September 28, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »

Enslave Mind has a range of 100 instead of 20. :)
Ah, so it does. That's a good reason  - at least to start off casting Enslave mind first, then switch over.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: September 28, 2016, 11:43:56 pm »

I had the crazy crazy idea of modding in a sci-fi alien invaders faction, which could potentially have a ton of nation-specific crafting stuff and "spells" for constructing most of their units (using gems as power crystals or something like that)... but it doesn't appear possible to disable a single nation's access to the generic spells and items.

(It'd be a ton of work anyways, though, so it'll probably just remain a crazy idea)
Also, MA R'lyeh is already space aliens.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:43 am »

I had the crazy crazy idea of modding in a sci-fi alien invaders faction, which could potentially have a ton of nation-specific crafting stuff and "spells" for constructing most of their units (using gems as power crystals or something like that)... but it doesn't appear possible to disable a single nation's access to the generic spells and items.

(It'd be a ton of work anyways, though, so it'll probably just remain a crazy idea)
You could give the nation no national priests and make all of the spells use Holy instead of regular paths. Then give the priests Inspired Research at some low level.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:42 am »

I wish R'lyeh had some real void magic, like a version of the horror seed (or a battlefield-spell version), some "turn you insane" spells, some "Open extra void-gate in rando province", "Call extra metorstrikes full of crawly strangeness", etc...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: September 29, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »

You could give the nation no national priests and make all of the spells use Holy instead of regular paths. Then give the priests Inspired Research at some low level.

If the spells and items were all holy, they wouldn't actually need research. Of course, items can't have holy as a requirement (it's not possible to separate the path requirements from gem costs for items as far as I can see).

If you mean #divineins, that doesn't appear to allow specifying a level, it just limits the number of researchers per province to the dominion strength. If you mean #inspiringres, that makes researchers more effective.

I could see giving them spells and items which are level 0 only, and giving a large enough research penalty to their "mages" to make it impossible to research with them, along with #magicimmune. They'd have to rely on indie mages if they wanted to do research.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: September 29, 2016, 12:22:09 pm »

I'm like 60% sure holy spells can need research, actually. Cross-path ones, at very least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »

> Make combat pretender
> After first three rounds all ordinary barbarians run
> The chief of barbarians goes berserk and becomes unable to route
> Cuts off your pretender head with first strike
> GG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: September 29, 2016, 02:26:07 pm »

I'm like 60% sure holy spells can need research, actually. Cross-path ones, at very least.

Well, there are the Ashdod conjuration spells, but those are Death + Holy, not Holy + Death. Not coming up with any others at the moment.

Don't see why it wouldn't be possible, though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: September 29, 2016, 06:48:18 pm »

Don't forget Iron Darts/Iron More Darts. But I think those are the only other ones, yeah.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: September 29, 2016, 09:32:35 pm »

Asphodel has spells that require only Holy paths and are in Enchantment.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: September 29, 2016, 10:32:57 pm »

Asphodel has spells that require only Holy paths and are in Enchantment.
Enchantment 0, though, so they do not require research to unlock.  That said, they do confirm the precedent set by Ulm and Ashdod's spells listed above for pure-holy spells, in that there is nothing stopping similar spells from being given non-zero research levels.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: September 30, 2016, 02:28:35 am »

I just came up with the most stupid ...

Gelatinous Cubes are stealthy (and pretty neat overall) - and one can make a lovly sneaky army with them and the silly Star Children of Ry'leh. I just imagine a little star kid and his band of funny cubes very slowly wandering the countryside.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: September 30, 2016, 07:56:41 am »

I just came up with the most stupid ...

Gelatinous Cubes are stealthy (and pretty neat overall) - and one can make a lovly sneaky army with them and the silly Star Children of Ry'leh. I just imagine a little star kid and his band of funny cubes very slowly wandering the countryside.
What do you even call that? The "Wandering Jello Salesman" strategy?

I started a new game as MA Pangaea, to get back into playing this game a bit. I'm still in awe of how stupidly powerful the Quicksilver Stampede is against basically any troops not backed by heavy magic. Pangaean White Centaurs, under a Water+Fire major bless. (Just enough points left over to have 7 dominion, 3 turmoil and 1 luck, on an imprisoned statue of war pretender). With 3 turmoil the pans and the Statue will have you swimming in free, upkeep-less flak, and the Stampede seems to flatten just about everything. In straight-up combat at least. They don't fare so well in taking fortresses most of the time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 30, 2016, 08:52:38 am »

Are you taking an awake pretender? Going to all the trouble of blessing the white centaurs, I'd just as soon take an imprisoned statue and get some better scales. The statue's barbarian summons aren't that great if they're just an add-on to pan swarms, and they cost just as much upkeep as regular recruited-barbs. Pump up luck at the very least, and I tend to like going for growth as well to kinda ensure your investment returns on provinces, and also to keep up with the supply demands of so many maenads and satyrs.

Also, the white centaurs are berserkers, which means that once they're set off they'll get +2 fatigue every turn whether they fight or not, and fighting will accrue the usual levels of fatigue. For berserker summons, at least some earth reinvig is really helpful if not outright necessary in order to offset that.

Aaand then there's the usual gripery about them being cap-only sacreds and you don't have any H3 priests to bless parties without a prophet, but the dryads are at least H2 so there's that...

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 236