Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521113 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3030 on: January 06, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »

Not that a army in dominions can ever be "cut off" from supply (unless you got a commander with food items running around?) - supply lines would've been nice, with "Logistics" as a commander skill that sucks up supplys just like "administrator" does with castles, from provinces near him, with "well feed" armys (2x there supplys needs) getting more moral or something like that.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:02 pm »

Yeah, that's a misstatement on my part.  I should have said any army that is in a province with a supply limit lower than the supply needs of the army (including magical items such as cauldrons, wine, summer swords, and the like).  It would be nice to have more detailed logistics networks, but it's probably not entirely period-appropriate; the idea of an army feeding itself via a dedicated supply line rather than from forage only begins to become particularly significant in the late Early Modern Era and particularly the Napoleonic wars, while most Dominions conventional armies draw inspiration from, at the latest, the very start of the Early Modern Era (LA Marignon, Jomon, T'ien Ch'i, and Bogarus, to wit). 

But really, if you don't have commanders with food items running around by mid-game, either self-forged or traded for, are you really getting the most out of your doomstacks? :P
EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I suspect that statements like that actually make it pretty obvious I typically play nations that can recruit better than simple chaff on a large scale. ^_^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:13:38 pm by Culise »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #3032 on: January 06, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »

Fortresses do increase supply in relatively near provinces (maximum distance of four) based on Administration. I don't know how meaningful that is, but I suppose it can't hurt.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 06, 2017, 08:41:31 pm »

Odd, maybe they managed to work that out earlier in the series. I do definitely recall there being a mention of nation-specific turn priority.

And as for earlier-priority attack events stopping a raiding party, that's either no longer true or there's a special exception in place for the AI. Wasn't that long ago I had an AI army roaming around in my provinces, and I threw some call of x spells at it specifically so that I could hold it in place long enough for my retaliatory force to arrive.

Ritual cast, enemy army was attacked by weak summons that were quickly destroyed, actual army arrives in a vacant province as the enemy force has gone off to take another unprotected province in between those events.  So something's definitely fishy.

Also, I am anything but an expert at this game. I've as yet never played so much as a single MP match of it. I just like fiddling with numbers and combos and such...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: January 06, 2017, 08:59:43 pm »

Odd, maybe they managed to work that out earlier in the series. I do definitely recall there being a mention of nation-specific turn priority.

And as for earlier-priority attack events stopping a raiding party, that's either no longer true or there's a special exception in place for the AI. Wasn't that long ago I had an AI army roaming around in my provinces, and I threw some call of x spells at it specifically so that I could hold it in place long enough for my retaliatory force to arrive.

Ritual cast, enemy army was attacked by weak summons that were quickly destroyed, actual army arrives in a vacant province as the enemy force has gone off to take another unprotected province in between those events.  So something's definitely fishy.

Also, I am anything but an expert at this game. I've as yet never played so much as a single MP match of it. I just like fiddling with numbers and combos and such...
You need to drop enough forces on it in the ritual spell phase to actually defeat it or at least eliminate its commanders if you decide to use that technique; if it reaches the movement phase, those commanders able to do so will follow their movement orders.  An attack in itself is not adequate to stop a movement order.  Assassinating commanders works: Mind Hunt, Earth Attack, even Seeking Arrow or Wind Ride in a pinch.  Unled troops won't obey movement orders, after all.  Better still to drop an entire army on top of them, though: Astral Travel is expensive; Stygian Paths can be risky; Faery Trod can sometimes miss; but Cloud Trapeze is kind of a tradition for anything that can create an A2 thug or SC (Elemental Queens, ahoy) or, less commonly, Teleport for S3s.  As such, it's not an option available to all nations. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:02:02 pm by Culise »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: January 06, 2017, 09:00:45 pm »

Well, ritual spell combat doesn't stop armies from moving. It just generates combats during an earlier pre movement phase. Then movement is done and combats happen, unless something makes the move order invalid. So say it's summer and you ordered an army to move through a mountain pass. I would then cast wolven winter on either your province or the province you are marching to, making the connection broken. Your army should then not be able to pass, though I haven't tested this. There was also an example in the manual where a ritual is cast on a province that an army was moving through to get to their destination on the other side, and the movement is no longer processed since ownership flipped before the movement phase making it invalid.

