Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 519937 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »

I like Valanis* because it has a good selection of all terrain types, and is a nice compromise between big enough to develop into a rich mid-game, but small enough that the gerbils powering my CPU can still get the turns processed. If I want to gives those little blighters heart attacks and care less about finishing the game, I'll do Glory or (cringe) Oerida*...

*I've been playing Argatha a lot, so a well-developed underworld is a major plus.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »

I always generate my own. It's usually a ritual when I plan to play, to sit down and generate maps for about ~4 hours until I get a handful of ones I like and find interesting. Dom's map generator tends to generate shit maps probably 3/4.

On a semi-related note, modding.

I haven't really dug into the documentation or googled anything, but I just wanted to ask in case anyone had some knowledge.

I like big maps and I cannot lie. :P Unfortunately, Dom's list of province names is woefully small, about 100 I think. So I get a ton of duplicate names. Basically the same story for Nation names. You start to see a lot of duplicates. Is there any way to mod this or is that all locked up in compiled code?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:26:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »

You can go into the .map file and manually add in names for provinces.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2014, 06:33:47 pm »

Man, this game does not like alt-tabbing or my 'low battery' warning showing up.  Every time I get kicked to desktop or whatever, it crashes so hard that it doesn't start back up even if I un- and then re-install - have to restart the computron and stuff.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2014, 06:34:36 pm »

I just play it in windowed mode...just maximize the window...then you will have no issues what so ever with it

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2014, 06:53:46 pm »

You can go into the .map file and manually add in names for provinces.

I was kinda hoping to to add names so that'd generate maps with new ones.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2014, 07:11:10 pm »

So I was looking around at mods and stumbled upon a map generator/province randomizer program for dominions 3.  I used it on the dominions 4 maps and it seems to work just fine.  The types of provinces I'm getting are interesting with the program, places with midget crossbowmen, tentacle beasts with 6 attacks, and one where the mages keep generating devils.  I've compiled the program plus all of the extra provinces into a .rar file for you guys to try out and download.  Note that you have to set the program to XP compatibility for it to run under windows 7/8.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w06e8vzlfcpsoj/SemiRandom%20Dominions%20Map%20Generator.rar

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2014, 07:30:58 pm »

I have to play in windowed mode too to avoid any complications. To be fair I'm running this on about a decade old machine so I'm not bugged by it.

One map I like to play on is Silent Seas (45+15), it's one of the default ones. 2-5 player map. I can usually get decent computer romps with two other random land nations on it. An island with forests up north, wastelands in the centre and some random terrain down south all surrounded by water. I don't think it has any caves but everything else is covered, more or less.
Official forum has some neat custom ones. I really like Valanis and the ones by Pymous. Once I have the time I'll try to get some playtime on Elmokki's maps. They have a nice gloomy appearance. Reminds me of autumn.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2014, 09:05:46 pm »

Oh gods I played 6 hours straight of this game.  I was playing as MA Ermor, the ashen empire.  Definitely an interesting empire, it completely switches the gameplay around.  I do have a few questions on how they work, though.

For the priests, you can cast different raise units with priests instead of preaching.  However, I noticed it only works if you have corpses to raise.  But I also noticed that units still freely spawn even when there are no more corpses in a province.  How exactly does the free unit spawning work?  Is there anything I can do to effect it?  I noticed some provinces spawn more units then others, what effects that?

Also, when I was putting together armies, I noticed ghouls can't be grouped in the same squad as soulless or skeleton legionaries.  It's because they aren't mindless, right?

I also noticed that sometimes (But not always) my undead swarms would be undisciplined.  WHY.  How do I make them disciplined and/or remove the undisciplined unit from the squad?

This is an addicting game.  Send help.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »

I also noticed that sometimes (But not always) my undead swarms would be undisciplined.  WHY.  How do I make them disciplined and/or remove the undisciplined unit from the squad?

If ONE unit has the undisciplined trait and you put him in a squad the entire squad becomes undisciplined

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »

For the priests, you can cast different raise units with priests instead of preaching.  However, I noticed it only works if you have corpses to raise.  But I also noticed that units still freely spawn even when there are no more corpses in a province.  How exactly does the free unit spawning work?  Is there anything I can do to effect it?  I noticed some provinces spawn more units then others, what effects that?
In the case of Ermor, three things effect their freespawn, so far as I'm aware. The strength of their dominion, and whether there is a castle or a temple in the province. Higher dominion = more spawns. Temple = better spawns. Temple + Castle = even better spawns. I'm not sure about castle by itself, though. I imagine that provides better spawns as well. S'far as I know, that's it.

Priest reanimating is a different thing entirely and yeah, as you note, primarily takes corpses (or just plain population, in some cases).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 11, 2014, 09:26:19 pm »

For the priests, you can cast different raise units with priests instead of preaching.  However, I noticed it only works if you have corpses to raise.

For reanimation, you need either corpses (for soulless) or population (ghouls). When you have neither, you can only reanimate do longdead/lictors/etc. You won't see either of those freespawning w/o the requisite "resource" either.

But I also noticed that units still freely spawn even when there are no more corpses in a province.  How exactly does the free unit spawning work?  Is there anything I can do to effect it?  I noticed some provinces spawn more units then others, what effects that?

Dominion strength, presence of temples, and presence of forts affect what and how much freespawn you get. E.g., without a castle you'll never get any of the national undead units spawned.

Also, when I was putting together armies, I noticed ghouls can't be grouped in the same squad as soulless or skeleton legionaries.  It's because they aren't mindless, right?

Yes.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 11, 2014, 09:33:39 pm »

What determines where temples can be built? I think I skimmed over the mechanics of temples too fast in the manual...but I know I can't place them in ever region...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 11, 2014, 09:39:38 pm »

Uhh, unless they changed it from Dominions 3, you should be able to build them wherever, but you need a unit with holy magic paths to build them.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 11, 2014, 09:40:27 pm »

Holy magic paths being priest levels or magic levels related to your nation?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 236