Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 520314 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3375 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:44 am »

Black Letter is what you get when you go to dafont and look for medieval fonts. Which is why I think a lot of this is testing to see which ones they like.

I do like heavier fonts actually, there was just so little to like about the Dominions fonts. It did fit the aesthetic better, that I do agree, and this does less. But it seems like a lot of things in Dom are finally starting to look like it was made after 2000. Now if the world map could just oblige.
Blackletter is a category. This particular blackletter font, and in fact all three of these fonts, were and are in CoE4 so I'm pretty sure this isn't just testing different ones.
I don't think modernity for its own sake is worthwhile. That doesn't mean nothing can be updated - I think doubling allowable sprite resolutions would make things easier for modders who have a bit more skill in traditional art - but UI aesthetics aren't something that I see an inherent benefit to, it's more like following trends than necessarily an improvement in quality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: September 12, 2017, 01:15:19 am »

I agree that they could be working toward a more flavorful UI, there'd be some real value in that. But I still think it's good they're updating the program to at least handle TT fonts. Then modders can mod in fonts they like more.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: September 12, 2017, 02:35:33 am »

I agree that they could be working toward a more flavorful UI, there'd be some real value in that. But I still think it's good they're updating the program to at least handle TT fonts. Then modders can mod in fonts they like more.

Honestly, I don't mind the UI aesthetically; it's always struck me as kind of pretty in a quietly informative sort of way. If they really wanted to improve it, though, more automation would be amazing. Even something like being able to script commander movement on the strategic map would go a long way toward improving blood slave tedium, and some ability to send commanders to distant provinces through a series of waypoints would make distributing cap-only troops/commanders less of a headache.

Or, more globally, human-readable .2h files would do wonders for a lot of these problems, although you'd probably want to keep being able to convert them to binary for emailing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:43:42 am by Trekkin »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: September 12, 2017, 03:13:43 am »

I'm charmed that we've got some movement back towards Dom1-style dynamic maps.

Woooooooo! Dom1 maps were awesome in their own weird, grainy, orange-y way. I'm a sucker for all things dynamic.

So, about real-time combat... What I'm primarily wondering about is how this will affect things like tramplers and horse archers. Tramplers will presumably now be getting attacked constantly as soon as they start trashing the enemy, but on the flip side this also means that they won't stop in the middle of a troop cluster when their turn ends in order to get pincushioned.

And as for horse archers (or the like), will they fire while actively moving, or will they stop, draw, fire and then continue on? It'll be interesting to see how a lot of different movement and attack types will get translated into the RT format.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: September 12, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »

This is probably a good time to remind everyone that this is the dom4 thread and dom5 has its own thread :)

I've actually got a couple dom4 related little questions.

First, I've got a province where I can't improve PD past 9. Is it a bug or is there some hidden site or is it a map feature? The map's Ragnaroc Comes.

Second, according to the manual undying grants the unit the ability to fight on while dead. Does the level of undying, e.g. undying +5, mean that the unit fights on until it takes another 5 points of damage? So it's kind of extra HP but the unit dies at the end of the battle? It's a bit difficult to check this in my current game as my blessed troops are bad at dying.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: September 12, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »

This is probably a good time to remind everyone that this is the dom4 thread and dom5 has its own thread :)

I've actually got a couple dom4 related little questions.

First, I've got a province where I can't improve PD past 9. Is it a bug or is there some hidden site or is it a map feature? The map's Ragnaroc Comes.

Second, according to the manual undying grants the unit the ability to fight on while dead. Does the level of undying, e.g. undying +5, mean that the unit fights on until it takes another 5 points of damage? So it's kind of extra HP but the unit dies at the end of the battle? It's a bit difficult to check this in my current game as my blessed troops are bad at dying.

Yup, there is a Dom5 thread.

Either way, your questions: PD is linked to province population, particularly low pop provinces will restrict it heavily. I don't remember the exact ratio, however.