I'll also say give the multiplayer a shot sometime, since I more or less stuck with singleplayer for the longest while, but I end up feeling there is a lot more depth that is brought out by human opponents, and drama, but the good kind, heh.

Not that a army in dominions can ever be "cut off" from supply (unless you got a commander with food items running around?) - supply lines would've been nice, with "Logistics" as a commander skill that sucks up supplys just like "administrator" does with castles, from provinces near him, with "well feed" armys (2x there supplys needs) getting more moral or something like that.
Fortresses do increase supply in relatively near provinces (maximum distance of four) based on Administration. I don't know how meaningful that is, but I suppose it can't hurt.
Baring access to supply items like endless bags of wine, a fortress is a valid way of making sure you can strike into 0 pop provinces. Supply also goes down during sieges, so there is in a sense supply lines, but they're also closer to ancient and medievel supply lines, more disorganized. Don't forget that part of supply is getting the resources and gold, and you can cut off provinces from a fortress as well.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: January 06, 2017, 09:18:19 pm »

That's odd, I could've sworn that combats of any kind would interrupt the army's move orders and reset everyone to default "defend". Guess I was just mistaken/thinking of an earlier installment.

Well, that makes the raiding forces even more amazingly annoying...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: January 06, 2017, 10:52:57 pm »

The nice thing about multiplayer, is it takes a rare player who is willing to do the same kinda low level raiding the AI does. They're more willing to commit to a push rather than send disruptive raiding parties, and when they do have raiding parties it tends to be some high threat units. Raiding parties tend to be really high risk for multiplayer it seems. I mean, they could work. Or they would break on a high PD province, and those units take time and gold to produce, then take actual time to manage. Oh, that also tends to be a declaration of war. Unlike singleplayer, humans players rarely want to be fighting now and all the time, so in general you tend to have less fronts to deal with.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #3038 on: January 07, 2017, 12:08:48 pm »

I tried the Wolven Winter on a mountain pass trick in the current Bay12 game, but it didn't work. Either that, or C'tis's army had mountain survival?

I did tons of raiding as Xibalba last game, but part of that is that between stealth, flying, and cheap units there was really no place I couldn't/wouldn't raid with my bats. But having played Xibalba, you kinda have to do it, since it's one of their main strengths.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: January 07, 2017, 12:32:22 pm »

I did tons of raiding as Xibalba last game, but part of that is that between stealth, flying, and cheap units there was really no place I couldn't/wouldn't raid with my bats. But having played Xibalba, you kinda have to do it, since it's one of their main strengths.

There is a good question there though, what are you supposed to do against organized resistance as LA Xibalba? EA Xibalba can summon the flying demon cats easily enough (Those things are scary with a heavy bless...), but LA Xib has far too many difficulties getting Fire/Blood mages to make that viable... (Don't you dare say just find a Garnet Amazon province! Those are RARE AS HECK!)

Raiding is good and all, but it won't win wars by itself...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #3040 on: January 07, 2017, 01:03:03 pm »

I had good success with Darkness+normal bats. But the issue I ran into there was that you need a (random) D3 Camazotz + a Skull Staff. (Though, you can still pull shenanigans with Sabbaths, I'm sure) But this, of course, requires having Darkness researched in the first place. It's more of a middle-late game strategy.

It's possible a more skilled player would have found an better way to fight conventional wars. Or just one who took an alternate strategy. I barely touched the frogs, for example, let alone the sacred ones.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: January 07, 2017, 03:18:53 pm »

Lots of nations like to raid, just not the way that the AI does it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: January 07, 2017, 03:39:16 pm »

So does Awe and Fear stack?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: January 07, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »

They work in completely different ways. So if you mean "can a unit have both," yes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: January 07, 2017, 04:22:14 pm »

Forts raise supply in nearby provinces, so if your army is too large to live off the land then yeah you can get cut off from supply and starve.  Unfortunately starvation itself is kinda an odd mechanic (IIRC it prefers giving units afflictions to actually killing them?)

If an army has to retreat and there's no where to go to they all die, which is powerful because often the last survivors of a battle are the mages; AKA the most/only important part of an army.  Unfortunately the way Dominions works its a lot easier to do this is a cheese strategy with magic or stealth than it is to encircle an enemy proper.  Super satisfying if you can pull it off regardless.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 236