Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 521088 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3090 on: March 04, 2017, 01:02:55 pm »

I wish Dominions wasn't so damn expensive. I'd be buying copies for all of my friends if each of them didn't cost almost 50 Australian dollars.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 04, 2017, 01:11:18 pm »

Keep an eye out, then. Even D4's had some pretty good sales already.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: March 04, 2017, 10:49:08 pm »

I wish Dominions wasn't so damn expensive. I'd be buying copies for all of my friends if each of them didn't cost almost 50 Australian dollars.
https://steamdb.info/app/259060/ shows that the game's had as high as a 75% discount (although those are just single day deals), but 40% and 60% deals look like they come around decently often.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 09, 2017, 05:00:05 am »

Looking for a replacement for Scaleria in Bay425

It is in a great place, 20-25 ish provinces, armys with a headcount of 1000 undead or so and a about equally sized enemy, afaik.

Info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 09, 2017, 05:53:37 am »

1000 or so undead is a bit underselling it. Might be about 10000 really, give or take 2000. In the spirit of fairplay willing to share what tactics I had used in the war I had with Scaleria and what counters scaleria herself used in order to fight back. Since I dunno what sorta scouting data is available, will limit things to stuff I have seen in battles.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »

Man, how do you even deal with that many undead?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:48 pm »

Priests, priests everywhere. Some anti-undead AoE stuff out there, too. Killing off commanders, helps, too. Just... maybe not assassins. You probably don't want to get in an assassin fight with scaleria.
Ask not!
Ask!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: March 09, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »

hahaha, questions were answered in an edit to the post above. Oops.

Anyway, does anyone here have any good strategies for dealing with Ulm? My friends and I have been co-op'ing against the AI (not enough players for a decent free for all), and by the time we get to Ulm, assuming the AI hasn't already destroyed them, they often have armies involving 200+ black plate armour soldiers and close to (occasionally over) 1000 men in their doomstacks. I'm just not sure how to deal with that when our footsoldiers can't compete with them 1v1, neither outnumber them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:15:27 pm by George_Chickens »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: March 09, 2017, 10:23:41 pm »

Anything that does fatigue? Or armor piercing/ignoring damage en masse. They're still humans, which means they're squishy if you can get through or bypass the armor, and they're mostly high encumbrance so if you can get your fatigue rolling they start dying easy.

Alternately find something that can tank 'em and get cho SC on.
Ask not!
Ask!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:27 pm »

Fatigue it'll have to be. Thank you! I tried doing a spear/shield wall as Abysia, but my 300ish troops would always get surrounded and slaughtered by the thousands of Ulmdudes.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: March 09, 2017, 10:39:09 pm »

Anyway, does anyone here have any good strategies for dealing with Ulm? My friends and I have been co-op'ing against the AI (not enough players for a decent free for all), and by the time we get to Ulm, assuming the AI hasn't already destroyed them, they often have armies involving 200+ black plate armour soldiers and close to (occasionally over) 1000 men in their doomstacks. I'm just not sure how to deal with that when our footsoldiers can't compete with them 1v1, neither outnumber them.

Magic. Magic is always the answer, especially against the AI. Look for spells which reduce or bypass their amour completely. Iron Bane is the obvious answer but might not be the best. It makes all iron armour rusty and break after a single attack. The problem is that against 1000 men doomstacks, you could easily run out of troops before they do since Iron Bane affects your own units as well. What nation are you guys playing as? That might help narrow down what spells you can use against them.

Alternatively 1000 men is a massive army and will eat a lot of supplies. I'm not sure if the AI is smart enough to use Bags of Wine and the like to solve supply issues, so luring the doomstack to some low supply provinces to weaken them might work. A bunch of wastelands and the like to wrack up those afflictions and maluses before you strike.

Fatigue it'll have to be. Thank you! I tried doing a spear/shield wall as Abysia, but my 300ish troops would always get surrounded and slaughtered by the thousands of Ulmdudes.

Ah. As Abysia just toss as many fireballs into them and call it a day, maybe throw in some Falling Fires and what not. Something with good AoE that causes fatigue. Heat from Hell is a good battlefield-wide spell to cast but you might not have the research to do so, especially as MA Abysia. Summoning some Fire Elementals might be helpful too, since they're ethereal and help spread the heat around.

Anything that does fatigue? Or armor piercing/ignoring damage en masse. They're still humans, which means they're squishy if you can get through or bypass the armor, and they're mostly high encumbrance so if you can get your fatigue rolling they start dying easy.

MA Ulm's units are surprisingly light on the Encumbrance, actually. Their guys start off at a base of 2 (1 less than normal humans) and Ulmish armour offers a ton of protection for their weight. We're talking 5~6 Encumbrance for the dudes without tower shields and 7~8 for the dudes with. Definitely not lightweight but not ridiculous either. Not!Roman legionaries get around 7 encumbrance for much less protection for comparison.

Mind you, fatigue stacking is still perfectly viable. And definitely a good idea against swarms of enemies controlled by the AI. Just not as super effective against MA Ulm as it used to be, that's all.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:33:17 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: March 09, 2017, 10:42:12 pm »

Ah, yeah, abyssia will probably have decent luck with cooking them. Raise up the temp, let em soak those heat differential encumbrance penalties. Add on whatever other fatigue you can and watch as they fall over when basically anything pokes 'em.

Though yeah, magic definitely works. Fireballs everywhere.
Ask not!
Ask!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: March 10, 2017, 01:53:46 am »

Well, if you might get your hand on banevenom charms and those undead ghost scouts, there is nothing AI can really do about it.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 15, 2017, 06:49:52 am »

Some communion questions:

If I have a crystal matrix on a mage X, will he be able to establish a communion even if he isn't astral?

Does it matter if slaves are casting their slave spell before or after X? I take it, the battle turn order follows the army list order?

I want to cast a level 5, three gem, spell on turn 1, X is currently level 3. If I have four slaves, I should be able to get to level 5 immediately, and cast it at a cost of three gems, right? If I have two slaves, X will be level 4, and needs 3+1 gems to cast the same spell?

Additionally, the slaves don't have the path of what is cast. Will X still get a level up in that path? How will it affect fatigue? In the battle spell queue, the spell I want to cast is greyed out, it doesn't seem to consider slave spells? What are the benefits of using a slave matrix instead? Less fatigue? Spell will get ungreyed in the battle spell queue?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 15, 2017, 07:32:33 am »

I'd like to know what the deal with communions is anyway. I'm not a very frequent player.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 236