Undying lets a unit fight with negative HP, for instance Undying 10 granted by a D9 bless would let a unit continue fighting until they hit -10 hp. Do note that units in the negatives will die at the end of battle unless the source of their undying is permanent (Prophets, Shrouds of the Battle Saint), or they have regeneration (In which case they'll come back into the positives during the post battle rounds)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

Is that how it works? The ingame description says that lifeless beings with the blessing will be able to stick around after the battle with negative hitpoints, but other, non-lifeless (a great descriptor, to be sure) units will die if their end-of-battle total is negative.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: September 12, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »

Yeah. But after the battle you get a handful of rounds for poison effects and the like to tick down. So if a unit has negative hitpoints then they'll die. But if they can regen enough HP to take them out of the danger zone then they'll live.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:54 pm »

Is that how it works? The ingame description says that lifeless beings with the blessing will be able to stick around after the battle with negative hitpoints, but other, non-lifeless (a great descriptor, to be sure) units will die if their end-of-battle total is negative.

To be fair, it does tend to be a fairly tight margin most of the time (negative hp, but not outright dead), and I tend to pair it with N9 when I do it. So I have no idea.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:37 pm »

It's a fun bless on plentiful squishies like flagellants, as it effectively doubles (or more!) their health for a given battle. Sure they die afterwards, but there are a lot of things that do just enough damage to kill off a 10hp human, but not a whole lot more, which means the ol' slapper brigade can get in some extra smacks.

Death weapons also pairs quite nicely, although it misses out on the reliability and +ATT of the fire bless. Still, even with MR Negates, flagellants put out a lot of attacks, and +2 AN damage can stack up in delightful ways against heavily armored foes.

Does it still have the hidden property of Death Weapon damage having a massively increased affliction chance? I know that death bless used to be +affliction rate, but after the switch to undying I'm fairly certain they kept the really high affliction rates and just hid it inside of the major bless.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: September 12, 2017, 01:29:56 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

The province in question has only 90 population so that explains the low max PD then.

The manual also gives the impression that undeads in negative HP will not die at the end of battle.

Does it still have the hidden property of Death Weapon damage having a massively increased affliction chance? I know that death bless used to be +affliction rate, but after the switch to undying I'm fairly certain they kept the really high affliction rates and just hid it inside of the major bless.

At least according to dom4's wikia article on blesses, death weapons have a chance of causing disease. Haven't played with death blesses yet myself so can't confirm.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: September 12, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »

Take my money, as usual. Dominions beats out even Arma in hours played / € invested.

Sidenote: Negative PD would be intresting, like the population hates you so much whatever attacks you gets some villagers and dogs to help them.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: September 12, 2017, 02:06:13 pm »

Take my money, as usual. Dominions beats out even Arma in hours played / € invested.

Sidenote: Negative PD would be intresting, like the population hates you so much whatever attacks you gets some villagers and dogs to help them.

It would be a good replacement/adjuvant for the random event where a province revolts, certainly. I've been trying out different approaches to a blood economy, and the patrol-free versions regularly hit 100+ unrest. Having effective PD = PD*(100-unrest) would be a cool way to represent the populace being so tired of you your own guards are willing to fight you and make chronic unrest in non-fort provinces more than an economic concern.

On that note, do we have any information on how patrolling actually reduces unrest (in Dom4) ? I see in the turn tips that high precision and movement make them more effective, but then I see that certain units have a patrol bonus; do we know how they interact?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: September 12, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »

Patrol strength (walkers) = (precision + ap)/20 + patrol bonus
Patrol strength (fliers) = (precision + MAX[ap, 30])/20 + patrol bonus

That's for the strength. I can't remember if the manual explains the mechanics of unrest reduction; it might.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: September 12, 2017, 02:22:26 pm »

Patrol strength (walkers) = (precision + ap)/20 + patrol bonus
Patrol strength (fliers) = (precision + MAX[ap, 30])/20 + patrol bonus

That's for the strength. I can't remember if the manual explains the mechanics of unrest reduction; it might.

If it does, it does not use the words "unrest" or "patrolling" to do so, but the patrol strength is a great help. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 236